• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Matt Miller.. Panthers all in on Richardson?

micnificent28

Richardson was kinda put on the spot when asked if he's a better thrower than Cam. Rick Spielman may have been blowing smoke, but he agreed with AR. Of course the stats tell a different story, which Anthony Rizzuti pointed out in his latest article.

"Newton—in his Heisman Trophy-winning, national championship-capturing campaign of 2010—completed 66.1 percent of his passes for 2,854 yards, 30 touchdowns, seven interceptions, 10.2 yards per attempt and 11.2 air yards per attempt. Richardson, this past season, connected on 53.8 percent of his throws for 2,549 yards, 17 touchdowns, nine interceptions, 7.8 yards per attempt and 7.6 air yards per attempt" 

8https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/04/2023-nfl-draft-panthers-anthony-richardson-thrower-cam-newton/

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Our staff has plenty to do with the development of a QB. Sure it certainly involves AR taking the next steps and putting in his time to get better, but if you think a staff isn’t at least partially responsible for the development of a young QB we are just too far apart on this topic.
Building the right roster/system around a QB like AR is going to be very important. Look what the Eagles staff did with Hurts when they matched their roster/play calling to his strengths. Look how Daboll helped Allen develop in Buffalo. It’s no coincidence that Daniel Jones immediately looked better the one year Daboll was there. It’s also no coincidence that Wentz got much worse when Reich left the Eagles. Even Alex Smith suddenly looks solid when he goes to play for Andy Reid. Geno Smith looked his best his one year under Carroll…

Comparing AR to Stroud with the supporting cast around each QB seems kind of pointless. Put AR on OSU and Stroud on Florida and that tape looks a lot different. I do agree that Stroud is the much more polished passer and I prefer Stroud over AR, but AR’s ceiling definitely passes Stroud. 

I can't say with surety that AR's ceiling is higher than Stroud's. I mean, I could say it if I believed all the media hype, but I just don't believe the hype. 

Stroud may need to answer the question at the pro level about his mobility (which he says he will), but I believe that AR is definitely going to have to answer the question about his pocket presence and throwing ability. 

I mean, if we pick him at 9 and he busts, I won't like it, and I don't think that Tepper will either. But, if we actually use a bunch of resources to trade up and get him and he busts, I think Tepper will be seething inside, and so will I. I don't believe in spending big on boom-or-bust talent. You wait until the value is there, then you make a move if you want them. So, yeah, I care. There are opportunity costs associated with these players.

• Pie 3

Doesn't make sense to get him unless you're taking a flyer in a later round. You shouldn't be gambling with a top 10 pick. Trading up for him would be even worse if he busts. 

This is basically akin to being single and miserable for 5 years and falling for the first girl that gives you any sort of attention while ignoring all her red flags bc you're that desperate for a relationship. This whole situation reeks of desperation to me.

Recent history with Zach Wilson, Trey Lance are pointing to this being a bad gamble. And they were much better players in college 

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, if we pick him at 9 and he busts, I won't like it, and I don't think that Tepper will either. But, if we actually use a bunch of resources to trade up and get him and he busts, I think Tepper will be seething inside, and so will I. I don't believe in spending big on boom-or-bust talent. You wait until the value is there, then you make a move if you want them. So, yeah, I care. There are opportunity costs associated with these players.

At some point you have to step up to the plate and take a big swing. I believe in taking the best talent available if you think you can develop that talent.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Doesn't make sense to get him unless you're taking a flyer in a later round. You shouldn't be gambling with a top 10 pick

A later round? LOL!

All of these picks are gambles. The notion of a can't miss pick is a pure fantasy. There are busts and steals in every NFL draft and there always will be. Guys who are thought of very highly leading up to the draft will end up never signing a second NFL contract and some afterthoughts will end up having long successful careers. 

• Pie 2

48 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I really don't understand what you're saying. What does our staff have to do with AR's hype? They're not miracle workers, they are coaches. Whether Richardson improves would mostly be on him, and he has a very long way to go by all accounts. He's far from Willis raw though. He has to commit to developing his pocket presence, and basically learn the complexity and nuances of the position. His tape is all over the place.

He certainly didn't look anywhere close to Stroud vs UGA.

I'm not trying to talk bad about the kid, but he needs a lot of work, and people need to be realistic.

Stroud didn’t look like “Stroud vs Georgia” for most of his career either.  Was that a bit of an anomaly or a glimpse of what you can expect in the future? 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A later round? LOL!

All of these picks are gambles. The notion of a can't miss pick is a pure fantasy. There are busts and steals in every NFL draft and there always will be. Guys who are thought of very highly leading up to the draft will end up never signing a second NFL contract and some afterthoughts will end up having long successful careers. 

I don't like all the picks argument.  Your top 10 overall pick is worth a lot more than the vast majority of the other ones.

All I'm trying to say is it feels weird going out of your way to get a guy that wasn't consistently good in college and had limited playing time. It's a expensive risk especially if you're trading up for him which I think they'd have to do if he does well with combine and pro day stuff. We're at pick NiNE and too many other teams want qbs. 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

His ceiling is definitely higher than Stroud's. But his floor is a lot lower too.

I watched an interview he had with Steve Marucci on nfl network that impressed me a lot. It was a coaches session kind of thing where he throws a complicated play at him he draws up on a white board.  It's a complicated old west coast play SF used that he goes over rather quickly and then erases it. 

He then sits down and changes the conversation for a while and stops to ask him to go to the board and draw up the play he went over with him a few minutes ago. Richardson gets up, starts drawing it up perfectly and describes the reads and the progressions exactly the way Mooch explained it to him in like 10 seconds. He nails it. I was very impressed. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I don't like all the picks argument.  Your top 10 overall pick is worth a lot more than the vast majority of the other ones.

All I'm trying to say is it feels weird going out of your way to get a guy that wasn't consistently good in college and had limited playing time. It's a expensive risk especially if you're trading up for him which I think they'd have to do if he does well with combine and pro day stuff. We're at pick NiNE and too many other teams want qbs. 

You're not drafting a player based on what he did in college. You're drafting him based on what you think you can develop him into in the NFL. Josh Allen threw for 1800 yards at a 56% clip in his final college season. The Bills certainly don't regret that risk even though I thought they were probably fuging up hugely at the time.