• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

I don't remember which poster said it but they mentioned that it would be a bit gutless move to take the lesser prospect because your concerned that the better prospect might get injured. 

This is like the fourth or fifth statement about Bryce Young's tape making it difficult to pass on him at 1. 

I've tried to buy into Stroud being the better prospect by watching 5 of his games. He's a good QB and would have definitely been a top 5 pick even last year. He just isn't a better QB than Bryce. He is slightly more accurate with a stronger arm. Outside of that, Bryce is a better playmaker, has stronger instincts, and commander of an offense. 

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Why? Reich has made very, very poor qb decisions in the past. Rhule’s GM has zero clue and zero experience drafting a QB…

Thomas and Caldwell are legit. McCown just might be the best qualified that we have, not sure why our fans don’t see that.

Just simply look at evidence. Let’s stop BSing already and keep it real. Everyone on this coaching staff has strengths, let’s not pretend they can do everything just because they’re on our favorite team.

Reich was never the GM. Even I, who was skeptical or at least underwhelmed by the Reich hire, can't totally blame him for the QBs that he has had to deal with. He was just as much a QB in this league as McCown. I'm not giving McCown kudos for knowing more than Reich about QB decisions.

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Has there ever been a QB prospect that struggled with pressure in college but didn’t when they played in the NFL?

Honest question because I feel like that would be a very tough area to improve in

Stroud “struggled” with pressure earlier in the season. His rating under pressure still isn’t terrible it’s just a good bit lower than his highest in the NCAA rating when he has a pocket. In fact his overall rating was the highest in the NCAA even including the under pressure rating. Later in the season when he actually got accustomed to having some pressure he did much better, just check out the UGA game. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, Jaxel said:

Bryce is just so good that I think you have to take a chance. He is the real calculated risk of this draft not Richardson. Super bowl winning QB is he stays healthy.

I think that's fair as long as you're ok with you and everybody in your extended family never getting a job in the Carolinas ever again if it doesn't work out.

Edited by OldhamA

i'm starting to warm up a lot to Young tbh.

i still don't like that he has tried to hide his weight during this process, but whatever. if he gets hurt he gets hurt, my knees already hurt getting up off the toilet, he has to catch up to the rest of us some day anyway.

51 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I really worry about Stroud’s ability to handle pressure 

Bryce has proven he can handle it

Technically Young has proven he can scramble around in College to buy time to make things happen.

Manziel did a similar thing.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

49 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

McCown seems the be the only one on staff really high on CJ.

Fitterer & Thomas seem to be in on Bryce.

Not sure where Reich or Caldwell lean yet.

To me that's advantage Bryce.

I mean this is weird guess work from you, but you're also missing out one of the most important voices in the building - Dan Morgan. 

Just now, OldhamA said:

Technically Young has proven he can scramble around in College to buy time to make things happen.

nah he actually was better from the pocket under pressure, not just at scrambling. he would stand "tall" and take hits while he delivered strikes.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm trying to be cordial but you quoted me. And the other day you pulled our prior disagreement into a whole new thread you created. I'm not trying to change your mind generally no one here has been able to do that on most topics. But we still talk about this sports team to pass the time. That's all this is. I'll give Reich and company the benefit of the doubt and accept whichever QB our staff believes will be the guy to lead this franchise the next ten years or more. I hope their selection pays off.

Cordial? OK.

I didn't pull any "disagreement" into a thread, unless you're disagreeing with the fact that I think that both Young and Stroud could be nice choices for different reasons. That's not really a disagreement, it was you intimating what I believe when I know what I believe. That thread let everyone know what I believe and why from the perspective of a Bulldog fan, not from a perspective of any direct disagreement with you. 

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Manziel never had the pocket awareness, arm ability, touch, go through progressions, etc.

he scrambled around and threw up balls to Mike Evans.

Comaparing Manziel to Bryce is like Comparing Jameis Winston to Stroud.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 4

Just now, OldhamA said:

So did Baker. He ran around extending plays but definitely struggled doing so at the next level. In fact as we all know teams want to keep him in the pocket and take away his throwing lanes. Undersized, heisman winning, top pick, but has struggled playing his game at the next level.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

49 minutes ago, Growl said:

But they are getting drafted which is extremely, extremely difficult.

i get what he saying, Stroud obviously played with 5 of the best receivers in the country the past two seasons, but Bryce is still throwing to nfl players.

I mean technically you could also argue that yes, Stroud threw to two 'top 11' WRs in 2021, but his stats didn't fall off very much in 2022 when they left. 

It wasn't a case of Clausen at Notre Dame being carried by Golden Tate and Michael Floyd (and Kyle Rudolph). 

And yes, I know he's still throwing to a talented cast. 

59 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I get the feeling Bryce has 4 and a half weeks to change the minds of the Panthers brass. If the draft was this Thursday we would take Stroud 

I'd say it's the other way around.

The staff is either comfortable enough with his size (not height, but overall frame) or they're not.

Stroud has until the draft to convince them he's good enough to not take the risk on Young's size.  I don't think there is anything more Young can do to convince them as the choice of taking or passing on him will always come down to risk willingness.

As many including myself have said, Young's size is a deciding factor in the end because of how close they are as prospects aside from their size and that if the gap between them was larger, then you take the chance on Young's size.  So it's more about Stroud proving he really is at least equal to Young as a prospect to make taking him the right choice, which I think it is.

• Pie 5