• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN’s Matt Miller: “There's a lot of like for C.J. Stroud there, but Bryce won the entire organization over.”

FuFuLamePoo

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Not really. It's basically a 3 year window. If it fails then Frank and Fitt are likely gone and by that time we have our 1st rd pick back.

It's gonna work though Young is the right pick. The doubters will believe when he starts winning games.

It always blows my mind how people fail to realize this. People say "picking the wrong quarterback sets you back 5-6 years!!" but like, no it doesn't? Hell the Jets realized after two Zach Wilson wasn't the guy and they're already able to explore other options since they feel they have a roster ready to win now. You'll probably know after those first 2-3 seasons if your guy is someone worth building around or not. And as you alluded to, we're only going one year without a first round pick. If we draft a bust a bunch of people will lose their jobs, but none of us and we can just try again when the time comes. Biggest fear is drafting someone bane average like Daniel Jones but convincing yourself he can take you all the way, which nobody else believes.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Not really. It's basically a 3 year window. If it fails then Frank and Fitt are likely gone and by that time we have our 1st rd pick back.

It's gonna work though Young is the right pick. The doubters will believe when he starts winning games.

I hope so. But thats also 3 years wasted and watching another QB that we had a chance at thrive.

Edited by ncsfinest21
  • Pie 1

Just now, FuFuLamePoo said:

It always blows my mind how people fail to realize this. People say "picking the wrong quarterback sets you back 5-6 years!!" but like, no it doesn't? Hell the Jets realized after two Zach Wilson wasn't the guy and they're already able to explore other options since they feel they have a roster ready to win now. You'll probably know after those first 2-3 seasons if your guy is someone worth building around or not. And as you alluded to, we're only going one year without a first round pick. If we draft a bust a bunch of people will lose their jobs, but none of us and we can just try again when the time comes. Biggest fear is drafting someone bane average like Daniel Jones but convincing yourself he can take you all the way, which nobody else believes.

Its not about picking the wrong QB. Its about the picks given up to get a wrong QB. When you give up multiple 1st rds for a year or 2, thats alot of good quality players given up that can allow us to either get another QB or replace someone who is expendable.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Because most QB's under 6' it takes  years to adjust to the NFL especially height wise. 

Didn’t Russ and Kyler start year 1? I think Russ won a Super Bowl on his rookie deal. Maybe in his second season actually.

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

Didn’t Russ and Kyler start year 1? I think Russ won a Super Bowl on his rookie deal. Maybe in his second season actually.

Yes he did but Russ had the legion of boom and a solid run game. We do have the same setup here though. So its possible. Guess we just have to wait and see

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Its not about picking the wrong QB. Its about the picks given up to get a wrong QB. When you give up multiple 1st rds for a year or 2, thats alot of good quality players given up that can allow us to either get another QB or replace someone who is expendable.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. But we were at a crossroads. We have built at least a league average roster, meaning we're never going to be bad enough anytime soon to get a top 3 pick to use on a QB. At some point we had to get aggressive and I'm glad we did it now. I'm a firm believer in this QB class, and the teams that can get Drake and Caleb next year aren't trading those picks. I'd so much rather go a year without a first while bringing in an actual talent at QB as opposed to talking myself into Desmond Ridder right now. He looked awful last year, they have an okayish roster, but they'll be stuck at 6-8 wins unless he's better than he looked. I'm not saying going a year without a first doesn't suck, but I do think at some point we had to make this sort of move and I think we picked the perfect offseason to do it.

7 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. But we were at a crossroads. We have built at least a league average roster, meaning we're never going to be bad enough anytime soon to get a top 3 pick to use on a QB. At some point we had to get aggressive and I'm glad we did it now. I'm a firm believer in this QB class, and the teams that can get Drake and Caleb next year aren't trading those picks. I'd so much rather go a year without a first while bringing in an actual talent at QB as opposed to talking myself into Desmond Ridder right now. He looked awful last year, they have an okayish roster, but they'll be stuck at 6-8 wins unless he's better than he looked. I'm not saying going a year without a first doesn't suck, but I do think at some point we had to make this sort of move and I think we picked the perfect offseason to do it.

Fax

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I was half joking, just thought I'd get the thread off to a good start this morning! Judging by how he was pressuring Fitt into the Corral trade up last year I'm assuming he's at least letting his preference known in a subtle way

Like you, I feel sure Tepper is letting his preference be known in a subtle away but smart enough to listen and listen good to the fine staff he has installed. 

• Beer 1

"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. His passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands." -- ESPN's Todd 

Who could Todd be talking about?

This QB is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like." -- ESPN's Mel Kiper 

Mel knows his football.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, jasonluckydog said:

"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. His passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands." -- ESPN's Todd 

Who could Todd be talking about?

This QB is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like." -- ESPN's Mel Kiper 

Mel knows his football.

I would tend to believe and take to heart what ESPN's Todd says but I lost all confidence in ESPN's Mel Kiper after he gave out just great raves and build up about Jimmy Clausen and we all know how that turned out.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

I would tend to believe and take to heart what ESPN's Todd says but I lost all confidence in ESPN's Mel Kiper after he gave out just great raves and build up about Jimmy Clausen and we all know how that turned out.

It's amazing that ESPN has laid off like 1k people in the last 5 years minimum yet David Newton and Mel Kiper managed to stick around. 

• Pie 2

14 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

So it's a Tepper pick

14 hours ago, OldhamA said:

No, I genuinely think they've all been taken in by the off-the-field stuff and are overlooking the on-the-field concerns.

If you're Reich / Fitterer you walk away if Tepper is making this pick - their careers are on the line here. 

Yeah, it's already been reported that Tepper is NOT making the pick. 

The reason why Young is looking like the pick is mainly because of what he did on the field. To suggest otherwise is simply being disingenuous and disconnected from reality when you get down to it. Young's tape is better than Stroud's pure and simple.

• Pie 1