• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Stroud and it shouldn't even be close

NAS

30 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Just wait until they hear the selection. If it's not my qb this franchise is the dumbest ever.

I already said I'm OK if they select Young, but selectin Richardson or Levis at #1 would be the dumbest move ever.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

And Flutie played 20 years of pro football (12 in NFL) at 5’10, 180. That was the point. 

He started 66 career games in an era where there weren't guys playing at 230+ lbs and running 4.4 40s...

I like Bryce Young, incredible prospect and the size doesn't even scare me off that much. If Stroud weren't also a great prospect with ideal size I'd be all in on Young 1st overall. But with Stroud in play, his size is enough of a concern that I prefer Stroud. And it's not just height, his frame is really really small. Wilson, Murray, Brees are all much bulkier than Young. And honestly even if Young were 6'2 220 there could still be an argument for Stroud. Stroud is a great player and I bet if he didn't play at Ohio State but at a different college that is known for creating successful NFL QBs he'd be rated higher. The dude's tape is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Eric4280 said:

It’s been pointed out countless times on here and I’m sure I’ll get flack for it. Yes, fine, Young didn’t play elite nfl players every week. Stroud will not have Garret Wilson, Chris Olave, Marvin Harrison Jr, Jaxson Smith Njigba, and Emeka Egbuka level wr talent gap over primarily big10 level CB. Terrace Marshall, Laviska Shanault, Shi Smith and maybe Jakobi Meyers… Adam Theilen, Juju… and whatever leftover is at 39 (I hope Hyatt for the team build purposes). Yep. Young will ALWAYS be small and that’ll scare a lot. But there is a chance that Stroud ends up being just a solid mid tier qb, unless ya surround him with real talent. And that’ll be hard to do until like 2024 because THIS team needs a first round WR. Not a solid wr 2 , a real bonafide one. It also needs a real WEAPON out of the backfield . Not Chuba Hubbard. It also needs usage at Tight End, not Ian Thomas. 

Our build is exactly why I’m afraid of Stroud and get crap for it. If we had ATL weapons, fine yeah absolutely Stroud has 2 huge targets that are potentially elite. Come here and you’ll have to scrape the bottom of the barrel (and do not try to sell me on this FA class of wr please) at damn near all positions.

This makes no sense, how can you fault someone for having talent around him?  The idea that Young can come in here and play at an elite level without top teir talent around him is ridiculous.  This is the NFL not college, the defenses are faster, larger and the windows are tighter.  You need a QB who can stand in the pocket, use the whole field, and strike with pin point accuracy.  That is Stroud.  To be successful, Young will have to get out of the pocket and wait for plays to break down.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

He started 66 career games in an era where there weren't guys playing at 230+ lbs and running 4.4 40s...

I like Bryce Young, incredible prospect and the size doesn't even scare me off that much. If Stroud weren't also a great prospect with ideal size I'd be all in on Young 1st overall. But with Stroud in play, his size is enough of a concern that I prefer Stroud. And it's not just height, his frame is really really small. Wilson, Murray, Brees are all much bulkier than Young. And honestly even if Young were 6'2 220 there could still be an argument for Stroud. Stroud is a great player and I bet if he didn't play at Ohio State but at a different college that is known for creating successful NFL QBs he'd be rated higher. The dude's tape is ridiculous.

You mentioned Wilson, Brees, and Murray all being much bulkier. At their respective combines….

Brees weighed 9lbs more

Murray weighed 3lbs more

Wilson weighed the same as Young. 

2 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

i wonder how many people will be saying it’s Young after his pro day, though it’s hard to show off his ability to read a defense without a defense.

Stroud showed everything he needed to show for 2 years, yet people still doubted him. Then he played UGA, the nations unquestioned top defense, and Ohio State should've won BECAUSE of Stroud. 

Young is just too small man. What happens when a 350 lb DT grabs him and slings him to the ground? Kyler Murray can't stay healthy, Tua can't stay healthy, most of his comps get injured quite a bit. The only two guys I can think of his size who have been good, and healthy, are Russell Wilson and Drew Brees but Wilson is a different style of player and Brees is Brees. 

Stroud is giving me Mahome's vibes with his throwing motion, his release, his ability to buy time without looking to run, and how he just makes everything look easy. Give me Stroud. 

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

You mentioned Wilson, Brees, and Murray all being much bulkier. At their respective combines….

Brees weighed 9lbs more

Murray weighed 3lbs more

And Murray has been injured every season he's played (save for one, maybe), and Wilson and Brees are two Hall of Fame QB's. Young may end up being that good but man, the track record for Murray and Tua staying healthy don't help Young here. It's a question of physics, not ability. 

Also, not all weight is created equal. Put Brees and Wilson next to Young, you will see they carry their muscle mass quite a bit differently than Young. Murray is constantly injured or playing Call of Duty so that's probably not the comparison you want to make. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Brees weighed 9lbs more

Murray weighed 3lbs more

Their frames are able to hold that weight, Young's isn't. He added pounds for the weigh in and didn't do the workouts because of it. He's almost certainly already back down to like 185-190. He's a tiny dude for a QB and it's a fair concern.

8 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

This makes no sense, how can you fault someone for having talent around him?  The idea that Young can come in here and play at an elite level without top teir talent around him is ridiculous.  This is the NFL not college, the defenses are faster, larger and the windows are tighter.  You need a QB who can stand in the pocket, use the whole field, and strike with pin point accuracy.  That is Stroud.  To be successful, Young will have to get out of the pocket and wait for plays to break down.

Well, Young even had to get out of the pocket to see plays with Alabama so I don't expect that to change in the NFL. 

Just now, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

I'm like 95% confident it is Stroud. He is exactly what Reich looks for in a QB. The 5% is Tepper going full Jerry Jones

You've got to remember that Fitterer sets the roster and Reich decides who plays. Frank has acknowledged that on several occasions. Now I'm not saying Frank doesn't have a large stake in this decision.  But the fact still remains that Fitterer sets the roster. Tepper also has a huge stake in who these guys have traded so much for. They make this kid the face of the franchise going forward. Tepper will have a lot of say in this whether you guys like it or not.

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Their frames are able to hold that weight, Young's isn't. He added pounds for the weigh in and didn't do the workouts because of it. He's almost certainly already back down to like 185-190. He's a tiny dude for a QB and it's a fair concern.

His frame can hold it. I believe I read he’s working through a shoulder issue at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

His frame can hold it. I believe I read he’s working through a shoulder issue at the moment. 

Look at his hips, knees, and ankles....he will not be able to play at 200....well, he may be able to go on the field, but it's gonna look BAD.