• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Bryce young will be the pick and we should be excited

RIPTreyLance

1 hour ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Young's playing weight is 35 pounds lighter that Wilson. Wilson was mobile. Young is not particularly quick or mobile. Young's arm is average, at best. I pray that the Panthers do not draft Young.

So you are saying the Young played at 170 lbs?  That would mean that he gained 34 lbs between early January and early March.

I guess the better question is this:  Where is the line (weight) that determines a player is too small to play QB in the NFL? 

I literally do not know, but I can say that QBs are babied now, protected like the Pope at a biker convention.  Since the QB started getting protected more, the smaller QBs have emerged.  The game has changed as well.  So if you teach a player to slide and check down quicky (which he can do) and throw it out of bounds, can you prolong his career?  Russell Wilson did that better than anyone, and he missed 4 games in 11 seasons in Seattle.  

Young needs to add size--muscle weight and there seems to be room for it.  

I prefer Stroud, but if we go with Young, I know we are getting a solid, smart, QB. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

10 hours ago, RIPTreyLance said:

Think about this. Fitterer came from Seattle where he had Russell Wilson. He’s quite undersized and had an amazing Seattle career. If rumor is true Tepper likes Bryce Young as well, it just makes sense he will be the guy especially if he shows out at his pro day. The size thing. Y’all are overthinking it. 

and why should we be excited? A Russell Wilson in his prime was fun to watch and Bryce young is a lot like him in my opinion. Our version of him could be even better. That will be must watch football. Let’s be honest all of you would take Prime Russell right now… 

People are gonna call me crazy but hey. Check my last posts. I always get poo’d and yet I’m always right. I said last YEAR WE SHOULD TRADE CMC AND DJ MOORE for the highest capital possible because we just weren’t gonna get it done with them due to other circumstances. Called that. *shrugs* 

Bryce young will be the pick. 

No thanks. A Russell Wilson in his prime is looking more and more like a byproduct of Pete Carroll’s coaching ability. 

Please don’t compare Bryce to Russ. 

25 minutes ago, Varking said:

You can look at my post history. Wanting us to trade up to pair Burrow with The OC we got from LSU. 

Before the draft I became sold on Herbert. 

I’ve always been anti Zach Wilson and Trey Lance. Obviously felt Lawrence would make a good pro and I wanted us to draft Fields, who I think takes a significant step forward passing the ball this season…

I wasn’t too concerned with QBs before that because we have had Cam on the roster. 

Im not confident Young stays healthy for years in the NFL and when a smaller guy like him gets the legs dinged up a bit how elusive will he be in the pocket? It’s those minor dings that lead to the major ones. 

Strouds been my pick since October on this message board and I’m confident the Carolina Panthers get better, faster, with CJ Stroud than we do with Young because we are going to have years where Young misses the bulk of the snaps due to injury. 

I remember you were all in on Stroud waaaay back. I don’t follow college ball as closely so it has taken me a while to catch up, but I’m all in on Stroud as well.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

that is a fair statement and it is something I did not fully understand until I started researching the difference between these 2 qbs. Ryan Day seems to have added pro-style elements to the offense, but the pro-style offense employed by Nick Saban requires more of a QB. From what I can see, the QB has a pass-first option, and that option is predetermined from the best I can tell--but Saban's offense is a pro style offense.  It is hard to say because they are all hybrids right now, but I made the comment because I know Saban's offense is more of a pure pro-style offense. 

This is not a knock on Stroud--he is my preference--I am simply attempting to figure it out.  While you can argue that Day runs a form of a pro-style offense, it is not as pure as what they do in Alabama.  There may not be a significant difference.  Have you overlayed the OSU offense over the Bama offense?

I don't claim to be an expert but I do know that Ohio State runs a pro-style system.  But if you say that Alabama's system is more advanced then that's ok with me.  

35 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So you are saying the Young played at 170 lbs?  That would mean that he gained 34 lbs between early January and early March.

I guess the better question is this:  Where is the line (weight) that determines a player is too small to play QB in the NFL? 

I literally do not know, but I can say that QBs are babied now, protected like the Pope at a biker convention.  Since the QB started getting protected more, the smaller QBs have emerged.  The game has changed as well.  So if you teach a player to slide and check down quicky (which he can do) and throw it out of bounds, can you prolong his career?  Russell Wilson did that better than anyone, and he missed 4 games in 11 seasons in Seattle.  

Young needs to add size--muscle weight and there seems to be room for it.  

I prefer Stroud, but if we go with Young, I know we are getting a solid, smart, QB. 

Wilson is 220 pounds if not more. Young's playing weight was 185 pounds.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Varking said:

If Day keeps losing to Michigan he will become an absolute stud of a QB Coach or offensive coordinator for another team. 

That's true.  Unfortunately, Ohio State's defense has been in name only.  Still, they were a missed field goal away from beating Georgia and being national champions.  FWIW, I think Ohio State is the team to beat this season.

5 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Frame concerns are valid I'm but tired of hearing about height. Been proven time and time again here that it doesn't matter.

I'd love to see the stats for Murray and Wilson on throws over the middle.

I'd bet that most of their success is on throws to the outside. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Tbe said:

While a lot of ‘analysts’ say size shouldn’t matter with Young, most former players I’ve heard discuss him are scared for him. 
Pat McAfee did a segment the other day on this. He and another former player were extremely skeptical that Young won’t get killed out there some day. He’s just so small.

PacMan Jones said "I'm 5'10" too and I can't see over the Oline".

JJ Watt said "If you like him, and he can make his reads, who cares about his size?" - the context was McAfee was talking about monsters like Watt coming after him on the Dline.

1 hour ago, SazmoRanger said:

How did he survive in the SEC? Sure they’re bigger overall in the NFL, but let’s not act like he didn’t demolish Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, etc who are as BIG as NFL players. 

Some of them are, yes.

The NFL is recruiting class after recruiting class of College All-Stars - a decade's worth infact.