• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR in draft

Jmac

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I have the felling #39 is getting traded. Fitt is going to want more draft picks and 39 is the most valuable asset the team has they can part with easily that allows them to pick up more picks in this draft.

Serious possibility…agree.  Fitty will definitely look to recoup picks, and this might be the best move 

Ok let me try to predict what the Panthers will want at 39. I am terrible at trying to figure out the Panthers, but I will take a stab at it here.

As is stands now, we will have Burns and YGM at OLB. YGM has not lived up to his draft position so far in his time here with the Panthers. So I have to take out a crystal and try to gauge what the new coaching staff thinking of YGM. What do I know? I know that the Panthers are having B.J Ojulari out here for a visit. Ok B.J would play OLB, and he would not be replacing Burns obviously. He'd be replacing YGM at some point. What is B.J going to go in the draft? Somewhere in the second round imo. Ah now we're getting somewhere. The Panthers are sniffing around BJ and kicking the tires to see if they want him to eventually replace underachieving YGM. So now B.J goes on my radar as a possible pick at 39.

What about WR at 39? We don't have a #1 WR at all due to trading DJ. There is no #1 WR on the roster, but someone will line up at the #1 position. The 3 best WRs are Adam Thielen, DJ Chark, and TerraceMarshall Jr. Red alert. That is not good at all. That is why it's known we don't have a #1 WR. What is going to happen? If we don't select a #1 WR in the draft, then DJ Chark will be sent out to the #1 WR position. What about the draft? We need to see if there is a #1 WR we can snag, or a #2 WR or slot receive who would be an upgrade from what we have now. So you go DJ Chark versus (#39 draft pick). Who do we like? Who could play #1 WR better than DJ Chark in this draft, and who will be there at #39 and be our long term #1 WR? Ummmmm...... trade up?

We're probably taking B.J at 39 imo.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

I have the felling #39 is getting traded. Fitt is going to want more draft picks and 39 is the most valuable asset the team has they can part with easily that allows them to pick up more picks in this draft.

If I recall, he wanted to save it when dealing with the Bears.  If he can find a taker, getting 2 picks in the 55-75 range would be ideal, imo.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Ok let me try to predict what the Panthers will want at 39. I am terrible at trying to figure out the Panthers, but I will take a stab at it here.

As is stands now, we will have Burns and YGM at OLB. YGM has not lived up to his draft position so far in his time here with the Panthers. So I have to take out a crystal and try to gauge what the new coaching staff thinking of YGM. What do I know? I know that the Panthers are having B.J Ojulari out here for a visit. Ok B.J would play OLB, and he would not be replacing Burns obviously. He'd be replacing YGM at some point. What is B.J going to go in the draft? Somewhere in the second round imo. Ah now we're getting somewhere. The Panthers are sniffing around BJ and kicking the tires to see if they want him to eventually replace underachieving YGM. So now B.J goes on my radar as a possible pick at 39.

What about WR at 39? We don't have a #1 WR at all due to trading DJ. There is no #1 WR on the roster, but someone will line up at the #1 position. The 3 best WRs are Adam Thielen, DJ Chark, and TerraceMarshall Jr. Red alert. That is not good at all. That is why it's known we don't have a #1 WR. What is going to happen? If we don't select a #1 WR in the draft, then DJ Chark will be sent out to the #1 WR position. What about the draft? We need to see if there is a #1 WR we can snag, or a #2 WR or slot receive who would be an upgrade from what we have now. So you go DJ Chark versus (#39 draft pick). Who do we like? Who could play #1 WR better than DJ Chark in this draft, and who will be there at #39 and be our long term #1 WR? Ummmmm...... trade up?

We're probably taking B.J at 39 imo.

If he is there, I think they have to take him. 

However, I was reading that a player like Luvu could move to OLB on passing downs.   Furthermore, Barno is developing and offers a developing OLB/edge.  Finally, YGM can play outside on running down, moving inside to DE when Barno or Luvu takes over at OLB.

So that confused me--I think we need a stud pass rusher, not a committee, but I am also a big fan of developing your talent and not burying it.  So we will see. 

The more I think about it, the pick will probably be dealt and a G could be the first pick on day 2.

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If he is there, I think they have to take him. 

However, I was reading that a player like Luvu could move to OLB on passing downs.   Furthermore, Barno is developing and offers a developing OLB/edge.  Finally, YGM can play outside on running down, moving inside to DE when Barno or Luvu takes over at OLB.

So that confused me--I think we need a stud pass rusher, not a committee, but I am also a big fan of developing your talent and not burying it.  So we will see. 

The more I think about it, the pick will probably be dealt and a G could be the first pick on day 2.

The problem with Luvu at OLB on passing downs is size and speed. He would be undersized, and his speed doesn't make up for his lack of size to be all that effective rushing the passer at OLB. We could put him out there, but I don't think the results would be all that good. Put it this way, I would probably have to put YGM out there over Luvu even on a passing down, and that is painful because I don't like YGM. Like Luvu is more of an ILB than an OLB, but in a pinch I think he could play some OLB. Some fans don't even think he could do it at all, but I think he could.

YGM cannot play DE in a 3-4 imo at all unless we're sure they intend to pass. He would get 100% blown up and blasted backwards if he has to deal with two lineman and they run it imo. YGM is 265 pounds. Now if YGM were about 300 pounds then yes move him to DE. Now if we are planning to mug and send the house then yeah YGM can be out there at DE in like special situations. 3rd and long, obvious passing downs, I have a feeling we'll mix things up.

Edited by pantherj
  • Pie 1

I think it means that you don't have to reach for a Downs or Hyatt at 39. I like both in college but BPA might be a more impactful player that's also more of a need. They probably already have a list of wr's coming out next year for when the QB has a year of experience under their belt. I like the idea of mostly vets this year. TMJ and Shi still need actual NFL coaching after a couple years of the last staff, same with Barno and Brandon Smith on the d side. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think it means that you don't have to reach for a Downs or Hyatt at 39. I like both in college but BPA might be a more impactful player that's also more of a need. They probably already have a list of wr's coming out next year for when the QB has a year of experience under their belt. I like the idea of mostly vets this year. TMJ and Shi still need actual NFL coaching after a couple years of the last staff, same with Barno and Brandon Smith on the d side. 

I don't like Shi Smiths hands I think he's a guy who is going to have too many drops. I don't think we'll take  Josh Downs because he'd play the slot and we already have that taken care of, and I don't want depth with the 39th pick. Yes no reaching. Please Fitt.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, pantherj said:

I don't like Shi Smiths hands I think he's a guy who is going to have too many drops. I don't think we'll take  Josh Downs because he'd play the slot and we already have that taken care of, and I don't want depth with the 39th pick. Yes no reaching. Please Fitt.

Yeah, i'd say pick 10-50 are all about equal talent wise. When we were stuck at 9 it as pretty depressing doing mock drafts. I know it's good to go bpa over need but this feels like a combination of the two at 39. No can't miss guy is falling that far so just take the best combo of talent and opportunity to contribute immediately. I still like the ILB's/CB's that may be there. D-line guys I still don't have a feel for but could happen. I know everyone still wants TE but I think there's enough depth to wait on that, and then we'll still have a 5-6 TE camp battle

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Unless the talent at 39 is just that special. Like. O Cyrus, Jack Campbell, Zay, BJ etc we could likely trade.  45 to 65 is a sneaky area that could be prime spot to add two valuable players instead of just one at 39.  

• Beer 2