• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB options sorted in preference tiers

JawnyBlaze

A slightly different way to look at it, here are my tiers for options. If you have different options to include, throw them in. I’m not including specific caveats for “if we can do it for this amount then this tier, if that amount then that tier”, just slotting then based on what the expected cost would be. 

#1 choice 

- Trade up for Stroud (roughly three 1sts and change probably)

I’d be really happy

- Trade up for Young (slightly less than for Stroud, maybe two 1sts and small change)

- Trade back 9 a few spots, 12-15 range and take Richardson or Levis and sign Derek Carr to be the starter for a couple years

I’d be ok with it

- Sign Derek Carr with the plan to make him the permanent starter and either take Q. Johnston at 9 or trade back into the late teens and take the Notre Dame TE. I’m more ok with Carr as the long term option than Fields or Jackson for example primarily because of the cost.  Would cost us no draft picks and we could continue to build the team around him, plus it’s not like he’s old and he is a good QB unlike the other retreads we’ve attempted.

- Stay at 9 and take Levis or Richardson, throw them into the fire. We’re pretty good at OL and weapons, it wouldn’t be a David Carr situation.  Spend our 2nds on a TE and maybe a third WR to make it an even easier transition. 

I wouldn’t like it, but I’ll wait and see

- Trade #9 for Fields. Ugh, too much for a guy that isn’t a very good passer but he’s so young and our staff is so good maybe they can fix him.  He is a dynamic player and hasn’t gotten a fair shake so far.  Also wouldn’t take away from future draft picks so we could continue to build around him and he’s still on a rookie contract so if he just doesn’t work out then in two years we can take another swing at QB. 

I’d hate it

- Trade for Jackson. Would take two+ 1sts AND a huge contract, so too expensive and handcuffs the future of the team. Probably injury prone, so all those picks and cap space could very likely ended up totally wasted on a guy sitting on the trainers table rather than playing.  Yea he’s a former MVP, but he’s still just a good passer not a great one. 

• Pie 4

My order of Preference would be

The Only Option in My Mind
Find a way to get the staffs preferred Rookie QB. If they need to get to 1 to get who they want do it (Would personally hope that would be Stroud but thats up to Reich and crew), if they think they can get him at 9 thats fine as well.

Break in Case of Emergency (Aka we cant get someone we like in the Draft)
Just sign Darnold (or whatever veteran will take it) to a one year or cheap multi year deal and try and trade down and pick up as many picks next year as possible so we can be prepared to do it all again next year looking for a QB. (Not desired but at least we wont get stuck with a long term failure)

Tepper and Reich should be committed
Signing any Vet QB to a long term deal as our QB of the future would have me questioning this Staff, Front Office, and Ownership group pretty heavily. They all have failed multi years in a row trying to do this exact thing and tying up future cap space and committing ourselves to QB Purgatory would take all the wind out of my sails.

I'm pretty confident we are going to be getting a QB we are going to build around this year though so I'm assuming its option 1 or 3 here.

Edited by stan786
  • Pie 1

I seriously think this team and coaching staff is geared up to take a guy like Richardson. Most of his issues are coachable, and other than his last name, I don't see why Tepper wouldn't like him. 

https://theathletic.com/4205676/2023/02/16/nfl-draft-2023-anthony-richardson-film/

This article from the athletic really helped sell me on Richardson, and with our staff, from Reich to Caldwell to going up against defenses made by Evero and Capers, Richardson is our guy @ nine. Watch it happen, and if it does, we'll be set up to be perennial contenders in the NFC for a looooooong time. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Levis isn’t going to be available past theTexans. They are infatuated with him apparently. 

not sure if the “they” includes Demeco or not. 

Info 'leaked' out this early is likely misinformation.  They are taking a QB, but I bet we will see multiple reports/leaks contradicting one another as time goes on.  Levis seems like a Jim Irsay guy. This may be bait to get the Colts to bite and trade up a couple spots with the Texans and Houston still gets the QB they really want at #4.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 2

Alternative scenarios imo are trading back and taking a flier on Hooker or McKee while still signing Carr or a solid FA. Trading up for Stroud is my best case scenario i just hope it only costs this years 1st a future 1st and a few 2-3s. If a third 1st is required then whoever they trade with for that guy better be more than worth it to them or we will be stuck having to work the fug out of the cap for a few years. 

