• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Behind the scenes in the front office

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

I don’t bet. How does a -150 work? Why would you bet 150 to win 100? It’s a guaranteed loss of 50. Obviously I’m missing something here.

You don’t have to pay 150$ unless you lose.  If you take the bet you either win $100 or lose $150.  

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

I don’t bet. How does a -150 work? Why would you bet 150 to win 100? It’s a guaranteed loss of 50. Obviously I’m missing something here.

I do not either---I THINK it is based on a bet of 100 dollars.  If the odds were -150, if you bet $100, you would win $66.67 and get your $100 back.  If the bet was +150, you would win $150 + your initial $100 investment ($250).

This is a great site to teach the concept.  It is how I understand it:

https://www.oddsshark.com/tools/odds-calculator

27 minutes ago, Martin said:

If using the information from the chart I gave you, it basically states the following:

CJ Stroud (-140) being drafted first overall--the implied odds give him a 58.33% chance

Bryce Young (+110) being drafted first overall--the implied odds give him a 47.62% chance

Just a few weeks ago, Fan Duel had Stroud's implied odds at 73.97% and Young's implied odds at 32.26%

Edited by MHS831

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If using the information from the chart I gave you, it basically states the following:

CJ Stroud (-140) being drafted first overall--the implied odds give him a 58.33% chance

Bryce Young (+110) being drafted first overall--the implied odds give him a 47.62% chance

I dont gamble but do we know how vegas weighs this? 

2 hours ago, Martin said:

So yeah 

-150 means you have to bet $150 to win $100. So you put down $150 and your return would be $250 on a winning bet

+150 means if you bet $100 you win $150. So if you put down $100 your return is $250 on a winning bet

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I really do not know--I just repeated about 10 minutes worth of googling like a parrot.  I think I understand it on the surface..

Those Vegas odd are a lot closer now and I think the secret is out. I expect Young to be -120 to -130 by weeks end. 

On another note I grabbed Will Anderson at +2200 to go 2nd overall. He’s now +450. Unless someone trades up I really do think Houston goes Anderson

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

So yeah 

-150 means you have to bet $150 to win $100. So you put down $150 and your return would be $250 on a winning bet

+150 means if you bet $100 you win $150. So if you put down $100 your return is $250 on a winning bet

Those Vegas odd are a lot closer now and I think the secret is out. I expect Young to be -120 to -130 by weeks end. 

On another note I grabbed Will Anderson at +2200 to go 2nd overall. He’s now +450. Unless someone trades up I really do think Houston goes Anderson

Yes, if Carolina takes Bryce I can see Houston take Anderson.

interesting how they seem very low on CJ as a fanbase as well.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

So yeah 

Thank you. It is such a weird logic for me. Back in the day when betting on stuff the odds were a simple multiplier. E.g. if the odds were 2.5 you got you betting amount x 2.5.  So $100 turned in to $250. Sooooooo much easier in my mind. But I also use the metric system…

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

So yeah 

Houston has 12 draft picks in this draft and 10 next year, including 2 first rounders.  While they have many needs, it is possible that they could take Anderson and then trade up with Arizona and still get them both.