• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

If you're clinging to Wilson/Murray as your best comp it isn't going well.

One has battled multiple injuries and the other just had one of the worst seasons for any QB and hasn't done anything of note since the Legion of Boom went bust.

McCaffrey? 😂😂😂

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

54 minutes ago, rayzor said:

And every player is going to get hurt at some point.....every player is always at risk of a season or career ending injury at some point either by contact or a non-contact injury and there is absolutely no way to predict who it is or when it is. 

So draft nobody.

That needs to talked about with young, it takes an all-out effort and full body mechanics for his to make the NFL throws. What happens when he loses some of it??

Just like when a 4.2 gets a injury or ages, well hes still a 4.5 guy and thats still fast enough. A high school frame that gets a lifting injury, can they afford to lose % of their strength??

Id much prefer the player that doesnt have the slimmest margin of error.....I believe the staff knows this...

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, Ivory Panther said:

In 2021 he was playing within the pocket a lot more because of his weapons.

in 2022 Bryce scrambled more out of necessity due to less weapons than 2021.

A bit like CJ scrambled more vs UGA?because he played a better defense than he faced his whole career…

I think many ppl only watched 2022 & made up their minds that he is not a pocket passer. He does both! 

2021 - 81 rushes for Young

2022 - 49 rushes for Young

Looks like he scrambled more in 2021.  He also has plays where he had 10+ seconds before having to throw this year:

Edited by Varking

19 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Luckily scrambling means more than just rushing the ball for a QB. 

Yeah but when you don’t have any numbers to back what you’re saying it makes it hard to trust what you are saying. Is there some metric or is it just your eye test and memory that determined he ran around a ton more this year vs last year?

16 minutes ago, Varking said:

Yeah but when you don’t have any numbers to back what you’re saying it makes it hard to trust what you are saying. Is there some metric or is it just your eye test and memory that determined he ran around a ton more this year vs last year?

Just eye test & I understand ur point around data rather than eye test. 

• Poo 2

50 minutes ago, Varking said:

I was curious, I do think his line was better in 21, but I wasnt sure if he really didnt run more, or what the deal was. So I looked at PFF premium data, with rushes being designed rushes, sacks being sacks (Counted as rushes in college), and scrambles which they define as non designed rushes. Data really could support either argument, he had more scrambles per game in 2022 than 2021 which indicates he was running around more, but he had more sacks + scrambles per game in 2021 which feels like it could indicated oline play more maybe? I wish they had more in depth stuff on this.

Year Games Rushes Sacks Per Game Sack Scrambles Per Game Scramble Sacks + Scrambles Sacks + Scrambles per game
21 15 11 35 2.33 34 2.27 69 4.6
22 11.5 4 18 1.57 30 2.61 48 4.17

Edited by stan786
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

I was curious, I do think his line was better in 21, but I wasnt sure if he really didnt run more, or what the deal was. So I looked at PFF premium data, with rushes being designed rushes, sacks being sacks (Counted as rushes in college), and scrambles which they define as non designed rushes. Data really could support either argument, he had more scrambles per game in 2022 than 2021 which indicates he was running around more, but he had more sacks + scrambles per game in 2021 which feels like it could indicated oline play more maybe? I wish they had more in depth stuff on this.

Year Games Rushes Per Game Rush Sacks Per Game Sack Scrambles Per Game Scramble Total Rushes Sacks + Scrambles Sacks + Scrambles Per Game
21 15 11 0.73 35 2.33 34 2.27 80 69 4.6
22 11.5 4 0.35 18 1.57 30 2.61 52 48 4.17

Yeah I don’t really know who to go to for stats like these 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

Yeah I don’t really know who to go to for stats like these 

I'm shocked how hard it is to find simple things like how often a team lined up in shotgun. Would be much easier to quantify a lot of these arguments lmao.

3 hours ago, Varking said:

2021 - 81 rushes for Young

2022 - 49 rushes for Young

Looks like he scrambled more in 2021.  He also has plays where he had 10+ seconds before having to throw this year:

i hate that i open his highlights and see a bunch of plays like this that would have been easy sacks in the NFL. all the analysts say he's the best passer with the best processing but why don't people ever show that instead of this Blaine Gabbert poo

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

So can someone share with me some  examples of QB's who got hurt and missed playing time and can definitely say, it was because of his size.  Someone big hit him.  The hit did damage that would not have been done on a larger player.

Edited by poundaway

Ideally, I'd love a mobile version of Peyton Manning.  That what I want for our team. 

Guess what? That doesn't exist in this draft.   

I've been watching football long enough to know there isn't any correlation between size of QB and his ability to have a long, successful career. There are less small guys in the history of the NFL, but that is to be a given. 

How smart does the QB play? How well protected is he?  Do refs allow players to tee off on smaller guys like they allowed for Cam?

Taking size out of the equation,  Young is the best QB in this draft.

If Frank is concerned about Young's size, then we will see it on draft day. 

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 2