• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best VALUE draft picks in Panther History

MHS831

46 minutes ago, beo said:

Hardy could've been #1 on this had he carved out a long career instead of having his episode (even if he wasn't as good a player as smitty). Finding a player of that caliber so late in the draft is extremely rare, even with the off the field incident, getting two 10+ sack seasons with great run d on top of it out of a 6th rounder is pretty incredible value. You're usually just looking for guys to compete to make the final 53 with 6th rounders.

Jno was also a fantastic find, I wonder what could've came of him had he not went to Washington. Always thought they misused him badly trying to play him as a #1 shadow-the-wr sort of CB instead of using him like Ron did.

As an aside, I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't trade down out of 39 at this point. 

Agreed, though to be fair the only reason he was available so late in the draft was because of character concerns. I remember at the time he was viewed as first round talent by a lot of folks. So in a way he lived up to his draft profile exactly, just glad we were able to milk a couple years out of that crazy.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, panther4life said:

Smith is the best player in franchise history, so he’s easily the best value of all time.

Charles Johnson at 83 turned out to be incredible value. 

Travelle Wharton at 94 is great value too. One of our best offensive lineman in team history. 

I mean I really like everyone you listed. I might even add Donte Jackson at 54 to the list.

I’d also definitely add these players to the list.

Mike Minter at 56. 

Will Witherspoon at 73 (I’m sure Dan Morgan especially would agree )

James Anderson at 88 was another good value.

Geoff Hangartner at 169. Anyone who contributes as much as he did and picked that late deserves to be mentioned here

I’d also have to at least give honorable mention to both Richard Marshall 58.

Lastly I know he was still a first rounder but Chris Gamble was a top 10 talent and we were fortunate enough to get him at 28.

One of the best “finds” was Andrew Norwell, and undrafted free agent signed in 2014. He opted to sign with Jacksonville later. He wanted more than the Panthers were willing to pay, pretty sure he is with the Cmmanders now. 

1 hour ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I apologize. I was correct in my initial analysis......and if you think it's bad now wait until after the pick.  Probably a 9 ban night.

I thought you were just joking and I was playing along.  Now I see your point.