• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What I think is happening with the team's "QB debate" (theory)

XClown1986

It's Stroud. 100%. I have been banging the table for Bryce Young, and I think he will be a good QB, but after watching McCown, Simms, and O'Sullivan break down CJ's game, while also looking at the video of the Colts fan analyzing Reich's scheme, it is 100% Stroud. Everything that is problematic about Stroud's game can be protected or fixed in Reich's scheme. That may not be true in every scheme, but this is Reich's guy. And if Tepper doesn't want to damage their relationship from the jump, he will let him pick his guy. Stroud is coming to Carolina. With that being said, I think all of the chatter about the other guys IS actually happening. But not from the coaches. Remember the owner/execs like Young and Richardson, while the coaches love Stroud? Well...

I think the clamor for Young or Richardson is because they would be more of a spectacle, because lets be honest, CJ Stroud doesn't show much personality on or off the field. Young and Richardson are exciting players. Tepper and the execs are looking at their bottom line. Even if it doesn't work out in the rookie year, the guy will get the fans, the NFL world, excited to watch the Panthers play. That means more media exposure, more ticket sales, more merchandise sales, etc. And if it doesn't work out with this guy? Rinse and repeat in a couple of years. If it does work out? GENIUSES! So... there is no downside to it from a business aspect. But Tepper wants to win. He has made that very clear. And Bryce Young is a winner. A clutch player. And he is a great leader (which he values, because he too aspires to that *failures and grumbles from fans aside*). So I think it's easy to connect Tepper to Young.

So here what I think the truth of the matter is:

CJ Stroud is going to be a Panther. That is who Reich wants, and who the coaching staff feels they can work with successfully.

Tepper wants to win. He invested A LOT in the coaching staff and by okaying the cost of trading up to number 1. He wants to get this right. And he is a stats guy. By the stats... Young is the guy. Every metric you can look at says Young. But... He HAS to trust Reich's and the other coaches judgement. Why spend so much to bring in a top tier coaching staff if you can't even trust them to pick their own quarterback? So he gives his input, evaluates their responses, and ultimately leaves the decision to them.

The execs/front office guys are in Tepper's ear about Richardson. After what Cam did to Charlotte? It was GREAT for business and exposure. Richardson is an elite athlete. Even if he loses, he can still make those wow plays that will fill seats, get media coverage, and keep fingers crossed. I don't think these thoughts are being listened to with much sincerity, but when voices speak, they are heard, and the game of telephone has inflated the actual interest.

I actually think if we had stayed at 9, we would have missed on 2 out of the 3 aforementioned, tried to trade down to accumulate more capital, and taken either Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee (pieces are there, and we can hide their imperfections with more surrounding talent).

Sending 11-12 guys to Ohio State is not a smokescreen. It's making sure that we know EVERYTHING before turning the card in. I wouldn't be shocked if Stroud is requested to speak to each attendee, and each attendee had a different agenda for the conversation, just to make sure there are no skeletons or demons following this kid to Charlotte.

This, in my opinion, is the most logical progression of what has transpired in the media. The media gets paid for creating noise. But make no mistake, they got "big handful o' nuthin" and they know it. But why not milk it for the hits? 

Also, the "willing to possibly trade back" talk was either a hail mary attempt to weasel a pick or two out of Houston (poorly done), OR coach speak "Sure, everything is on the table right now"... because... why wouldn't it be? The draft isn't today, so we aren't closing up shop if a deal of a lifetime comes this way.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk. Please return to your normal programming of bashing other posters and posting repeated topics.

Edited by XClown1986
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

I mostly agree with you. But I don’t necessarily buy that Tepper particularly wants Young or Richardson more than Stroud. I think that is all part of the misdirection game they’re playing, whether that’s at the NFL’s behest to keep the mystery alive or it’s because there’s the outside chance we can hustle a pick out of the Texans while still getting our guy. No matter what it is, Tepper will let Reich take his guy because if Tepper has proven anything in his tenure as owner it’s that he’s the furtherest thing from a meddling owner. If anything he should have been meddling more while Rhule was here. 

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, travisura said:

Best way to sell tickets and merch is to win games, best way to win games is to let the coaches pick their QB.I'

I think you're overstating the impact Young/Richardson would have on their own. No one's gonna pay to see either of them if the team is 6-11.

I'm not overstating it. The front office execs would be.

Young? Heisman Trophy winner? Charismatic? Already doing commercials and other types of media exposure? Yeah, he would get a reaction. No one knows if he will win or lose when he is drafted. The hype would be hope and excitement. And if he fails in year one, it is explained away as rookie growing pains and needing more surrounding talent. It really isn't until year 3 that guys are put on the chopping block. That's a lot of capital to gain off of this kid's presence in the meantime.

Richardson? Look at what happened after the combine. He went from MAYBE being a late 1st round pick, to possibly going number 1. He caused real excitement. People were infatuated with his athleticism. That is ALL that was (and to a degree, still is) being talked about, everywhere. The other QBs took a backseat to this guy that didn't have great statistics and wasn't a winner in college. Didn't matter. That kind of public reaction gets attention from the guys looking at the dollar sign potential.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I mostly agree with you. But I don’t necessarily buy that Tepper particularly wants Young or Richardson more than Stroud. I think that is all part of the misdirection game they’re playing, whether that’s at the NFL’s behest to keep the mystery alive or it’s because there’s the outside chance we can hustle a pick out of the Texans while still getting our guy. No matter what it is, Tepper will let Reich take his guy because if Tepper has proven anything in his tenure as owner it’s that he’s the furtherest thing from a meddling owner. If anything he should have been meddling more while Rhule was here. 

The connection of Tepper wanting Young only comes from the fact that he has stated previously that he is a metrics and statistics guy. Show him the evidence broken down to make the best decision based on results. Young, when evaluated, is tops in the draft in many different important areas for a QB. So I could buy the idea that he is "hedging his bets" on the numbers. Maybe he doesn't feel that way though.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It's smokescreen season.

Lord knows what's real and fake.

Does Bryce young even exist?

Is CJ Stroud really his name?

All these execs are lying out their teeth. Can't trust anything.

According to my sources within the organization, the reason he goes by CJ is that growing up as a farm hand it was his responsibility to make sure there were always enough barn cats to keep the rodent population down. Well, there was an issue in summer of ‘09. The cats stopped breeding. Nobody could explain it. CJ (then known as little Jimmy), being the outstanding young man that he was, devised a genius plan. Each morning he would take the male cats into a room and go to work. They said when the door to that room opened it was like a stampede as the male cats couldn’t get to the female cats fast enough. Thus the legend of the Cat Jacker (CJ for short) was born.

I’m told that story of selfless heroism is a big reason why he’s being considered for the #1 sales job with the Catalina Panters.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

According to my sources within the organization, the reason he goes by CJ is that growing up as a farm hand it was his responsibility to make sure there were always enough barn cats to keep the rodent population down. Well, there was an issue in summer of ‘09. The cats stopped breeding. Nobody could explain it. CJ (then known as little Jimmy), being the outstanding young man that he was, devised a genius plan. Each morning he would take the male cats into a room and go to work. They said when the door to that room opened it was like a stampede as the male cats couldn’t get to the female cats fast enough. Thus the legend of the Cat Jacker (CJ for short) was born.

I’m told that story of selfless heroism is a big reason why he’s being considered for the #1 sales job with the Catalina Panters.

This is weird.

42 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

This was funnier to me than it should’ve been

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

1664589966327834.gif.ee6913672175ddb1ab0508c5de85158e.gif

• Pie 1