• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What a Shaq extension/restructure could look like

ECHornet

Contract info pulled from Spotrac. Very possible I got some of the math wrong so tear my potential extension apart. 

image.thumb.png.dac041284f315a17c08e0c0264e812e6.png

Key points:

-Shaq gets a two year AAV of $11,580,000 with extension/restructure. Seems fair for him.

-Panthers get $8,996,250 in cap savings next year while also keeping an important piece for our defense

Do you think Shaq is worth a contract like this or should we just cut bait now?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I do wonder if Shaq would be looked at differently if he didn’t have to replace luke… which he was never gonna be able to do

i also wonder what we’d think if he was playing the way he was supposed to be drafted… a sidekick of luke able to fly around the field 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ChrisSimmsspleen said:

I've never thought he lived up to a first round draft pick.  He is getting older so I would move on.  Great player and teammate though.

Looking back over it yeah he hasn't been what you really want out of a 1st rounder, but that draft class sucked. Not really anyone behind him through the 2nd round that would have made a significant impact on the team

55 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

I do wonder if Shaq would be looked at differently if he didn’t have to replace luke… which he was never gonna be able to do

i also wonder what we’d think if he was playing the way he was supposed to be drafted… a sidekick of luke able to fly around the field 

He was drafted to replace TD, and Ron pandered to vets so Shaq was rotational, aside from health Luke would still be playing most likely. 

Shaq came in as a will LBer. Not a Mike.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

I'd say cut him for the full savings 13M'ish, look to sign Okereke who has history with Reich. He's younger, more athletic and would pair well with Smith as the iff ball LBs.

I like your plan. I’m not a big fan of void years anyway, and it seems that would be the only way to work out a Shaq extension. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'd prefer to extend him at a cheaper price because it's a gamble that we'd actually be able to replace his above average play for cheaper via Free agency.

It’s tough because it also has to be a deal that Shaq will accept. I think he would like to stay a Panther, but I don’t think he’s willing to take a pay cut based on what others have heard. 

• Pie 1

At this point, whole sale changes to defense, arguments can be made to keep him and to discard him. 

I'm not sure that we could upgrade the position and even come out even money wise. 

My preference is to extend him, but it's not going to be the end of the world losing him.