• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan orlovsky on AR post pro day

raleigh-panther

8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Oh awesome, I look forward to also picking at #9 this year.

I'm old. Math seems different now than it did when I went to school. I will try and explain with an example made for this draft pick math.

Teachers never used number one picks for problems, so I will use apples. The Green apple is the 1st pick. The red apple represents picks elsewhere in the 1st round. 

Here we go:

Johnny has two red apples, but his girlfriend Slutty Sally likes green apples better and Johnny is scared she'll cheat with Jimmy because guess why. 

Jimmy has a green apple but no girlfriend and thinks two red apples is better than one green one. So Johnny and Jimmy decide to trade. Johnny gives Jimmy both of his Red apples, and Jimmy gives his Green apple in return. Deal.

How many red apples did the green apple cost? Hint... it is not one. He had two. If he had only given one, he would still have two. One green, one red. Still don't get it?

This new math allows 2 to identify as 1? Is that it? 

• Poo 1

20 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I promise this isn’t me lol, but this is close to what I was saying. 

To directly quote him "I came really close to another team. Just from relationships, where they sit as a football team and the city that they're in, what I think they're going to do at QB and all that". Nobody knows what those conversations were about. We hadn't even traded up at that point. For all we know the "plan in place" at that time was signing Derek Carr.

Edited by Billy Goat
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

It's funny to see people trash Bryce Young because he's the smallest qb prospect in years but prop up AR who is the least accurate passer in years.  Both are pretty big gambles. I'll take the guy who is a great passer over the guy who is a great athlete. 

What I hate is the “most talented” and “highest ceiling” as if stronger arm is a talent but accuracy or timing or ball placement or whatever you want to call is isn’t a QB talent. That mental and physical ability to throw a proper/accurate pass is a talent IMHO.

I personally don’t think AR has the highest ceiling because of accuracy issues. The pass he back flipped on is only completed if his WR is wide open and his OL gave him enough time. PJ Walker has a strong arm and he had a highlight throw to DJ that Mahomes said was the best pass of the year. PJ is a terrible NFL QB.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Billy Goat said:

To directly quote him "what I think they're going to do at QB". Nobody knows what those conversations were about. We hadn't even traded up at that point. For all we know the "plan in place" at that time was signing Derek Carr.

I honestly don't think Carr was ever high on the priority list. It was more one of those things that if the market for him had turned out way softer than he and most others thought it would be then maybe we'd revisit that possibility. With the staff we've assembled it looks like plan A was always the draft. This is the type of offensive coaching staff you build when your primary plan is to draft and develop a rookie QB.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are definite signs that Orlovsky is full of sh-t.

For one, at the time frame he was talking about there wouldn't have been much of a plan in place because the coaching staff was still coming together.

I do think it's likely that we talk to him about a role on the staff, but I'm not sure it was as "high up" as he's indicated.

That may have been why he's supposedly declined...if he really did.

I mean at the time the plan was probably very vague like "explore all options" so who knows? 

3 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

It's funny to see people trash Bryce Young because he's the smallest qb prospect in years but prop up AR who is the least accurate passer in years.  Both are pretty big gambles. I'll take the guy who is a great passer over the guy who is a great athlete. 

Is anyone really "trashing" Young?

Probably the best point that I've seen regarding Richardson...

From the article:

All of Richardson’s elite physical gifts were on display during his pro day workout, just like they were last month, when his performance at the combine in Indianapolis made many wonder whether he might become the No. 1 pick in the draft. But Richardson still likely won’t go first, because he doesn’t have a safe floor and needs time (which is not an option for the Panthers, Texans or Colts, the three quarterback-needy teams slated to pick ahead of the Seahawks and Lions) to work on his fundamentals.

His best path is definitely to go to a team that has an established quarterback in place and can give him time to develop.

We are not that team.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Probably the best point that I've seen regarding Richardson...