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Info 'leaked' out this early is likely misinformation.  They are taking a QB, but I bet we will see multiple reports/leaks contradicting one another as time goes on.  Levis seems like a Jim Irsay guy. This may be bait to get the Colts to bite and trade up a couple spots with the Texans and Houston still gets the QB they really want at #4.

Jim Irsay flat out said he was a Bryce fan. So if Irsay is a Bryce fan, he HAS to trade up. You could call that a lying leak, but why not lie about a player that would potentially be available at your pick? The whole point is to make your pick more valuable in trade chats.

Texans want a QB that they can put out there week 1, and out of the 3 QBs Levis is the most capable. He has played in two different pro systems and has shown he is a quick learner. He has the best tangibles of all of the QBs in the draft and Texans feel comfortable with Levis.

I’m paraphrasing what was said in the podcast I was listening to above.. but they were claiming this was the mindset of the FO according to their sources.

Edited by TheCasillas

The more I look at scenarios with the Texans & Colts, the more I just want to leapfrog them and pick who's #1 on our board. 

I'd be more surprised than anything if the Bears stay put, buuuut if their trade partner isn't us, we're getting who's remaining of the top-3 (if we're lucky).  Barring a bonkers trade with us or Vegas, I see that being a 1-2 swap or Indy jumping HOU to #1.   

This is my wishful thinking scenario for the draft that (a) seems somewhat plausible (Bears don't trade down too far/still get top DL), we don't give up a crazy haul:

1-Indy (from CHI): Bryce Young QB
2-HOU: Will Levis QB
3-AZ: Will Anderson ED
4-CHI (from Indy): Jalen Carter DT
5-CAR (from SEA): CJ Stroud

• Pie 6

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Jim Irsay flat out said he was a Bryce fan. So if Irsay is a Bryce fan, he HAS to trade up. You could call that a lying leak, but why not lie about a player that would potentially be available at your pick? The whole point is to make your pick more valuable in trade chats.

Texans want a QB that they can put out there week 1, and out of the 3 QBs Levis is the most capable. He has played in two different pro systems and has shown he is a quick learner. He has the best tangibles of all of the QBs in the draft and Texans feel comfortable with Levis.

I’m paraphrasing what was said in the podcast I was listening to above.. but they were claiming this was the mindset of the FO according to their sources.

That would be my dream scenario. Colts trade up to 1 and draft Young, Texans take Levis, and we can trade up to 3 and get Stroud for much less than jumping up to 1.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Texans want a QB that they can put out there week 1, and if the 3 QBs Levis is the most capable. He has played in two different pro systems and has shown he is a quick learner. He has the best tangibles of all of the QBs in the draft and Texans feel comfortable with Levis.

Who knows with Irsay? I'm just saying, Peyton, Luck--took a shot at Carson Wetnz.  Dude likes tall pocket passers.  Maybe he's evolving with the League, but it would shock me if Young is truly his QB1 this draft.

Hate it. Build up the Oline and Defensive line with the 4 pics we have in the first 3 rounds. I know San Fran 2rd, 3rd and 4th will be like a top 3rd and 4th and 5th round picks but that is 7 picks with the top pick in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds we can have. We can get some fine players to build depth on the team that we need. Remember we invested a 3rd round pick in Corral last year. No reason to trade up. Give Sam a 2 year deal with the 1st year money guaranteed and look to next year QB for our franchise pick.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 3

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Who knows with Irsay? I'm just saying, Peyton, Luck--took a shot at Carson Wetnz.  Dude likes tall pocket passers.  Maybe he's evolving with the League, but it would shock me if Young is truly his QB1 this draft.

If you watch that video from Pat, there was nothing tactical about Irsay…. It was a foot in mouth situation for sure.