• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF - What would it take for Panthers to trade up for #1 pick

TheSpecialJuan

19 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Ok, let's just re-sign Sam Darnold and call it a day.

Yes. Sign me up for resigning Darnold, and developing a 1st/2nd round QB and Corral, while also adding 1st and 2nd round talent  for the next 3 years to our roster. 

I get wanting a QB, but is it unreasonable for some of us to prefer the above situation to gambling all that on 1 player?

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

Okay, let's say they pull the trigger, dump all the draft picks on the Bears and find out that the QB they chose isn't any good? Does that mean they are hamstrung for years to come?

Not necessarily. The Panthers have been in cap hell for so long we don't know what it's like to have options. Even if they bust the pick this year, they are going to have a pretty good amount of cap room available in the next couple of years. 

It's not the end of the world if they muff the pick. Wouldn't feel good, but so be it.

People are too scared of failure to succeed sometimes. At least with a rookie QB you'd have a pretty easy to digest contract for four years and it would unlock the ability to make moves in free agency and extensions to help the team while you prove it out.

• Pie 4

Way too high of a price when this year's class is thin and underwhelming. And honestly, I can easily see the price being even higher still for us. Namely, the Bears not wanting to drop down so far, plus our future 1sts not being as valuable given how putrid our division was this year and our staff - on paper- being more competent. Risk of our picks being in the 20s for them is much higher.

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Seriously, some of you think there's a real chance that these guys wiff?

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Bounce

I say this partially in jest, but I'm still waiting for that first, highly-touted Ohio State franchise QB to emerge. Ain't happened yet.

We look at players as simply plug-n-play. Fantasy fodder. There's a lot going on for a guy in his early 20's being hit with life-changing money, status and options. Not all of them are ready to make the best decisions. 

3 minutes ago, stan786 said:

People are too scared of failure to succeed sometimes. At least with a rookie QB you'd have a pretty easy to digest contract for four years and it would unlock the ability to make moves in free agency and extensions to help the team while you prove it out.

You can draft a QB without giving most of the premium picks of his rookie contract away while doing so. 

There are more options than “risk it for the biscuit” and “hide in your house” fear. 

Like mountain climbing is dangerous. You can free climb that mountain (trade up to 1). You can also take action to minimize risk with safety equipment.

Free climbing is great for those who don’t slip. 

• Pie 1

Gotta be honest if we willing to trade that much for the #1 pick maybe we should pursue Lamar Jackson who we know for sure is a franchise QB.

I love Stroud as much as anybody but there is still a chance he might not live up to the hype. Not saying I wouldn't go all in, but I would check with Lamar before making this kind of deal.

We are at worst the 2nd best team in the NFC the moment we trade for Lamar.

24 minutes ago, rayzor said:

If Reich, Caldwell, and McCown sign off on the guy (whoever it is) and all think that he's the one to build the team around and say "whatever it takes, get him"....then we get him.

I'm sorry, but I'm trusting this brain trust/staff completely over any of the clowns in here.

Whatever call this staff makes on a QB is going to be the right one.

That I can agree with.

I really don't expect them to be willing to give up that much for anyone in this draft, but we'll see.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, rayzor said:

If Reich, Caldwell, and McCown sign off on the guy (whoever it is) and all think that he's the one to build the team around and say "whatever it takes, get him"....then we get him.

I'm sorry, but I'm trusting this brain trust/staff completely over any of the clowns in here.

Whatever call this staff makes on a QB is going to be the right one.

Yeah I'm quoting myself, but in addition to all this there is the George Li element.

Consider what Li did in quizzing HC candidates, throwing situations up in tape and seeing what each QB prospect saw and thinks with everyone watching. 

I mean every QB prospect, whether FA, trade, or draft pick will be heavily scrutinized by a group of QB experts and analysts the likes of which few teams have ever seen, and your acting like we have hurney and Rhule making the pick?

Have some faith in this staff. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

That I can agree with.

I really don't expect them to be willing to give up that much for anyone in this draft, but we'll see.

They might not, but if anyone in Panthers history deserves the benefit of the doubt it's these guys. Whatever call they make is going to be the right one. Incredibly thin chance that they aren't successful in making the decision.