• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Via Panthers Wire via The Athletic , Person says we like AR, but not enough. Buzz about the 3rd

top dawg

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Yea, just the media is mainly on AR, young, and stroud nuts... I was like many fans and didnt hold levis high, i do now.......just got to figure whats going wrong on gamedays.....if that is solved, tepper will need to build a trophy case.....

scary part is I see darnold...... college darnold. 

Darnold had plenty of talent around him at USC. Levis had very little, bad OCs, and was playing injured. It’s really hard to compare the two. Physically Darnold was a good QB, he just has trouble with the mental aspect of the game. Hopefully Reich and co will be able to inquire how mentally ready Levis is.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Darnold had plenty of talent around him at USC. Levis had very little, bad OCs, and was playing injured. It’s really hard to compare the two. Physically Darnold was a good QB, he just has trouble with the mental aspect of the game. Hopefully Reich and co will be able to inquire how mentally ready Levis is.

Yep, the help isnt even close. Thats the hard part of this, but this maybe the first time of lifer panther fan, I feel the current staff will get whichever QB to a legit one. 

These teams drafting QBs early have the same problem as 2022 FL&KU..........be a great deal if both AR and levis could learn with clipboards....but the current times force things...

On 3/6/2023 at 2:56 PM, CPcavedweller said:

Aww yeah. Let's take a guy with a good head on his shoulders because he's from Greensboro.

Dude had one good season in an Air Raid system. He can throw go routes to wide open receivers. Great! SIGN ME UP.

Or, we already have Corral who is basically the same guy so why waste a pick at all?

I don’t see Corral and Hooker as the same guy. Hooker is very smart, dad is Hall of Fame at NC A&T University. 

Regarding Levis, this from Albert Breer...

So when I was asking around on combine winners the last few days, I had one veteran executive put Kentucky QB Will Levis on his list. And another I talked with Monday wondered out loud to me why more people aren’t talking about his combine performance.

Part of it might just be that C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson were that good. Still, Levis acquitted himself well enough to make the second exec theorize that teams might be intentionally quiet on him, in hopes he’ll slip a little.

“I would just say, of all the quarterbacks, he was just as impressive there [at the workout],” he said, adding Levis did well with his team in the interview room. “He showed up in great shape, he’s a really good athlete, he threw it well, he’s got a big arm. I don’t think there’s a lot to nitpick, other than tape from this year. He was really good.”

The first exec, who initially raised his name to me, did say that the combine is the type of environment Levis should thrive in. “In pregame, you look at him, watch him drop back, see the ball come out of his hand, it’s like he’s a pro,” he said, recalling a live exposure he had going to one of Levis’s games in the fall.

“When the lights come on, and the bullets are flying, he just doesn’t look the same,” he continued. “Relative to his physical traits, it just doesn’t come together—there are moments where he makes a great throw, or there’s a drive where he makes a great play, but on the whole there’s just something missing. … He’s super talented, in the end, I see him be a Jay Cutler-ish type.”

Which is to say, just like Stroud and Richardson are, Levis is pretty interesting.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree that Levis had the worst supporting cast and some terrible OCs. Kentucky’s RT was one of the worst I’ve watched. Watch out when looking at just sacks though because AR was the best in college at avoiding sacks. I still think Levis had a much worse OL, but it’s just something to consider.

I've never consistently noticed a player perform as poorly as the Kentucky RT (#77?). It was malpractice letting him stay on the field.

But you're absolutely right in that AR15's legs played a big role in keeping those sack totals low as he was pressured fairly often. Funny enough, Stroud on the other hand was rarely pressured but when he was he just kind of fell apart. That Georgia game was an anomaly compared with the rest of his 2022 tape.

Even so, none of these prospects are going to be perfect. It's a big reason why I'm a proponent of chilling at #9 or moving up to #3 at the highest. Whatever happens though will happen and I'll cheer for whoever it is as loud as I would if it my favorite prospect still being available at #9. 😄

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

He reminds me of Sam Darnold too. I don't look at his supporting cast, or stats, or anything. I just purely look at the player, and watching Levis you'll see him walk into sacks, fail to climb the pocket, lock on to his first read (and often throw it to them no matter what), and then hesitate on throws. He looks mentally shaky when everything isn't going his way.

10 minutes ago, Icege said:

I've never consistently noticed a player perform as poorly as the Kentucky RT (#77?). It was malpractice letting him stay on the field.

But you're absolutely right in that AR15's legs played a big role in keeping those sack totals low as he was pressured fairly often. Funny enough, Stroud on the other hand was rarely pressured but when he was he just kind of fell apart. That Georgia game was an anomaly compared with the rest of his 2022 tape.

Even so, none of these prospects are going to be perfect. It's a big reason why I'm a proponent of chilling at #9 or moving up to #3 at the highest. Whatever happens though will happen and I'll cheer for whoever it is as loud as I would if it my favorite prospect still being available at #9. 😄

Yeah every time I was trying to watch Levis and judge him with my small amount of knowledge they were constantly running the ball because when they went to pass Levis just got pressured immediately (usually right side). 

Stroud definitely panicked under pressure, especially early in the season. As simple as it sounds I think it was because he just never really experienced it. He got a little better later in the year and looked solid against UGA. I’m hoping he kind of learned how to adapt under pressure. He is typically a rhythm/timing passer so he is going to have to learn/adapt to plays breaking down as it’s way more common in the NFL. I do think we have the staff to help him develop there.

Jumping to 3 makes a lot of sense to me. If Stroud and Young are gone we can take our pick of AR/Levis.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

He reminds me of Sam Darnold too. I don't look at his supporting cast, or stats, or anything. I just purely look at the player, and watching Levis you'll see him walk into sacks, fail to climb the pocket, lock on to his first read (and often throw it to them no matter what), and then hesitate on throws. He looks mentally shaky when everything isn't going his way.

You saw Levis fail to climb the pocket? I rarely saw a pocket that was available to climb. Kentucky’s offense was a shitshow from top to bottom so it was really hard to get a good read on him as a player. His 21 tape is pretty good and he actually led Kentucky to a good record and season. I don’t know what happened to that team in 22, but it was hard to watch at times…

6 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

I see a lot of Sam’s good side in him when he makes good plays. When he gets in a rut and makes mistakes, he doesn’t spaz like Darnold does. Sam will have a total nervous breakdown and run around like a rogue roomba until he finds a guy in triple coverage to throw it to and that’s where he is the whole game after. Levis just makes a bad play and shakes it off.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

You saw Levis fail to climb the pocket? I rarely saw a pocket that was available to climb. Kentucky’s offense was a shitshow from top to bottom so it was really hard to get a good read on him as a player. His 21 tape is pretty good and he actually led Kentucky to a good record and season. I don’t know what happened to that team in 22, but it was hard to watch at times…

Yeah, he had a bad line, he also failed his own lineman often as well. He has difficulty moving within the pocket, it is what it is.

Just now, Cdparr7 said:

I see a lot of Sam’s good side in him when he makes good plays. When he gets in a rut and makes mistakes, he doesn’t spaz like Darnold does. Sam will have a total nervous breakdown and run around like a rogue roomba until he finds a guy in triple coverage to throw it to and that’s where he is the whole game after. Levis just makes a bad play and shakes it off.

Well, Sam is completely broken. Will isn't completely broken, but has a lot of the deficiencies in his game.

• Pie 1