• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Size bros, I did some research and you're correct. Here's some stats about this year's QB class

jayboogieman

3 minutes ago, csx said:

Why wouldn't you use his official height? As if you weren't aware of the whole concept of college teams fudging these numbers nor aware that we all know that nor aware that this was  recently a storyline of the combine covered here?

I used ESPN for the stats since it came up as one of the top results. They've listed 6' all last season and I didn't think about checking combine measurements.

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Bro check the NFL page for him.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bryce-young/3200594f-5512-4763-ab24-c1bd051ef0ef

If you want to nit pick, it was 5'10.25.

Hes short and light even for kicker standards.....

From the page I linked:

image.png.34127a735ba7ba066dfb0dd6b2def55c.png

2 minutes ago, Brent Gregory said:

Every other Mayfield pass was batted down last year. He's got 2-3 inches on Young. That and Youngs a natural 190 pound guy is plenty enough reason to run as fast away from him as possible.  

Mayfield also mostly just dropped back and stood there instead of navigating the pocket looking for a throwing lane. Young looks for those lanes as did Brees and other successful shorter QBs

Just now, jayboogieman said:

I used ESPN for the stats since it came up as one of the top results. They've listed 6' all last season and I didn't think about checking combine measurements.

From the page I linked:

image.png.34127a735ba7ba066dfb0dd6b2def55c.png

We got it and its wrong. I mean even the page I posted is wrong about his 204 weight....that 194 is a lie too.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

We'll take these guys in order of size but for comparison sake, we'll include the little guy's stats too.

Young(6'0" 194lbs):

64.5 CMP% for 3328 YDs, 32TDs, 5 INTs, and a rating of 163.2

Now on to the show.

Stroud(6'3" 218lbs):

66.3 CMP% for 3688 YDs, 41 TDs, 6 INTs, and a rating of 177.7

Levis(6'3" 232lbs):

65.4 CMP% for 2406 YDs, 19 TDs, 10 INTs, and a rating of 151.9

Hooker(6'4" 218lbs):

69.6 CMP% for 3135 YDs, 27 TDs, 2 INTs, and a rating of 175.5

Ahlers(6'4" 230lbs):

67.2 CMP% for 3708 YDs, 28 TDs, 5 INTs, and a rating of 151.1

Richardson(6'4" 232lbs):

53.8 CMP% for 2549 YDs, 17 TDs, 9 INT, and a rating of 131.0

McKee(6'6" 230lbs):

62.0 CMP% for 2947 YDs, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, and a rating of 126.4

So, it's a clear choice when you just consider size and stats, ECU's Holton Ahlers should be the #1 pick in the draft and Carolina's QB of the future. The stats don't lie! He offers ideal size with better stats than Richardson and McKee and he's bigger than the rest. Of course that is discounting age, level of competition, supporting casts, coaching, and how well they actually play the position. But that stuff doesn't matter. Size matters trumps talent, skill, and how well a guy plays the position.

Just kidding! The Panthers should totally draft Levis or Richardson at 1. I'm still joking... mostly.

Now that the joking is out of the way, let's take a look at Young's and Stroud's two losses.

Stroud:

Vs UGA

67.6 CMP% for 348 YDs, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and a rating of 192.4 *Best game of his career and let down by his defense.

Vs Mich

64.6 CMP% for 349 YDs, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, and a rating of 131.1 *If you watched this one, you saw him and the offense fall apart in the second half.

Young:

Vs Tenn

67.3 CMP% for 455 YDs, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and a rating of 153.5 *Good game but let down by his defense.

Vs LSU

49.0 CMP% for 328 YDs, 1 TD, 1 INT, and a rating of 105.6 *Not a great game, but Young did enough to win and the defense couldn't get a stop.

And for giggles, here is Young Vs UGA in the 21-22 season.

12/4

59.1 CMP% for 421 YDs, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and a rating of 162.0 *Alabama won this one.

1/10

61.4 CMP% for 369 YDs, 1 TD, 2 INTs, and a rating of 114.6 *National title game that UGA won.

Honestly, Young and Stroud both are great college QBs with Stroud having the better stats due to having a better supporting cast. The Michigan game should be a big concern for Stroud. Michigan couldn't get to him much until late in the game yet he couldn't do much at all against that defense in the second half. He had trouble reading coverge and as the game went on, Michigan started getting good pressure on him. That caused Stroud to start missing and throw a pick. He then had the game of his life vs UGA. Is he a one hit wonder?

Young didn't play great in several games last season. He might have been pressing, trying to live up to the Heisman and number 1 pick talk hype or maybe he just didn't have the same chemistry with his receivers his junior year vs his sophomore year. That said, he played well enough to win every game he was in and Alabama only lost those two games because the defense couldn't get stops. The last team with the ball won the Tenn and LSU games.

How all these guys play at the next level will depend on their personal drive and where they end up. While Stroud was the better passer, Young was the better, more complete QB and proved he could play at a high level despite his "size concerns" against current and future NFL players that played in the SEC.

Still after going back and fourth with some of the posters here, I think I've arrived at the point I want to see the Panthers take Richardson or Levis at #1 just to watch this place burn.

I'd be happy with either, I think both have the chance to be special in this league, & back in the day when I was pissed that we "burned a 3rd rounder on an undersized WR from Utah of all places" I quickly realized I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

As far as the huddle burning, my first thought was if Goodell really wanted to troll the poo out of us, he'd get up there & say "For the 1st pick of the '24 NFL draft, the Carolina Panthers select, Inside linebacker..." & just pause right there.

• Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

We got it and its wrong. I mean even the page I posted is wrong about his 204 weight....that 194 is a lie too.

Right. All the info for all the QBs came from the same part of ESPN's site except for the 2021 UGA stuff. I had to pull that from another site since that part of ESPN just showed the last season.

Anyway, let's just do the right thing and draft Ahlers, Richardson, or Levis and watch this place Indie Film Boom GIF by Signature Entertainment

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, 332nd said:

I'd be happy with either, I think both have the chance to be special in this league, & back in the day when I was pissed that we "burned a 3rd rounder on an undersized WR from Utah of all places" I quickly realized I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

As far as the huddle burning, my first thought was if Goodell really wanted to troll the poo out of us, he'd get up there & say "For the 1st pick of the '24 NFL draft, the Carolina Panthers select, Inside linebacker..." & just pause right there.

Yeah, we won't know until they play.

Goodall saying RB instead of LB would work too.

• Pie 1