From the article:

All of Richardson’s elite physical gifts were on display during his pro day workout, just like they were last month, when his performance at the combine in Indianapolis made many wonder whether he might become the No. 1 pick in the draft. But Richardson still likely won’t go first, because he doesn’t have a safe floor and needs time (which is not an option for the Panthers, Texans or Colts, the three quarterback-needy teams slated to pick ahead of the Seahawks and Lions) to work on his fundamentals.

His best path is definitely to go to a team that has an established quarterback in place and can give him time to develop.

We are not that team.

Not saying this is a good idea but Dalton is a very capable bridge guy

13 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Dalton signed with the Bears expecting to be the starter as they didn't have a high pick, they then traded up for Fields and still started Dalton the first few weeks until he got hurt.  Dalton has also said he knows he's here to be a backup and mentor, he knows he's not starting week 1.

Jimmy G wasn't brought in to be Lance's mentor, they drafted Lance with the intention of letting Jimmy play out that first year and let Lance learn to take over in year 2, which they did until he got hurt.

Cam was always going to be the starter from day 1 and was MILES ahead of AR in his readiness, so the backup needed to be a seasoned vet who would be ready to step in if Cam got hurt, and help him behind the scenes, not on the field as much.

If the plan was AR, you sign one of the better QBs and more mobile than Dalton, like a Brissett, Two Gloves or even Heinicke, because you'd be starting them probably this whole season but can still run the style offense that you're likely going to try and build around AR.  Having AR spend his rookie year learning and practicing an offense built for Andy Dalton would be a waste of a season, you want him learning the system he'll play with from day 1.

My point still stands. Not all backup QB's are a fit with the starting QB. You can still have a running QB with a pocket QB as a backup. This has happened throughout history.

Everything you need to know about Anthony Richardson can be heard from Florida fans who do not love this guy.  He may be great in practice or underwear Olympics but he  doesn't know how to play the QB position when live bullets start flying.  If he struggled in college, what makes you think he can do it in the NFL. 

Maybe he can, but will take time AND the changes are not in his favor.  

26 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

My point still stands. Not all backup QB's are a fit with the starting QB. You can still have a running QB with a pocket QB as a backup. This has happened throughout history.

And my point still stands that Dalton has openly said he's here to backup and support the rookie QB.

That alone says the plan is already to start the rookie week 1, which in itself says AR isn't a realistic option, as he's not starting for anyone in week 1 unless the planned starter gets hurt in camp.

Not hard to figure out.

2 hours ago, stratocatter said:

I'm old. Math seems different now than it did when I went to school. I will try and explain with an example made for this draft pick math.

Teachers never used number one picks for problems, so I will use apples. The Green apple is the 1st pick. The red apple represents picks elsewhere in the 1st round. 

Here we go:

Johnny has two red apples, but his girlfriend Slutty Sally likes green apples better and Johnny is scared she'll cheat with Jimmy because guess why. 

Jimmy has a green apple but no girlfriend and thinks two red apples is better than one green one. So Johnny and Jimmy decide to trade. Johnny gives Jimmy both of his Red apples, and Jimmy gives his Green apple in return. Deal.

How many red apples did the green apple cost? Hint... it is not one. He had two. If he had only given one, he would still have two. One green, one red. Still don't get it?

This new math allows 2 to identify as 1? Is that it? 

Election 2020 Lol GIF by Joe Biden

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

And my point still stands that Dalton has openly said he's here to backup and support the rookie QB.

That alone says the plan is already to start the rookie week 1, which in itself says AR isn't a realistic option, as he's not starting for anyone in week 1 unless the planned starter gets hurt in camp.

Not hard to figure out.

Then we can agree to disagree because I think AR starts day 1.

We don't have a bad roster no need for him to sit. The guy is a grown man and physical freak. Put him out there and let him learn from day 1. The days of #1 pick QB's sitting are over.

You don't same to understand the value of being a #1 pick. You don't draft a player #1 and sit him for a few years especially when our backup is no threat himself.