• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN lays off employees, with more cuts to come

ladypanther

On 7/1/2023 at 10:37 PM, TheCasillas said:

Charlotte has a pretty shitty infrastructure. It was not designed to be as big as it is becoming.

FWIW, there was always an intent to fix the city's infrastructure, making the right connections, building the right transit, roads, etc. CDOT people always knew the city would grow to its current size by now and always had plans to cater to it. It's part of the reason why policies like McCrory banning cul-de-sacs, for example, came about--you can't have everyone ultimately dumping onto Providence and other arterials and expect them to work. You also can't keep expanding freeways only and expect them the solve the problem alone, but you still have to do the right ones like 77S, which needed widening ages ago.

Btw, I can't believe Independence is still not done. I also think CATS can't be serious with an $8b light rail project...for that amount of money it should be a subway or real Euro/Asian-style metro.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:38 PM, Khyber53 said:

Disney is planning something very big for next year and is clearing the decks to create cash now.

More like Comcast is fixing to break it off in Disney ass in Jan 2024.

Comcast can force Disney  to buy the rest of Hulu from Comcast and the price is around $9 billion in Jan 2024. 

The cable companies have finally priced their product out of the market and ESPN has been losing subscribers and $$ for years. In Q1 this year alone they took a big hit.   https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/espn-fox-sports-cable-tv-subscribers-customers-us-households-decline-nielsen/?zephr_sso_ott=RNacDk#:~:text=ESPN losses 914k US customers,Q1 2023%2C says study - SportsPro This is the reason for cuts.  Can't pay what you don't have.  I quit listening to all of those guys once they moved away from sports and started letting me know how they felt politically.  Some of the ones on the list are the worst offenders.  

• Pie 3

15 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

If Disney moved because of the climate, they would go further north than NC because they had seen studies that showed NC would become too hot and dry and they wouldn't want to move again. If Disney moved to NC at all, it wouldn't be the mountains but somewhere in the piedmont. There's not enough land in the mountains for a park Disney World's size. Virginia, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, or Kentucky would be my guess if Disney left Florida due to the climate.

I mean, you're saying they wouldn't go to the mountains of NC because they might *become* too hot, when they're already located in Florida?  If they came to the piedmont I'd tell you a prime location. Look at a map of the area. Look east and east southeast of Charlotte. See that big empty space bordered by 601 on the west, 27 on the north, 52 to the east and 74 to the south?  Nothing but wide open farmland with Oakboro the only town inside it.  That's where you get your big tracts of open land cheap, and you just make sure the state government agrees to put in major highways in and out as part of the deal to get you there. 

I don't think they move as far north as the midwest, as flat as it is, because that's the part of the country everyone and their brother are moving away FROM. Virginia I could see and honestly could make a ton of sense. DIsney world in the Shenendoah Valley would be horrible for the Valley's natural charm, but probably a wet dream of a location for the suits at Mouseworld.

19 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I mean, you're saying they wouldn't go to the mountains of NC because they might *become* too hot, when they're already located in Florida?  If they came to the piedmont I'd tell you a prime location. Look at a map of the area. Look east and east southeast of Charlotte. See that big empty space bordered by 601 on the west, 27 on the north, 52 to the east and 74 to the south?  Nothing but wide open farmland with Oakboro the only town inside it.  That's where you get your big tracts of open land cheap, and you just make sure the state government agrees to put in major highways in and out as part of the deal to get you there. 

I don't think they move as far north as the midwest, as flat as it is, because that's the part of the country everyone and their brother are moving away FROM. Virginia I could see and honestly could make a ton of sense. DIsney world in the Shenendoah Valley would be horrible for the Valley's natural charm, but probably a wet dream of a location for the suits at Mouseworld.

No, I said they wouldn't come to NC, not just the mountains, if they had evidence or reports that showed the climate changed enough that NC became too hot and dry. Pay attention to the weather maps and notice how dry everything in the south is starting to look. I'm not just talking the southwest, I mean the southeast as well. Also, notice how "Dixie Alley" is starting to come further east. Then take into account the oceans rising and stronger hurricanes. Long term, NC(and everything along the same parallel or south of it) is not going to be a viable place to live as the planet continues to heat up. The upper elevations of the mountains will be viable longer, but even that won't last, especially since they're not getting the snow they once did. Virginia and north of there is where people are going to want to be in the next few decades, if not years.

Disney World is almost 50 square miles. I just can't see them finding that much relatively flat land in the mountains to build a park in. Plus they might want more for future expansions. Land is why I don't think they would look to build in the NC mountains. As I stated before, the piedmont is where they would build in NC, if they came here at all.

Now, if we want to get into Disney just leaving Florida because of the politics and not climate change, even then NC isn't someplace they would want to move to. Our state legislature is doing their best Texas and Fl impersonations. That's not even counting that Mark Robinson might be the next governor, and yeah, he has a good chance at it with how people vote here. Why would Disney want to go from one version of that to another? If politics is the reason they leave Fl, it doesn't make sense to come to a state trying to be another Fl.

14 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Is there any way we can get rid of Tony Romo?

Everything about that dude is annoying his face, his voice, everything!

Early Romo was great.  But he has run his course.