• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Natalie Miller (aka Verge): per her sources, Panthers moved up to #1 to take Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Did we not just watch Baker have 2-3 per game?

I was looking for Cam Newtons stats, since he always seemed to have a lot of battered balls. 

Baker had 4-5 per game. 

Is Baker Mayfield's height to blame for his passes getting batted down? - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

Mayfield has had nine passes batted down at the line in his last two starts. He had five swatted away by the Pittsburgh Steelers in his last start for the Browns in January before sitting out the season finale.

His 48 passes batted down at the line are the most in the NFL since Cleveland made him the top pick of the 2018 draft. Next is Indianapolis' Matt Ryan.

Ryan is 6'4", so maybe the issue isn't height in a league where the average for quarterbacks is 6'3".

Still, on a per-pass level, Mayfield's 2.46 percent passes batted down mark is the second-highest rate in the league among the 30 quarterbacks that have attempted at least 1,000 passes since 2018. The only quarterback with a higher percentage over that span is 6'5" Cam Newton at 2.56 percent.

In terms of most passes batted down per game, Mayfield's 1.04 average is the fifth highest since 2018 behind Minnesota's Kirk Cousins (6'3"), Ryan and Arizona's Kyler Murray (5'10").

Here is an article regarding Cam.

Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton struggling with passes batted down - Carolina Panthers Blog- ESPN

• Pie 1

Just now, rayzor said:

I feel absolutely great about either Young or Stroud and can't wait to hear which one it is on draft day...if it's going to be one of those two, which it seems it will be.

If it's Richardson...i'll be surprised and i'll find a way to be excited about the future.

if it's Levis.... i don't know. i'm at best unenthusiastic about him and feel like if i hear his name called it will bring about an even bigger "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" from me than hearing Clausen's name did a decade ago. then i'd do what i did with clausen and try to be optimistic.

I think it will be Young or Stroud, but if it is Richardson, it will be like the second coming of Cam.  I can get behind all that.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

There is another giveaway that demonstrates how highly regarded Young is in terms of respect around the league.  The Texans reportedly offered their 2024 first round pick to Chicago to move up.  Reportedly, they loved Young.

Keep in mind, as stated on NFL Network, that SF in 2021 originally traded up for an Alabama QB--Jones--and during the time between the trade and the draft, fell in love with Lance.

Romeo was madly in love with Roseline before he met Juliet and forgot all about her. In other words, Shakespeare understood the NFL Draft.

While we know that Young is an incredibly smart player, that does not mean Stroud is not.  I am sure that the Panthers will know the answers to their questions in due time.

Counterpoint, they traded up after the Combine where Young refused to take off his hoodie and participate in any drills 'cos he was carrying 15lbs of water weight...

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Counterpoint, they traded up after the Combine where Young refused to take off his hoodie and participate in any drills 'cos he was carrying 15lbs of water weight...

We do not know. 

I just hear the word "processing" and "point guard" and "size doesn't matter,"  and either they are great at lying and deception to influence a trade with Houston or they are spewing characteristics that they have prioritized during their film sessions.

At the combine, we could see Stroud's strengths and they were impressive.  I think this is going to come down to the things we can't see at a workout--on the white board and watching film from the endzone.

8 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Second coming of Cam in, like, 2 years. 

Cam was fairly raw when he came out, and most people do not realize that he was below 60% completions for his career.  At Auburn in 2010 Cam was at 66%--so his accuracy dropped--(pro system vs. spread)

Edited by MHS831

6 hours ago, SOJA said:

I trust Natalie but it *really* seems like the Panthers are leaking we love Young so that Houston will give us a king's ransom to move up one spot 

I agree that that's probably the reason why right now, but I'm not sure it bears any fruit.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

There is another giveaway that demonstrates how highly regarded Young is in terms of respect around the league.  The Texans reportedly offered their 2024 first round pick to Chicago to move up.  Reportedly, they loved Young.

Keep in mind, as stated on NFL Network, that SF in 2021 originally traded up for an Alabama QB--Jones--and during the time between the trade and the draft, fell in love with Lance.

Romeo was madly in love with Roseline before he met Juliet and forgot all about her. In other words, Shakespeare understood the NFL Draft.

