• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers to aggressive pursue trade up to get a QB

TheSpecialJuan

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

In no world is this draft "no different than the Burrow, Mahomes, or Allen drafts"

Young isn't even on my draft board, his size alone is just something I'm not touching in this day and age of the NFL, let alone mortgaging the future to trade up and get him.

Levis and Richardson both have serious production issues, to the point where neither have the tape to be worth top picks, they're just both guys with good traits that coaches think they can fix their issues with.

Stroud might be the closest thing to a guy with minimal concerns, but that's it, and I don't think he's good enough to move up to #1 to get him when that cost would likely be the 9th pick, 2 future firsts, and both our 2nd's this year at a minimum.

Plus, the argument of "if you believe in this staff, we won't be in position to draft a QB next year" is just asinine.  The Chiefs had the 27th pick in the draft when they went and got Mahomes, and we're not going to be THAT good this year either.  Even if we end up with say the 15th or so pick next year, which seems reasonable, you package that up with multiple future firsts and then multiple other early-mid round picks, you can move up as far as needed to get a QB.

I know everyone is sick of trying to find a QB through other means than a high draft pick, but trading for the wrong one sets your franchise WAY further back than waiting an extra year to trade up for the QB.  We need to have a roster fully put together and ready to compete for SB's before drafting the QB we hope to take us there, that's just how it works with rookie QB contracts these days.

We're close, but not there yet, one more year of filling the holes in our roster can get us there, then bet the future next year on trading up for our guy.

Again your opinion which is okay..

But it doesn’t live in reality..

1. Just because Young isn’t on your draft board.. Doesn’t mean he isn’t number 1 on actually teams draft boards.. In reality just to let you know.. Other then his size and weight.. Young based on every other metric ever used by scouts in NFL history.. Is more of a perfect prospect then Mahomes, Allen, Burrows and Jackson.. His QB intelligence, passing anticipation, quick decision making and play making accument is on the same level as Andrew Luck.. Asked any scout you might know..

2. “This draft is no way in the world comparable to Mahomes, Allen and Burrows”

Reality Check

Burrows as a prospect was seen similar to Zach Wilson = 1 year wonders and honestly Wilson was seen with more physical talent and potential.. Burrows was a transfer who couldn’t beat out Haskins or Fields who had 1 incredible season in the Sec with the best set of weapons in college history..

Mahomes physically talent wasn’t as clear at Texas Tech and he didn’t have great college production.. He wasn’t graded higher coming out near Young or Stroud who both have better college tape and better college production..

And Allen was seen as similar to Levi’s is now both had horrible final college seasons both have accuracy and bad college decision making tape but both have crazy physical talent that makes scouts and coaches drool for potential.. Allen success alone will get Levi’s drafted top 7 in this draft..

And With Jalen Hurt success since this is a copy cat league .. Richardson will be pushed higher then expected.. His potential alone will (which is now a big scouting thing) get him drafted higher then 9 now.. So the normal past ways of looking at prospects have change because the success of QB already in the league..

3. Final I don’t know how you think that Tepper buying this staff is in anyway a downgrade to the staff last year that went 7-10 after

firing a head coach and staff “during the season”

Trading the face of the franchise and another primary offense weapon..

Playing with 3 different QB,s 

Major injuries in the secondary…

How is better competent coaching a better plan for the organization a weaker division (no Brady) and weaker NFC.. Not a recipe for a better team??

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, Verge said:

Admittedly, I have not been posting here as much. Part of the reason was feedback I was getting, it takes a mental toll to come here and post info you get or opinions you land on and deal with all the blowback from people who could give a poo about you. 

Mainly though I have been working for USA Today full time and during draft season I am particularly busy because I built their entire scouting platform. I watch hours and hours of tapes on guys and type of reports on them and then condense it for public consumption. I also still have my child in the hospital so my time to do things online is limited. 

Best wishes from me 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Carr isn’t a dummy.. Other then playing in the AFC or the AFCE being a problem.. The Jets give him the best chance at success and situation best fits him now as a QB..

From the article...

