• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting twist regarding Lamar Jackson...

Proudiddy

If you get a star franchise QB, at some point you're going to have to pay that star franchise QB. I don't care if you draft him or you acquire him in free agency. If you do draft him, you're lucky, but the clock starts ticking just as soon as there is a realization that he is one. At some point, he's going to want the top money of the day. The smart franchises just know how to manipulate that cap reality and their personnel better than others.

I remember some years back we were having a discussion that we needed to do whatever we could / trade whatever was necessary / pay whatever he asked to a certain quarterback from another team.

He was sold as a dynamic athlete who was worth the injury risk, guaranteed us a Super Bowl and any perceived weaknesses in his passing game were the fault of pretty much any and everybody else but him.

In the end, Michael Vick never took us (or anybody else) to the Super Bowl, but he won a lot of awards and had some really cool highlights 😕

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'd say that a dumb team is one that pays Carr north of 40 mil per. That's likely a dumb team.

That always depends on the results. Plus that $40 mil mark isn't really gonna look like much in a couple of seasons. 

Still, I don't want to be the team making an investment like that.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Ravens have proven themselves to be one of the better managed teams of the last two decades.  Their not being able to come to terms with Lamar Jackson should be viewed as a huge red flag.

Each team's situation is different. The Ravens haven't won a damned thing in ten years and only one in the last 20.  To hell with the Ravens! I mean, they have one of the best coaches in the league. They have a former MVP at QB, and yet they've squandered all the years of his rookie contract by just refusing to put any players of note at skill positions, save for Mark Andrews. 

We have a newly formed brain trust. If they think they can obtain Jackson and still run a successful team, I'm going to believe that they can do it until proven otherwise.

Mind you, I don't believe that this marriage would ever come together, but poor-mouthing is becoming a thing of the past pertaining to winning championships. 

The Ravens could likely have avoided this if they had paid Jackson from the get-go. They waited and are now going to have to pay the price one way or another. That was NOT a smart move on their part.

On an off note, the relationship between the Ravens and Jackson may be a bigger part than this than anyone knows. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I remember some years back we were having a discussion that we needed to do whatever we could / trade whatever was necessary / pay whatever he asked to a certain quarterback from another team.

He was sold as a dynamic athlete who was worth the injury risk, guaranteed us a Super Bowl and any perceived weaknesses in his passing game were the fault of pretty much any and everybody else but him.

In the end, Michael Vick never took us (or anybody else) to the Super Bowl, but he won a lot of awards and had some really cool highlights 😕

And Vick's career passer rating was 80.4 while Jackson's is 96.7 (since you're the one alluding to the comparison). 

• Flames 1