• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

On 3/29/2023 at 9:16 PM, gmonjimbo said:

I think the point is being missed. I mentioned rushing attempts and mobility within and outside the pocket in the original post. It's more to playstyle not a judgment on a player's performance. CJ is a traditional pocket passer and doesn't move as much as someone with his athletic profile.

What's being discussed is whether he can play more like he did against Georgia or the other games he played at OSU in the NFL. 

IMO, I'd rather have the player that played all the games except GA that averaged almost 300 yards passing. Id rather he not scramble but only if he has to but showed you he can. Young tries to scramble he will break apart like a lego. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

19 hours ago, Wes21 said:

It used to be the norm for the top prospects to skip parts of the combine.  Matt Stafford for instance didn't throw at the combine, even though he would have shined throwing next to the other prospects with his cannon arm.  Then for the last decade or so guys have chosen to compete.  I think the mindset might have changed recently (for whatever reason) and agents are now advising their clients to sit out some stuff at the combine.  That's not just at QB.  It will be interesting to see what becomes the new normal.

In Young's case I think his arm is simply not on the level of the other 3 top guys.  So if I were advising him I wouldn't want him on the same field as those guys either.  Especially when he's carrying some extra weight to fake the weigh in at over 200 lbs. LOL

I'd never advise my client to hide.

Go to the Combine and do every drill asked. Get it all on record then tell them to watch the tape.

28 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'd never advise my client to hide.

Go to the Combine and do every drill asked. Get it all on record then tell them to watch the tape.

Would love to know how fast he can throw.  Stroud, Richardson, and Levis all threw around 60 mph.  I hope the Panthers test this when they have personal workouts

19 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

From a few days ago but this is the first time I’m seeing this quote 

I found the wording really interesting “…Stroud leaves more to be desired from those evaluating him from afar...”. What does people say that have seen him close up with his teammates? 

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Martin said:

I found the wording really interesting “…Stroud leaves more to be desired from those evaluating him from afar...”. What does people say that have seen him close up with his teammates? 

There are plenty of articles where his teammates praise his leadership.  He is a "lead by example" type dude.  First one in, last one out player.  So yeah that wording is a bit clunky

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

There are plenty of articles where his teammates praise his leadership.  He is a "lead by example" type dude.  First one in, last one out player.  So yeah that wording is a bit clunky

Makes sense, he doesn’t strike me as a rah rah type of guy. And that is totally fine by me, there are so many ways to lead.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

Makes sense, he doesn’t strike me as a rah rah type of guy. And that is totally fine by me, there are so many ways to lead.

I mean there are just tons and tons of articles where the coaches and players go head over heels praising his leadership style so that is one odd tweet.

https://nflmocks.com/2023/02/14/cj-stroud-2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Strengths

•Experience/Leadership – Stroud is known as a passionate leader in the locker room. Although soft-spoken in interviews, the team feeds off of his play. Serving as the full-time starter in 2021 and 2022 gives Stroud plenty of experience and high-caliber tape for NFL teams to salivate over.

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Would love to know how fast he can throw.  Stroud, Richardson, and Levis all threw around 60 mph.  I hope the Panthers test this when they have personal workouts

That metric weirdly doesn't seem to translate to arm strength - but either way the Panthers have already said they won't be doing drills with the prospects when they visit Charlotte. 

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You can see they respect him on that 'behind the scenes' Pro Day video Ohio St released. A quiet leader, but one nethertheless. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

You can see they respect him on that 'behind the scenes' Pro Day video Ohio St released. A quiet leader, but one nethertheless. 

He vocal in the locker room, a super religious guy, incredibly involved in the community and out spoken on some social issues.   I think I know how this plays out.

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

From a few days ago but this is the first time I’m seeing this quote 

I've seen similar statements before.

There's word of him having an aloof personality that sometimes turns teammates off.

Don't know how valid it is but it's been talked about.