• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnell Washington in the 2nd?

chknwing

I'm cool with any legit WR/TE prospect, I think that's pretty much our only option early in the 2nd unless some surprise faller is sitting there. Our OL will set up Stroud/Young well but we do need some weapons. Draft a guy in early in the 2nd and sign a guy or two in FA.

the thing about Washington, is he can be a two-dimensional TE and he can block an edge rusher. 

He solo blocked Will Anderson--the best player in this draft.

He is a bit raw--his upside is tremendous.  Don't expect three TEs to go in round 1.  They tend to fall.  I think a TE will be there in the second. 

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Shocker said:

We need a TE but I would try to get one in FA and target WR in the second

I’m the opposite, thinking there will be a better TE than WR available. But I don’t know much about the WR group. Who are you hoping to be available?

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

I’m the opposite, thinking there will be a better TE than WR available. But I don’t know much about the WR group. Who are you hoping to be available?

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/WR/1/2023

Hyatt, Flowers, Downs and Mims could all help immediately but 1 guy I like the Rashee Rice.  

I like Trey Palmer in round 3 as a deep threat…he is smooth

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

Get the WR in free agency--we are sitting pretty to get a top TE in the second round.

"Since 2000, NFL franchises have drafted 24 tight ends in the first round." (PFF)

That comes to just over 1 TE per year goes in the first round.  While the TE position is more valued now than it has been recently, I still see other positions getting pinned on boards ahead of TE.

If you take the view that any of the top 3 TEs is acceptable, Kincaid (#17), Mayer (#28), and Washington (#70) are the top 3 TEs on PFF's big board--I think Washington should be around #32--so one could drop.  

I think we need a veteran WR to go with the young ones.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

In fact, Washington was ranked 4th on PFF's big board (I disagree--he is the second or third best TE in this draft--nasty man)  and there is another TE who could be considered in the second round:

50. TE Sam LaPorta, Iowa

LaPorta put on a show that will give GMs a lot to think about early on Day 2. He ran a 4.59-second 40 and put up a 6.91 three cone to hit the receiver daily double. Big, fast, and able to change directions is kind of the definition of tight end play.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3