• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

I think its weird people who are set on stroud say you can coach stroud to do what young does but you cant coach young to be bigger.  The second part is definitely true, but the first part definitely isnt nesscesarily.   You cant nesscesarily coach lightning quick processing and playmaking when a play breaks down.  A lot of that is natural talent in the same way height is.

• Pie 6

5 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

Has there ever been a QB prospect that struggled with pressure in college but didn’t when they played in the NFL?

Honest question because I feel like that would be a very tough area to improve in

Justin Herbert

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

I agree. It's the only reason why I want us to draft CJ over him. Bryce is the better QB right now but I have serious concerns about his ability to stay on the field longterm in the NFL. That's not to question his toughness either. It's just every week there will be someone bigger and better than Jalen Carter trying to murder you

Same .. I just don't see why we would take that chance. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

mentally handling pressure in college is a lot different than NFL. Stroud can stand in the pocket and flick the ball while getting hit, Young is going to have to scramble more often just to get a chance to throw the ball to someone. I'm assuming that would cut the playbook in half, maybe the talent is worth that sacrifice

Excellent point. Ex-Falcon GM Thomas Dmitroff was on Rich Eisen last week, mentioned the offense would be different depending on who we draft. This is a massively important point. 

3 hours ago, Udogg said:

Same .. I just don't see why we would take that chance. 

I think to further solidify my point is to consider is Kylar Murray and how thus far his career has been hamstrung by injuries

image.thumb.png.868805a8c967239aa4f5a7b051d89ca0.png

Look at this photo. Kyler's listed weight is 207, Bryce looks like he's probably 20 lbs under him. If Kyler can't stay on the field why would Bryce be able to outside of amazing luck

Edited by SOJA

22 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I think to further solidify my point is to consider is Kylar Murray and how thus far his career has been hamstrung by injuries

Look at this photo. Kyler's listed weight is 207, Bryce looks like he's probably 20 lbs under him. If Kyler can't stay on the field why would Bryce be able to outside of amazing luck

Someone's proneness to being injured isn't necessarily correlated to their weight, or in this case their vulnerability to being injured because of their low weight. Russell Wilson is very rarely injured and he's the same weight as Murray.

Edited by Billy Goat
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Billy Goat said:

Someone's proneness to being injured isn't necessarily correlated to their weight, or in this case their vulnerability to being injured because of their low weight. Russell Wilson is very rarely injured and he's the same weight as Murray.

Neither was Drew Brees. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, SOJA said:

Kylers injuries have generally been non contact hamstring and acl injuries. He did miss 3 games due to an ankle sprain once but other than that he generally injured himself running around not getting hit.

Also that picture was when Kyler had been in the NFL 3 seasons and Bryce was a sophomore in college, Kyler has put on some serious weight since he was at the combine if you compare pictures.

Other question why does CJ at 213 become significantly safer than Kyler at 207? Where is the Magical number on the scale where injury is not a concern?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Brees was rarely injured because of his play style. He always had a great OL and got the ball out quick. His game is actually much similar to Stroud’s.

Peyton was similar with getting the ball out and ended up with significant injuries, it’s just a crapshoot at times.

Brees also had a really good pocket presence that helped keep him alive not taking the big hits.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Peyton was similar with getting the ball out and ended up with significant injuries, it’s just a crapshoot at times.

Brees also had a really good pocket presence that helped keep him alive not taking the big hits.

Peyton played until he was like 38 which at the time was pretty good. He hurt his neck, but the reason he retired was his arm declined quite a bit that last year. If we are getting a Peyton Manning career I’d take it in a heartbeat. Brady is s great pocket passer as well but he sold his soul to the devil so he doesn’t count.

It’s interesting because Stroud said he learned to play when he was little by watching Drew Brees. 

• Pie 1