• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

On 3/1/2023 at 12:45 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Now this...

It's possible Kleiman has heard something more from David Newton, but if all he's doing is citing Newton's recent tweet that mentioned "preliminary discussions" with Darnold's people, I think he's overstating it a little bit.

LOL.    

On 3/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Tepper didn't devote a small fortune to hiring this all-star coaching staff only to watch Sam Darnold become Panthers Plan A.

no.   He hired this all-star coaching staff to make the best FOOTBALL DECISIONS.

If they feel that Sam is the best football decision, he really can't b*tch about it as this is the job he hired them to do and poured his money into.

Edited by glenwo2

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Josh McCown may be in Frank's ear, folks.....

18 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

If the Panthers re-sign Darnold, the Huddle will have a collective aneurysm.

ED0CFA5B-1B93-4131-A6F4-EB5641B2099C.jpeg

I want this to happen if only to see the meltdown here.

Watching the world burn is so. much. FUN.   😈

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

no.   He hired this all-star coaching staff to make the best FOOTBALL DECISIONS.

If they feel that Sam is the best football decision, he really can't b*tch about it as this is the job he hired them to do and poured his money into.

Haha, if Darnold is designated the Panthers starting QB this season, something has gone terribly wrong.

As a backup?

Yeah, I could see our coaching staff trying to help Sam improve his abilities while holding a clipboard during the games on Sunday. 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Haha, if Darnold is designated the Panthers starting QB this season, something has gone terribly wrong.

As a backup?

Yeah, I could see our coaching staff trying to help Sam improve his abilities while holding a clipboard during the games on Sunday. 

yeah...that's what I actually meant.  lol

But seriously, IF (big IF) they sign him to be a backup or Bridge, he will get every opportunity to start because we would not have a ready-to-go QB unless we want to do to our drafted rookie QB what the Jets did to Sam as a rookie and that is toss him to the wolves.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2

27 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

David Tepper is still here.  Fitterer is still here.  Front office is largely still intact.   One that has repeatedly done very stupid things.  Are they all suddenly cured simply because they hired a new HC? Going out and throwing cash at a bunch of the best names available for your coaching staff....doesn't mean everyone in Charlotte is cured from doing dumb things. 

I mean, this is basically the same repeated narrative that always gets applied for every coach and new era.   Including the really bad ones.   

NFL folks do dumb stuff.  We have seen that repeatedly here and all over the league.   This whole don't dare question a profession that constantly employees people from top to bottom that does dumb stuff is old. 

I'll judge the new era based on what they do at QB.   Until then, jury remains out. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

yeah...that's what I actually meant.  lol

But seriously, IF (big IF) they sign him to be a backup or Bridge, he will get every opportunity to start because we would not have a ready-to-go QB unless we want to do to our drafted rookie QB what the Jets did to Sam as a rookie and that is toss him to the wolves.

Physically Sam appears to be everything a team could want in a starting QB.

Mentally he seems a tick too slow and easy to rattle.

I'm not sure Sam's issues can be overcome with better coaching, but if they can, this staff probably has as good a chance as any.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, travisura said:

I commented on a post where the OP compared Darnold to Jared Goff, and directly implied that he'd be good enough to lead a turn around, and potentially even a super bowl. This is not a monster of my own creation.

I guess this far in I didn’t realize you were talking to OP. That’s my bad. 

I still think that Darnold being “the guy” is a very rare opinion though lol. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I guess this far in I didn’t realize you were talking to OP. That’s my bad. 

I still think that Darnold being “the guy” is a very rare opinion though lol. 

Well, it was to OP as well as all the other folks in here who are adamant he's a good QB that just hasn't had the right circumstances. 

It probably is just a vocal few who believe he should be starting. But I don't even think he's adequate to be a bridge vet. But I suppose reasonable people can disagree on that point.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Taysom Hill and Blaine Gabbert had the best QB ratings in the NFL last year   

you generally won't find them or Sam Darnold listed and tracked on most sites because he and they didn't play enough.  And when you barely play, the results get skewed significantly vs the field.   So they exclude them from even showing because of that. 

You don't ignore it.  You also can't take a number like that a face value.  

This makes zero sense lol.  The QB rating is a composite score that is simply calculated from all of the individual conventional QB metrics: passing yards, attempts, completions, TDs, INTs.  If your argument is that Darnold didn't play enough to consider his QB rating, then can you explain why his completion percentage is fair game?  How does his lack of playing time skew one and not the other, when one is calculated from the other?

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

This makes zero sense lol.  The QB rating is a composite score that is simply calculated from all of the individual conventional QB metrics: passing yards, attempts, completions, TDs, INTs.  If your argument is that Darnold didn't play enough to consider his QB rating, then can you explain why his completion percentage is fair game?  How does his lack of playing time skew one and not the other, when one is calculated from the other?

CRA seems to have an "answer" to everything doesn't he?

He'd make a great Politician....or Used Car Salesman. 

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

QB rating is repetition dependent to compare to the distribution of historical QB performances/limits.

Completion percentage is a measure of decision making. Who did you trust as a receiver? Did you go through your progressions? Did you choose to place the ball away from dangerous defenders and challenge the weaker defenders directly with one on one matchups. You know within 5 to 10 throws if the QB is making good decisions.

I scale a QBs decision making as a passer:  below 50% - poor; 50 to 60% - average; 60 to 65% - good; 65 to 70% - excellent; 70% or greater- elite. As a measure for overall passer rating, I will only include games that a QB has achieved at least 35 pass attempts. My minimum of 35 attempts in game is based on play balance for the greatest probability of a win. I also expect a QB to produce GWD and winning with pass attempts exceeding 40 is a strong indicator of a championship QB. Ex. Tom Brady has the most GWD and 76% of those GWD are 35 or more passes; 55% are 40 or more passes (and good to elite level decision making is indicated by the comp% in these GWDs).

Darnold is 4-15 in these games with ratings in the 30s/40s and comp% below 50%.  2 of his 5 GWD fall in these wins. None of his wins were greater than 25 pass attempts in 2022. His 1 GWD had 15 pass attempts with a comp% of 33%.