• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which QB Best Fits Reichs RPO Style Offense?

chknwing

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I don't think he has the brain for it but someone might be desperate enough to trade something for a project due to injury

Some QB's you can just look at and see they aren't NFL level talent.

Im getting Jimmy Clausen vibes with Corral.

13 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

At least for now he'll have the benefit of possibly the best QB coaching staff ever assembled for a few months of his life so hopefully it'll help him out down the road

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think Cam maybe muddied the waters for some casual football fans. The QB isn't the running option in the RPO! The RB is the running option because the O-line is run blocking! No one knows what the QB is going to decide, they just do their jobs which is why it throws defenses off. 

The verbiage is similar to “Read Option “ and they both kind of became popular phrases for media talking heads around the same time. Also, to your point, we sort of blended the two with Cam. 

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

The verbiage is similar to “Read Option “ and they both kind of became popular phrases for media talking heads around the same time. Also, to your point, we sort of blended the two with Cam. 

Cam sort of allowed us to run a triple threat option rather than a true RPO. 

That being said, I still think that over the long run the QB with better processing ability will beat out the more gifted athlete. So many times the athletic mobile QB creates a game of one vs. 11, rather than 11 vs 11.

• Beer 2

8 hours ago, KillerKat said:

It only makes sense to just keep 2 QBs on the roster after we select one overall. If you get down to your 3rd, then its over anyway.

I think they’ll keep 3. Hopefully the 3rd is Corral, not Eason. Keep Corral and develop him, showcase him next preseason, and hopefully get something in return in a trade.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I think they’ll keep 3. Hopefully the 3rd is Corral, not Eason. Keep Corral and develop him, showcase him next preseason, and hopefully get something in return in a trade.

It's the most important position in all of sports - I've no idea why every team doesn't keep 3 on the roster at all times. You should always be developing someone. 

If you are running / going to run a heavy RPO offense, you don't get rid of Matt Corral.  He was really good at that in college.  That said, I'm not sure that's really Reich's system to date.  He likes the play action.  Maybe the influence of Thomas Brown will send us down a different path.

In any event, ideally, if Corral isn't the guy we want, our best outcome is to showcase him and get something back.  Even a fourth is better than nothing.

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I don't think there's any vibes to get yet. He was only getting 2 or 3 snaps in practice last year and Rhule was focusing on him getting those high quality mental reps instead. He may end up being Pickles 2.0. It's just way too soon to tell without letting him get some practice. 

8 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Or find out he's a good backup