• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“Holes”

ncfan

3 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

Personally I see CJ Stroud and Bryce Young as QB 1 and 2 but I only see Stroud as the one that’s worth trading up for. Bryce is a magician but he’s going to miss games in the NFL. He’s just too small and the pass rush gets even better at the pro level.  If we can’t get Stroud by trading up I prefer we wait until 9 and select one of the project guys and keep our picks. We can do damage with 2 second round picks and 2 thirds. We need offensive  guard help desperately if we are going to start a rookie QB at some point. Losing both starting guards in week 18 will have an impact into the upcoming season.  Let’s not act like Bozeman isn’t the perfect fit for the Carolinas either. 

Bozeman actually was a pretty damn good fit here and expect him to resign.

even then.  Very few teams are investing premium 1st rd picks on Centers.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

I don’t see many huddlers talk about the OTHER QB position that we’ve had a glaring hole at for awhile.

We havent had a dependable MLB since Luke retired. Personnel needs will obviously change if we move to 3-4, but its still a need nonetheless.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ncfan said:

I’ve seen a lot of push back regarding trading up for a QB giving away future 1sts and potentially a 2nd this year to move up for a QB?

But what “holes” are we concerned about?

digging deeper looking at this roster and roster construction across the league.

what are the most important foundation pieces In Todays league and what are the most common drafted positions in the top 15 in todays NFL?

LT- blindside protection.  Franchise LTs are up there.

Edge Rusher- Franchise number 1 edge rusher.  Getting after the QB

WR- teams go try to find that go to #1 WR

CB- CB1, A true shutdown CB’s

now let’s review our last 5 1st rd picks who are under contract and or looking to be Extended 

Ickem (LT), Horn (CB), Brown, Burns (Edge), DJ (WR1)

now let’s move onto our “holes”

how many teams across the league, their #2 WR was a guy they drafted in rd 1?

How many top teams in the NFL drafted their TE in rd 1?

How many teams invested their 1st rd pick in a CB2-3

How many teams across the league without a QB invested a 1st rd pick on a #2 edge rusher?

Buffalo’s only 1st rd pick on offense is Allen and only 1st rd picks on D are CB, Edge, DT, and LB

The Bengals only 1st rd picks on Offense  is their WR1, LT, and QB.  Defensively, the only guy in the First 2 rds is their Safety who was a 2nd rounder and hitting FA.

point is.  We are in good position to trade future picks to move up for the QB we like.

I think for a lot of people, they just don’t know about these QB’s and the risk is damn high. 

The top 2 QB’s are from schools that can hide deficiencies at the position. Doesn’t mean they aren’t great, but those programs always get production from the position.

Young is the size of a slot receiver too. That’s risky. Might not matter but it causes a hesitation. 

Levis looks gawd awful at times this year. Might not be his fault, but who knows. 

Richardson is super raw, and has big questions marks to go with tantalizing potential. 

SO RISKY RISK RISK ALL OVER. 

Then I think of players like YGM who are busts as high picks, so ideally I’d like to keep our premium picks to take more shots at positions like edge to make up for said busts. 

If one of these QB’s drops to 6-8 then trade up, but imo there is just too many question marks in these guys to trade the farm for. Haven’t heard a convincing argument otherwise. 

• Pie 2

A 45 to 50% success rate on 1st round QBs is not a smart bet. 

Who was the last QB that got drafted via a trade up ransom that worked out long term...

Wentz, Lance are the two most recent off the top of my head that teams jumped into the top 3 for.

Who else?

I believe history is on the side of taking who is available versus mortgaging multiple firsts. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Bozeman actually was a pretty damn good fit here and expect him to resign.

even then.  Very few teams are investing premium 1st rd picks on Centers.

Agreed. I dont want an offensive lineman with our 1st round pick. I prefer AR if we get stuck at 9 or Levis. I’ll let Reich decide which one works better in his offense. Our 2nd and 3rd round picks can cover the guard holes we may have. Resign Bozeman. 

The questions that linger can’t be answered really. 

How would Stroud perform at Iowa instead of Ohio State?

Would Young have been better than Corral at Ole Miss last year (and vice versa).

The schools give me the biggest pause, and as I said, it doesn’t mean they aren’t legit; it’s just that it’s harder for people in our position to know. 

We are working with incomplete perspectives. 

9 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

A 45 to 50% success rate on 1st round QBs is not a smart bet. 

Who was the last QB that got drafted via a trade up ransom that worked out long term...

Wentz, Lance are the two most recent off the top of my head that teams jumped into the top 3 for.

Who else?

I believe history is on the side of taking who is available versus mortgaging multiple firsts. 

You do realize that rd2-7 QB success is less than 1/4th of that right.?

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Mills said:

I don’t see many huddlers talk about the OTHER QB position that we’ve had a glaring hole at for awhile.

We havent had a dependable MLB since Luke retired. Personnel needs will obviously change if we move to 3-4, but its still a need nonetheless.

Because MLB is not as important as it was back in those days. This a passing league. MLB need to be able to play in pass coverage and play the zone.

MLB is simply not that important of a position anymore. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Because MLB is not as important as it was back in those days. This a passing league. MLB need to be able to play in pass coverage and play the zone.

MLB is simply not that important of a position anymore. 

This

its still important 

But you don’t see teams investing top 15 picks like they used to