• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Poles trying to drive up the cost of the #1 pick

NAS

51 minutes ago, NAS said:

I think this happens if they sign Derek Carr or another vet QB and draft a 'prospect' at #9 like Anthony Richardson.  

Signing a vet regardless.  Not going to go into the season with two QBs with zero regular seasons starts.  The level of the vet depends on where the QB is drafted.  Top 3, a cheaper vet, #9 or later, an expensive vet.

3 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

I doubt they would do it for 3 first’s. 

I think 49ers set the price two years ago but theirs was a late first.  I think Panthers should stay put at two first, a second, and a third.

1 minute ago, weyco2000 said:

I doubt they would do it for 3 first’s. 

Hopefully, Tepper stays out of this, but I doubt it.  Maybe he learned his lesson form Rhule and lets the football people do their jobs he's paying them to do.  Obviously he's going to be in the loop, I mean influencing decisions.

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, bigdog_10_2002 said:

The panthers drafted Jason Peter, no pick due to the Gilbert trade in 99 (98), and Rashard Anderson in 2000 (basically forfeiting three consecutive years of first round picks).  They were in the superbowl in 2003.

Weird, I don't recall seeing either Dom Capers or George Seifert at the 2003 Super Bowl.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The thing about those generational prospects is there's no trading for them. The team that lands #1 takes the guy.

I believe an argument could be made, that if the Bears were smart, they'd draft a QB with this year's #1 pick.  

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I believe an argument could be made, that if the Bears were smart, they'd draft a QB with this year's #1 pick.  

If we're talking about risk, THAT would be the biggest risk a team could take in this draft. You have a young guy who has shown promise despite being surrounded by nothing. If you move him to take another QB you damn well better be right because if you draft a bust and Fields goes on to flourish elsewhere you're now officially the biggest jackass in sports.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we're talking about risk, THAT would be the biggest risk a team could take in this draft. You have a young guy who has shown promise despite being surrounded by nothing. If you move him to take another QB you damn well better be right because if you draft a bust and Fields goes on to flourish elsewhere you're now officially the biggest jackass in sports.

Or, Chicago trades Fields to a team in desperate need for a QB and utilizes this year's #1 to upgrade the position.  Ultimately, both teams involved (even Fields) could be better off for the trade.  Of course, most of these draft scenarios will never take place, much less, be sure bets.  If they were, we'd have little to converse about.

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Lol, and us being the furthest back of the QB needy teams to move up would have to give up a TON to go to #1, but I'm getting flack for suggesting we stay put at #9.

Some of you guys would give up your first born child to move to #1. 

Copied post: ("I rather trade up to #3 and keep that extra 1st round pick we would lose if we traded with the Bears. We are guaranteed at least one of the top 3 QB's. They all same to be on the same tier as talents. I want Stroud but I would be happy with AR or Bryce at #3 or vice versa")

4 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Copied post: ("I rather trade up to #3 and keep that extra 1st round pick we would lose if we traded with the Bears. We are guaranteed at least one of the top 3 QB's. They all same to be on the same tier as talents. I want Stroud but I would be happy with AR or Bryce at #3 or vice versa")

True, IF we do move up, #3 is better than #1 for me.  I don't want to move up at all, but keeping our 2025 first round pick while getting a top QB is the smarter solution.

• Pie 1