• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I have a feeling...

Proudiddy

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would be absolutely shocked if we both traded up to draft a QB AND signed Derek Carr. I definitely think those two scenarios are either or.

I would tend to agree, but I actually got a real "all in" vibe from both Reich and Fitt.  And Fitt sounds like if the interviews and such line up with what they expect, we are selling out for our guy.  I think the trade comes into play if that guy is Stroud or Young, particularly.  If it's AR, we likely won't see any movement until draft day if we need to move up.

But Reich really just sounds like he REALLY likes Carr, and I'd imagine it would be hard not to.  And to me, both Reich and Fitt sound like they want to get their young guy this year no matter what else happens, but that they also want to cover all of their bases.  I also think the idea of having successors in place, just like they did on the staff, factors into the plan.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

If we sign Carr I hope we dont take a QB atleast until the 3rd. I hope if they sign him that means they think he can be good enough with this staff to make a Playoff run behind this Defense and O-line if we can add a weapon or two.

If we sign Carr any QB we take will just be for a backup roll. No QB we draft will probably ever start for us. Maybe Hooker, but I have my doubts that he can be a good NFL QB, also his age is a problem imo.

And then completelt negating the purpose of this thread, I also could see a scenario where if they like Hooker enough, they could sign Carr and take Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd.

My hope is AR or Stroud, although I like Hooker a lot.

You know what?  That feeling I had is legit just excitement for the first time in a long time lol

Sorry, can't contain it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I’m of a similar mind but if Carr is signed here, i think, he will be gambling on himself, take a 1 or 2 year deal with the second being voidable, take a moderate salary and go try to prove he’s a QB1.

We still draft a QB in the 1st and early.  We provide an interesting opportunity for Carr to hush a lot of critics.  We groom our future QB1 and send Carr on his way.

Its not the most plausible scenario but it’s not the most improbable either.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Was really surprised how ineffective the Raiders offense was last year with all the weapons they had they should of at least made the Wild Card. Is that a symptom of Carr regression or McDaniels being a terrible HC? Both? Either/or?

Oh for sure McDaniels is a well known abysmal head coach. But Carr has troubling tendencies that have translated through what about 5 head coaches? By that I mean his glaring penchant for turning the ball over. 179 combined interceptions and fumbles since 2014 in 142 games. That's a high number. I think we could compete with him but those turnovers aren't going anywhere. At soon to be 33 that's who he is now he isn’t just going to suddenly change. The question is can this staff minimize those turnovers and maximize his effectiveness. Maybe. But it's not a risk worth taking for 35 million a year IMO.

Just now, frankw said:

Oh for sure McDaniels is a well known abysmal head coach. But Carr has troubling tendencies that have translated through what about 5 head coaches? By that I mean his glaring penchant for turning the ball over. 179 combined interceptions and fumbles since 2014 in 142 games. That's a high number. I think we could compete with him but those turnovers aren't going anywhere. At soon to be 33 that's who he is now he isn’t just going to suddenly change. The question is can this staff minimize those turnovers and maximize his effectiveness. Maybe. But it's not a risk worth taking for 35 million a year IMO.

Preaching to the Choir, man. I know all too well Carr's problems. If we sign him I don't expect a Super Bowl. Just, maybe, consistent playoff appearances. That is fine with some people, but for me my hopes are a bit grander.

• Beer 1

Two people I don’t want to wake up to being in a Panthers uniform 

1. David Carr an average qb who will take a lot of money from the salary cap and never delivery to that salary 

2. Will Levi’s   Blaine Gabbert’s long lost brother from another Mother. Dude is weird as hell. Saw a couple of his TikTok videos on NFL network this morning. Anybody who puts Mayo in their coffee and eats bananas skin and all, no matter the condition on top of it, nope. Hard pass. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would be absolutely shocked if we both traded up to draft a QB AND signed Derek Carr. I definitely think those two scenarios are either or.

I'm starting to think that they might both be possibilities just based on how serious this team is about fixing the offense, especially QB. 

They have overloaded on staff, i think, and they might take the same mindset with QB.

I would say at this point and from what we've seen, be ready for some extreme work be done to get QB right not just for the immediate but the long haul.

One thing that also sticks in my mind is something that Fitt said about being a top 10 pick...i think they are acting like they won't be in this position again, so they want to get everything they can out of it. the era of losing is over. If they can get the short term and long term answers to QB addressed in one offseason, i expect they will.

i feel like they are going to attack this long term problem from a couple different angles with the hope of doing what they've done with staff building, bring in a wealth of experience and knowledge to team up with someone who is young, but has a bright future ahead of them.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm starting to think that they might both be possibilities just based on how serious this team is about fixing the offense, especially QB. 

They have overloaded on staff, i think, and they might take the same mindset with QB.

I would say at this point and from what we've seen, be ready for some extreme work be done to get QB right not just for the immediate but the long haul.

One thing that also sticks in my mind is something that Fitt said about being a top 10 pick...i think they are acting like they won't be in this position again, so they want to get everything they can out of it. the era of losing is over. If they can get the short term and long term answers to QB addressed in one offseason, i expect they will.

i feel like they are going to attack this long term problem from a couple different angles with the hope of doing what they've done with staff building, bring in a wealth of experience and knowledge to team up with someone who is young, but has a bright future ahead of them.

This^^^^. I get the impression not many are listening to what Fitterer and Frank are saying.  Fitterer was clear how they view the position and what they want to do going forward.  

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I would tend to agree, but I actually got a real "all in" vibe from both Reich and Fitt.  And Fitt sounds like if the interviews and such line up with what they expect, we are selling out for our guy.  I think the trade comes into play if that guy is Stroud or Young, particularly.  If it's AR, we likely won't see any movement until draft day if we need to move up.

But Reich really just sounds like he REALLY likes Carr, and I'd imagine it would be hard not to.  And to me, both Reich and Fitt sound like they want to get their young guy this year no matter what else happens, but that they also want to cover all of their bases.  I also think the idea of having successors in place, just like they did on the staff, factors into the plan.

there's a lot ways that Carr fits what Reich is building here. If there's one thing that we've seen, if Reich likes someone and they fit what he's trying to do, he's got the green light to get him. 

i really don't think that Tepper or anyone in the FO is going to be upset if we overcompensate in our efforts to get QB figured out. 

• Beer 1

I think we only trade up pre draft if we are getting the #1 pick.

If we get to the draft without trading to #1, then expect a trade to happen for either picks 3 or 5.

If we end up signing Carr, scenario 1 doesn't happen. Scenario 2 might happen, and the 3rd scenario is we stay put at 9. 

• Beer 1