• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting twist regarding Lamar Jackson...

Proudiddy

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, this is accurate.  The first reference I came across only mentioned the guaranteed portion of 133 million.  250 million seems more than generous IMHO.

I can't even fathom turning down that amount of money. I could travel the world the rest of my life, my kids and grandkids would have enough to be taken care of, and I could still do a hell of a lot of good with the rest. 

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I can't even fathom turning down that amount of money. I could travel the world the rest of my life, my kids and grandkids would have enough to be taken care of, and I could still do a hell of a lot of good with the rest. 

If some of the speculation is true, he’s turning down 133, not 250, because he knows he won’t stay healthy enough to collect the full value. It’s actually smart of him, even if he takes a lower total value deal elsewhere, if he can get most or all of it guaranteed that’s more money he actually gets. I bet he’d sign today for 200 fully guaranteed even though that’s less than Watson. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

except this team's coaching staff is being built to groom a rookie QB.

I mean that's great and I would be ecstatic with a rookie too. But a rookie is likely going to cost us about as much draft capital and is an unknown whereas lamar is a 26 yr old former MVP

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

I mean that's great and I would be ecstatic with a rookie too. But a rookie is likely going to cost us about as much draft capital and is an unknown whereas lamar is a 26 yr old former MVP

I been saying this as well.

People seem to think we can get these franchise QB's without trading anything of value. It's going to probably cost just the same or possibly more to get that #1 pick. If we trading the farm I rather it be for a sure franchise QB.

Lamar would be the best QB in the NFC wherever he lands that team will be a threat.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Varking said:

I mostly agree. But a rookie QB flop sets us back just a season or 2. It’s picks and not much money. Lamar is going to cost picks plus guaranteed money. If he flops or stays injured he sets us back years.

And I do believe Stroud will be a franchise guy. 

There is zero possibility that Lamar flops. Come on, man. You can't credibly compare a former MVP who really hasn't even hit his prime with a college prospect that could very well flop.

As for injury, that's always a concern, but he really hasn't had anything too major. 

Stroud looks like starter material, but people are weighting the UGA game way too much IMO. I'll take a wait-and-see approach, and trust that our guys know how to evaluate.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

There is zero possibility that Lamar flops. Come on, man. You can't credibly compare a former MVP who really hasn't even hit his prime with a college prospect that could very well flop.

As for injury, that's always a concern, but he really hasn't had anything too major. 

Stroud looks like starter material, but people are weighting the UGA game way too much IMO. I'll take a wait-and-see approach, and trust that our guys know how to evaluate.

Let the haters hate.

The only thing in question with Lamar is his health. Dude is a MVP candidate every year. Nothing else you can really debate about him being a franchise QB.

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Let the haters hate.

The only thing in question with Lamar is his health. Dude is a MVP candidate every year. Nothing else you can really debate about him being a franchise QB.

Some people just don't want him no matter the price. They may as well fess up to it. The things they say about him and the players that they compare him to are a dead giveaway. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Some people just don't want him no matter the price. They may as well fess up to it. The things they say about him and the players that they compare him to are a dead giveaway. 

Some poster was legit trying to debate Lamar vs Carr.

That's when I knew some people just don't want him.lol

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I was on the Stroud bandwagon before anyone here. Well before the UGA game. I don’t just stat watch. 

To be clear, I’d love Lamar. There’s just a limit to how much cost I’m comfortable with giving up. We still need a TE, still need a second WR, still have holes in our dline, etc. if you get Lamar you have to pay him and the only way you get him is to give up a ton of picks. 

I’ll back whatever the team does and hope for the best. I just think drafting a starting QB is easier to recover from if it goes sideways. 25 million vs 250 million for one player eats up the roster money quite a bit. If it were just money or just picks I’d do it in a heartbeat. When you have to give up tons of draft capital and tons of money it’s a harder pull to swallow. Lamar is a hell of a player. 

6 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

NFL is a dangerous sport. He's right to break the bank. 

What good is all that money if you can't enjoy it 20 years from now because of CTE?

I will never be against players breaking the bank. This sport is just too violent. Make the most money while you can.

14 minutes ago, Varking said:

If it were just money or just picks I’d do it in a heartbeat. When you have to give up tons of draft capital and tons of money it’s a harder pull to swallow. Lamar is a hell of a player. 

My man you're not paying him your money.

QB's are going to get paid this is just how it works. You think Burrow/Allen taking paycuts?

This sport is violent these players deserve to make the most money they can. There is no guarantee they will have a long life after football. Get your money players!