• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember life without social media?

CamWhoaaCam

Im just old enough to remember the times when having a cell phone was rare. My parents didn't have a GPS when we traveled and would read the signs on the road to get directions. We would get lost so many times but that didn't stop them from getting to our destination. Life seemed more fun and peaceful back then. We didn't know what was going on around the world. The times we spent as a family meant much more because we weren't all in our cellphones using social media apps. 

Now the world revolves around social media. Everybody looking for likes and trying to become famous on tik tok. Life just isn't the same. Social media changed the world for the worst. Humans can't function without a cell phone now. 30 years ago we were all living life without social media. Crazy how much life has changed. I honestly missed life before social media. Seemed a lot more stress free and people had more love for each other.

Oldheads talk to me which life did you prefer new age or old age?

it's the same thing people said when TV took over.

that is just how the world / life works is what I realized.

I definitely miss the nostalgia of there not being social media, but I also remember the boom of it taking off and it's interesting to see how things change. it'll only get weirdo.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, GOAT said:

it's the same thing people said when TV took over.

that is just how the world / life works is what I realized.

I definitely miss the nostalgia of there not being social media, but I also remember the boom of it taking off and it's interesting to see how things change. it'll only get weirdo.

Yeah I can't wait for the flying cars thing to be normalized in society. Hopefully im around long enough to experience that.lol

I'm old enough to remember the transition from black & white to color TV; the move from AM to FM radio; and the idea that we went to our friends house and talked on a wall-mounted telephone.

This message board and another Jeep owner board are the 2 closest things to social media I'm part of. Despite that, my life is still effected on a daily basis by social media. For example, during last night's Hurricanes game, there was an offer to win a free bobblehead, but the only way to enter the contest was on Twitter. Not that I would have entered, but you get it.

Also, more small businesses are foregoing a website in favor of using Facebook, and I have probably passed on supporting those small businesses because I can't find any info without FB.

Just having a smartphone can be a pain in the ass. If I don't answer a call or text immediately because I left my phone laying somewhere while I was in my shop or working in the yard, you'd think I'd committed a felony. 

I think what really scares me is how many people actually consider FB, Twitter, and other social media as a legitimate news source. Just yesterday, I was having a casual conversation with someone older than I and we were discussing a vacation rental I use in Nags Head and the gas range it has. He then proceeded to lecture me on how the government is going to ban gas ranges. I listened, while in the back of my mind I'm saying to myself, "Where the fug did you read that and how do you actually think that's going to happen? Is the ATF or some other government law enforcement agency showing up at my front door with tools to remove my gas range? What about my fireplace? What happens to the 250g tank in my backyard?"

At 57 I remember a most of these changes.  I remember a world where we didnt have 24/7 cartoons and where there were just 3 channels on TV (unless you had an antenna and the patience to find the UHF stations).  When American Bandstand came on on Saturday morning it was time to go outside and if you were not lucky enough to have an Atari 2600 or a Colecovision the only video games you played were at the local pizza restaurant. 

Social Media isnt that different from the usenet forums of the early days of the internet.  Its just a lower bar to access.  Back then only tech savvy nerds were arguing over the random bullshit.  Now every boomer and zoomer can get their voice heard.  I saw a version of this way back in the early 90s

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/325/699/4fc.jpg

As to the topic of this thread.  Yes it was better before the explosion of Social Media.