• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why Bryce Young undoubtedly is QB1

Ivory Panther

19 minutes ago, Varking said:

Now do Bama! 

Tua misses lots of time and may not be long for the league. Feels like he’s a concussion or two from never playing again. 

Mac Jones regressed in a major way to the point there were grumbling the Patriots were trying to trade him AND he got benched for Zappe. Also has been called for a couple dirty plays in him time including one against Burns. Also battled injuries in the NFL already with his high ankle sprains. 

BAMA QBs = Sawft 

Joe Burrow spent three years at OSU if you want to give Bama credit for Hurts. 

I am getting ready to do just that!   Tua had an injury and some issues with coaches and ownership--but he is settling in as the starter.  Mac Jones regressed, but is statistically no worse than OSU's pride and Joy--Fields (at the moment, anyway).  And can Ohio State name drop like Bama:   Stabler, Namath, Starr, and Todd?  Who would they mention?  Art Schlichter?  Nah, Troy Smith is probably their best NFL QB.  Don't know if it a curse, the systems, etc. and I know it is wrong to put this on Stroud, but it is a concern of mine.  The SEC, in 2021, had 505 players (about 20%, or 1 in 5) playing in the NFL.  That same year, the Big 10 had 381 players in the NFL--(under 15%, or 1 in 6 roughly) The difference of 124 players may seem small, but that would surpass 2 NFL rosters.  Point?  Competition levels in the SEC are higher, and that should factor into the decision.

I argue both sides, (I mentioned that in a post a few days ago), so if you can defend my criticisms, I will dismiss them.

As much as all this may suggest, it comes down to the situation and the support-and can the player process at the highest level.

Edited by MHS831

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Probably UGA. But why only ask about last year? The year before, on his way to the Heisman, he beat one of the best defenses in college history (some would say the best). He also gave them a run in the championship. I mean, that has to stand for something. 

And for everyone talking about a shoulder injury, Stroud was injured also (as you know) with a shoulder injury.

I just think the SEC was weak on defenses last year. The first UGA win was awesome, the championship game was not as UGA made adjustments (2 INTs to 1 TD including the game ending pick 6, -40 rushing yards) but again that was a historic defense. 

People keep saying he handled SEC defenses without getting injured. I’m just saying that isn’t true. Would you not agree?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I just think the SEC was weak on defenses last year. The first UGA win was awesome, the championship game was not as UGA made adjustments (2 INTs to 1 TD including the game ending pick 6, -40 rushing yards) but again that was a historic defense. 

People keep saying he handled SEC defenses without getting injured. I’m just saying that isn’t true. Would you not agree?

We are of the same mindset--I see the issues on both sides.  Yes, I agree with you.  I am literally torn right now--probably have overthought it.  DISCLAIMER:  I am terrible at picking NFL QBs.  I literally suck at it--so I am trying to be more open minded this year.  Argue both sides--a big hypocrite--but it is a bit eye opening at times. 

4 hours ago, frankw said:

My fear is if we take Young he does very well but eventually deals with those inevitable injuries and Stroud ends up looking legit without the injury concerns. This place would be unbearable.

This place would also are unbearable if we take Stroud and then Young goes on to be the best short QB of all time, plays a long 15 year career, and Stroud is anything less than a HOF in his own right.  I'm in the Stroud camp myself, but the point is that you can do it both ways with these guys.

They're forever going to be linked by Panthers and Texans fan bases no matter who chooses who, because both sides will always have to play the "what if game" with the player they don't select.

To be honest though, it's why I was never a fan of trading a haul to move up in the draft this year.  I don't think either are can't miss prospects and by moving up to #1, it really puts that pressure and hindsight on everyone involved to have made the right call, and if not, it could haunt the franchise and fan base for decades, if not forever (think Trailblazer fans are over passing on Jordan yet?  or how about Chargers fans wishing the Colts took Leaf instead?).