While we know that Young is an incredibly smart player, that does not mean Stroud is not.  I am sure that the Panthers will know the answers to their questions in due time.

Dude, I'm so stealing that when I talk about Shakespeare later this year!

For me, I have no clue. I love the speculation because it's a wonderful distraction from my personal life events that suck.  Keep it up!

I trust this staff about a billion times more than the last staff to develop anything!

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I agree that that's probably the reason why right now, but I'm not sure it bears any fruit.

For me, I have no clue. I love the speculation because it's a wonderful distraction from my personal life events that suck.  Keep it up!

I trust this staff about a billion times more than the last staff to develop anything!

8 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I am thoroughly enjoying this offseason.  Sure--take the Shakespeare stuff.  Funny how they are considered the quintessential symbols for true love when they were 14ish and 16, knew each other for less than a week, and ended up killing themselves.  So if our GM acts like Romeo and falls in love with someone he meets at the Combine in Indy's house (a team also looking for a QB)----I think, however, if Romeo had Juliet's 40 time and had he seen her throw before making the decision, he might have gone back to Rosaline--the taller Capulet.

• Beer 1

"Bryce Young is one of the best 'processors' I've scouted over the past decade—he sees the entire field so well," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. tweeted.

Young is also extremely accurate, whether in the pocket or on the move. While he's not a run-heavy quarterback like Murray, he has plenty of escapability in his game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10066071-bryce-young-will-be-the-most-polarizing-prospect-at-2023-nfl-scouting-combine

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

9 hours ago, Captroop said:

I'm sure they'll tell anyone who will listen they want to take Young at #1 as long as their sure word gets back to Houston and Indy. 

I don’t understand this thought process. Why would we care if Houston or Indy knows about which QB we want? Sure with Houston if we want to trade with them, but why would they want Young that bad versus getting Stroud? I’m being told by the Huddle that Stroud is a no brainer, but also being told by the Huddle that we’re talking up Young because he’s the guy Indy and Houston wants? Why would Houston/Indy want Young over Stroud when Young obviously wont last in the NFL because of his size(not my opinion but many others). 

Secondly, no way we trade to Indy at 4. We’d basically have to pick between Levis and Richardson and we didn’t trade all the way up to 1 to draft the 4th best QB prospect. 

• Pie 2

Just now, MHS831 said:

I think it will be Young or Stroud, but if it is Richardson, it will be like the second coming of Cam.  I can get behind all that.

i'm trying to sell myself on that and i can see it, but Cam was a whole lot further along in his development and skill as a QB at draft time than AR is so it will be something that would be fun to watch, but at least a year away from being the QB that Cam was right out of the gate.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

i'm trying to sell myself on that and i can see it, but Cam was a whole lot further along in his development and skill as a QB at draft time than AR is so it will be something that would be fun to watch, but at least a year away from being the QB that Cam was right out of the gate.

Valid point.  My hope is the better OL and much better staff that would be around AR would help offset Cam being the more developed passer.  I really think it's between Young and Stroud at 1 though.  If we move down then AR is probably in play.  

Bryce Young and the QB size dilemma. 

This article summarizes it quite well, imo.  Basically compares Young to other small QBs.  "He will officially register as a uniquely small player—one that will force one NFL team to take one of the greatest risks, one of the biggest plunges, that we’ve seen in any draft cycle. And he’ll start his journey to become one of the league’s greatest outliers."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-draft/2023/3/3/23623742/bryce-young-height-short-nfl-combine-outlier

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We do not know. 

I just hear the word "processing" and "point guard" and "size doesn't matter,"  and either they are great at lying and deception to influence a trade with Houston or they are spewing characteristics that they have prioritized during their film sessions.

At the combine, we could see Stroud's strengths and they were impressive.  I think this is going to come down to the things we can't see at a workout--on the white board and watching film from the endzone.

The million dollar question is does our staff want to move down to 2 and acquire more capital.  If that is the case then the Young at 1 is being "leaked" because that is Houston's guy.   The counter is they have the top pick and can be as bold as they want about it.  They moved up to 1 with Young being a great pick and will still do their research on the other guys to validate him as the guy.