• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The smallest in the history of the modern nfl.   Just let that sink in.  In an era where we have animals like suh, vea, watt and bosa trying to kill you are we really going to draft the smallest guy ever to play the most important position in all of sports?   I’m not seeing it especially considering he doesn’t run and he isn’t overly athletic.   Recipe for disaster 

But he does run. That's part of my concern. A big part of his game is scrambling around buying time and getting himself into throwing lanes. That tends to lead to more hits. He's similar to Mahomes in that regard. He rarely runs for rushing yardage but he does plenty of scrambling around behind the LOS.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But he does run. That's part of my concern. A big part of his game is scrambling around buying time and getting himself into throwing lanes. That tends to lead to more hits. He's similar to Mahomes in that regard. He rarely runs for rushing yardage but he does plenty of scrambling around behind the LOS.

He's not running into bigger hits on tape though, he runs around but generally its got players chasing him off balance and his sacks arent incredibly vicious. The hardest hits he takes are when he stands in the pocket and delivers a pass, which generally in the history of the NFL is where QBs get hurt at a far greater %.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah it’s tough. Do you let him keep scrambling and increase his risk of injury or do you limit that and take away a big part of what makes him special?

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, stan786 said:

He's not running into bigger hits on tape though, he runs around but generally its got players chasing him off balance and his sacks arent incredibly vicious. The hardest hits he takes are when he stands in the pocket and delivers a pass, which generally in the history of the NFL is where QBs get hurt at a far greater %.

Big difference between college and the NFL. I know it triggers the SEC fanboys but it's true.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah it’s tough. Do you let him keep scrambling and increase his risk of injury or do you limit that and take away a big part of what makes him special?

I don't think you draft players to try to fundamentally change who they are. Clean up technical flaws and develop them? Sure. But I don't think you draft them to try to stylistically change them.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Like I said a recipe for disaster.   Nfl guys are way faster and if they know he isn’t running for yardage is going to get ugly very quick.  

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

12 minutes ago, stan786 said:

The reality is he's an injury risk yes, but the reality isnt that Stroud is safe from any injury risk because he has 20 lbs on him. The argument is that the masses are using assumptions that havent proven out one way or another to greatly increase Young's injury risk while at the same time ignoring/diminishing CJs.

End of the day neither are safe from the physics of the NFL, the goal for all should be diminishing hits. The Bryce crowd think he does a good job of avoiding the hits that would body bag them and that helps decrease that probability a bit closing the gap on how important it should be to the evaluation. The Stroud crowd clearly thinks he puts himself in more danger and Stroud gets the ball off fast enough to avoid them.

This argument just devolves into the same Stroud vs Young argument with just more hyperbole.

The argument isn't that any other QB won't get hurt it's looking at the risk level. I can't speak for everyone else but for me if it boils down to high risk I'd rather bank on our staff with decades of wisdom developing Anthony Richardson.

• Poo 1

Kyler who is taller and bigger than Bryce, missed 9 out of 34 games or 26% in last 2 season due to hits he took and is expected to miss beginning of 2023 season.  Kyler also has faster release and bigger arm.

IMG_4916.thumb.jpeg.886f376a24f86b346722c0f9491b596e.jpeg

Edited by Lame Duck

1 minute ago, frankw said:

The argument isn't that any other QB won't get hurt it's looking at the risk level. I can't speak for everyone else but for me if it boils down to high risk I'd rather bank on our staff with decades of wisdom developing Anthony Richardson.

Yeah i'm just saying there is a lot of words and data in here when the argument always just devolves to, "are you ok with what your perceived increase in injury risk between a 190-200 lb player and a 210-220 lb player" and everyone is just working off their assumptions that really are based on a decent amount of what we think of the guys as prospects as well.

At least we'll be on the same side when its Richardson lmao.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Lame Duck said:

Kyler who is taller and bigger than Bryce, missed 9 out of 34 games or 26% in last 2 season due to hits he took and is expected to miss beginning of 2023 season.  Kyler also has faster release and bigger arm.

IMG_4916.thumb.jpeg.886f376a24f86b346722c0f9491b596e.jpeg

Only contact injury Kyler got hurt on was an ankle sprain he missed 2 games with. Everything else was non contact hamstring and knee injuries.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Yeah i'm just saying there is a lot of words and data in here when the argument always just devolves to, "are you ok with what your perceived increase in injury risk between a 190-200 lb player and a 210-220 lb player" and everyone is just working off their assumptions that really are based on a decent amount of what we think of the guys as prospects as well.

At least we'll be on the same side when its Richardson lmao.

I hear you the best we can do is look at data and the past and compare and contrast. Honestly though I think BY is 190ish at best that's just my opinion.

But yes I will be relieved when we can get this over with and all rally behind our QB whoever he will be. And yes even if it's Young I will hope for the best.

• Beer 1

All I'm saying is that if you had to put money down on who gets up off the turf after an identical hit a 185 pound dude or a 240 pound dude who are you betting on?

Now maybe Young is just better at avoiding big hits and/or maybe he's just blessed with genetics that make him naturally more durable. I don't know. 

It reminds me of all the folks who point to studies that show that punches with boxing gloves deliver just as much energy to the target as punches with smaller, far less padded MMA gloves. But I guarantee that if you took those same science nerds who did those studies and stand by their results and instead put it to them this way: "I'm gonna put on one of these two gloves and punch you in the face as hard as I can. Pick one." Every single one of them would reluctantly reach for that heavily padded boxing glove. 😂