Yea, I'm happy that we'll end up with one of the top 2 guys, but initially I wanted to either see if one of the 4 fell to us, only move up as high needed to ensure we landed the 4th off the board and save on some assets, or pass on QB completely this year and go all in to move up next year in a deeper class.

Edited by tukafan21

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He did get hurt so I’m not sure where folks get he handled the SEC without injury. 

Just now, MHS831 said:

We are of the same mindset--I see the issues on both sides.  Yes, I agree with you.  I am literally torn right now--probably have overthought it.  DISCLAIMER:  I am terrible at picking NFL QBs.  I literally suck at it--so I am trying to be more open minded this year.  Argue both sides--a big hypocrite--but it is a bit eye opening at times. 

Oh you can make the argument for either QB, it’s why it’s such a talking point here. I just think Stroud actually played a tougher schedule against strongest defenses in harsher conditions and still put up better numbers than Young. The counter is Stroud had MHJ vs Young having JAGS at WR, but an elite RB. 

On a side note who was the last Bama starting QB to not win a championship much less miss the playoffs his last year?

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Seriously. We have a month to go.  This is fun for me, not pretending to know more than you all (except maybe Scot) because I really suck at talent evaluation.  We have to have something to do.

It’s fun because I really like Young too, but I also enjoy the debate. It’s like if I don’t get my way we still get an elite lil QB. It’s like I’m sorry we are out of filet so you will have to “settle” for the prime rib. Sounds great!!

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s fun because I really like Young too, but I also enjoy the debate. It’s like if I don’t get my way we still get an elite lil QB. It’s like I’m sorry we are out of filet so you will have to “settle” for the prime rib. Sounds great!!

Based on my ability to read the room, I sense that Bryce made a good impression today

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

This place would also are unbearable if we take Stroud and then Young goes on to be the best short QB of all time, plays a long 15 year career, and Stroud is anything less than a HOF in his own right.  I'm in the Stroud camp myself, but the point is that you can do it both ways with these guys.

They're forever going to be linked by Panthers and Texans fan bases no matter who chooses who, because both sides will always have to play the "what if game" with the player they don't select.

To be honest though, it's why I was never a fan of trading a haul to move up in the draft this year.  I don't think either are can't miss prospects and by moving up to #1, it really puts that pressure and hindsight on everyone involved to have made the right call, and if not, it could haunt the franchise and fan base for decades, if not forever (think Trailblazer fans are over passing on Jordan yet?  or how about Chargers fans wishing the Colts took Leaf instead?).

Yea, I'm happy that we'll end up with one of the top 2 guys, but initially I wanted to either see if one of the 4 fell to us, only move up as high needed to ensure we landed the 4th off the board and save on some assets, or pass on QB completely this year and go all in to move up next year in a deeper class.

I'm pretty much there, I did not want to get 1st choice, a good value gamble at original 9 suited me just fine.

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Oh I'm with you I've been mulling over all these scenarios. I'll accept the pick as long as it's by the staff if they think they can mold Young and protect him so be it.

4 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Name me a single QB of his frame that has had a successful NFL career?

I'll help you out.... there hasn't been a single one

Don't give me Wilson or Brees, they're significantly stockier built guys

Don't give me Kyler as he also is stockier (particularly his lower body) and his game is more predicated on his running ability.  Also jury is still very much out as to how is career is going to turn out, it was looking questionable last year before he got hurt as is.

Again, as it's been stated ad nauseam, it's less about his height as much as it is about his frame, it's not built to last in the NFL at that position.  If we draft him, we have to win a SB on his rookie contract as I don't see him making it through a second contract as an elite QB.

And if that's the case, I'd much rather take someone who is only a marginally lesser prospect in Stroud, but is more likely to have a career twice as long.

Brees played at about 205 pounds. How is that not a similar build when it comes to "stockiness" and being able to hold up in the NFL? Corners weigh less, WRs weigh less and you could argue they take more of a pounding than a QB standing in the pocket does yet they are able to hold up in the NFL. Tbh your argument doesn't hold much weight no pun intended.