• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steven Smith Sr first round QB breakdown

PanthersGTI

4 hours ago, PanthersGTI said:

Yeah lots of great stuff in this episode. Perception vs reality, Jalen Carter stuff. 

Feeling more and more confident that Young is the pick. The praise here was high. 

Not sure I can agree that Bryce Young will be the Panthers  choice.

C.J. Stroud has more size and arm strength than Young but obviously he's not a good  an athlete as Young but  is more of a prototypical pocket passer.

While not an easy decision, the choice is either the athlete or the arm. and I cannot help but feel the Panthers will go with Stroud and his superior arm.

49 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

C.J. Stroud has more size and arm strength than Young but obviously he's not a good  an athlete as Young but  is more of a prototypical pocket passer.

While not an easy decision, the choice is either the athlete or the arm. and I cannot help but feel the Panthers will go with Stroud and his superior arm.

I agree that nothing is for sure. Just in the context of what Steve Smith is saying he is hearing it sounds like arm or not Young is going to run an offense better, especially when things aren't always clicking. 

He said stuff about Stroud, that could be good too but people don’t listen to that. It remains to be seen if one or both or neither will succeed. 

The stuff about Stroud having his platform mechanically integrated with his eyes was interesting. Whether that is an efficiency advantage  depends on his processing being correct. Which I don’t believe Smitty dogged.

I think he said Young was excellent but that didn’t mean Stroud was bad.  Paraphrasing from memory. 

Take the snap, take a couple of seconds to assess, and the ball comes out quickly and accurately. With touch when required. 

That sounds a lot better than Bryce Young to me.

So, it becomes can he really do that? That is what you will bet. Yes or no. Young should be a fallback, honestly. 

[comparing them as an i5 chip (Stroud) vs an M2 chip is a definite exaggeration for my money]

Edited by stratocatter

1 hour ago, KatsAzz said:

The choice is between someone with Elite processing speed and football IQ but with durability concerns or someone with Dak Prescott football IQ and processing but better accuracy.

Bryce is a small Mahomes.

CJ is an accurate Dak.

• Pie 1

"So let's get into it. Bryce I love Bryce... has a strong arm pure placement right accuracy his his processing is head above CJ.   I'm telling you right now teams have told me CJ Stroud is a fantastic football player and he's a okay process.  

When you compare him to Bryce young it ain't even in the same ballpark 

CJ is taller. Bryce is shorter.  Bryce's processing is taller CJ's processing is shorter.

When you compare the two ... I'm talking about it's in the 70s 80s and CJ is not in the 70s or 80s that's all I'm saying."

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, poundaway said:

"So let's get into it. Bryce I love Bryce... has a strong arm pure placement right accuracy his his processing is head above CJ.   I'm telling you right now teams have told me CJ Stroud is a fantastic football player and he's a okay process.  

CJ is taller. Bryce is shorter.  Bryce's processing is taller CJ's processing is shorter.

When you compare the two ... I'm talking about it's in the 70s 80s and CJ is not in the 70s or 80s that's all I'm saying."

good stuff 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Laid it all out there. If he has has heard correct......

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, poundaway said:

What is he referencing with 70/80? I get that point but not the numbers themselves.

Not sure if I agree with strong arm, it’s not bad, but I don’t know if I would say strong in NFL terms.

those of you who are familiar with me have read my comments about Steve Smith--he was counterproductive to the other developmental WRs--how he abused Dwayne Jarrett.

When Smith is talking about Bryce, he admits his "immaturity" and says, "it wears on people" calling himself an Alpha Dog and not a leader.

I was shocked to see him admit that, but maybe he has grown up.  He is very smart, and apparently, has done some reflecting.

• Pie 1