I hear that … the Jets are willing to wait out Rodgers. Nobody really knows what Rodgers is thinking about his future even after he spoke about it on a podcast this week, his first public comments since going on a four-day darkness retreat. He didn’t sound like someone who planned to retire, pushing back on the idea that his skills are declining.

So the next question becomes: What team does he want to play for? The Raiders appear to have removed themselves from the running, while the Titans have said they plan to bring back Ryan Tannehill. It’s shaping up as Packers, Jets or bust for Rodgers, unless a mystery team plans to enter the fray.

Around the league, there is an expectation that if Rodgers doesn’t retire, he’ll likely return to the Packers — and that they’d welcome him back with open arms. But Rodgers hasn’t recently been communicating with Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst, so that’s mostly guesswork. The Jets hired one of Rodgers’ closest friends (Nathaniel Hackett) as offensive coordinator, but I’ve heard that hasn’t helped provide any insight on his decision yet.

Despite all of that, the Jets are willing to wait for Rodgers to make a decision because they believe the quarterback, even at 39, gives them the best chance to not only make the playoffs, but compete for the Super Bowl. Yes, it would cost a lot, both in terms of financial and trade compensation, but the Jets view getting a quarterback of Rodgers’ caliber as worth all of that — even if it also means adding the drama that follows him around.

I hear that … If Rodgers does wind up back in Green Bay, the Jets should be viewed as the favorite to land Carr. His meeting in New Jersey recently with Saleh and others went well and the Jets view Carr as a quarterback who can get them over the hump and contend in the AFC.

But that doesn’t mean it’s a perfect fit.

Carr must be able to handle the scrutiny and criticism that comes with being the Jets quarterback. An NFC scout also cited concerns about how Carr handles pass-rushing pressure in games, noting that he started to become contact-averse after he suffered a fibula fracture at the end of the 2016 season and as he struggled with a rib injury in 2022.

If the Jets do go full steam ahead in their pursuit of Carr — they haven’t offered him a contract yet — how much will it cost? The expectation is that his next contract could average in the $35 million to $40 million range, though the structure of the deal (in terms of guaranteed money and cap hits) is what really matters.

13 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Carr isn’t a dummy.. Other then playing in the AFC or the AFCE being a problem.. The Jets give him the best chance at success and situation best fits him now as a QB..

I would guess at 32 he's looking for the best guaranteed deal for his last big contract

4 hours ago, panfanman said:

Carr is in no way plan B.  He will either be the plan or not.  By the draft he will already have a home so there's no way to fall back to him.

Then why haven't teams offered him a deal yet?

He's waiting for teams to decide on their QB moving forward. If he was our plan A he would have a contract offer by now.

People need to chill and let our staff do its thing. If they think giving up three picks is worth it for one of these QBs, we have zero reason to doubt them at this point. All off season we’ve talked about the all star coaching staff we’ve assembled.  Let’s give them a chance to do something before doom and gloom kicks in. 

Not a single one of us won’t be excited if we trot a first round rookie out there to start the opening game. Would be beyond refreshing. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Then why haven't teams offered him a deal yet?

He's waiting for teams to decide on their QB moving forward. If he was our plan A he would have a contract offer by now.

How do you know he don’t and he’s negotiating back and forth?

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Most high round rookie QBs get 3 years if not more to prove themselves though right?  Unless they completely struggle like Zach Wilson who still might be playing into his third year unless they find someone else...

Opportunity costs.  It's a real thing.  Zach Wilson is one of many, many, many examples.  Yes, it takes about 3 years to find out if the QB is a bust or not, in the mean time we are given up 1st round talent that's not a QB with the trade collateral.  Franchise-type talent isn't only found in QBs and the type of talent we forfeit trading away with the next 3 years worth of first rounders.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Kleiman writes for BroBible. He's not a legit source but the people he quotes usually are. He got fooled by the phony rumor that we were calling about Aaron Rodgers though.

THe guy who talked about the Packers being disgusted with Rodgers is longtime beat writer Bob McGinn. He's as legit as they come.

Ah okay. I got my stories mixed up.