• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 - The Carolina Panthers Select DJ Johnson - EDGE - Oregon

rodeo

53 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Sounds like they are going to start Johnson at power olb and have him focus on run stopping while they develop his pass rushing moves. 

There is no way he’s starting.. Get ready for YGM because this guy is rotational at best.. It’s okay to be optimistic but don’t go overboard..

After some consideration I have come to choose to believe that if Ejiro Evero wants this guy enough to endorse a trade up for him then I can’t wait to see him play in this D. I do not care where Interneters think he should or should not be chosen. Our guys wanted him enough to jump on him

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Beast_3000 said:

You missed my point. Based on your post with a 3rd round success rate being about 35% why trade up for a player and loose resources. We could have gotten him at 93 and picked up another possible boom or bust in the 4th round our defense could use. 
 I don’t hate the pick and I hope we get lucky. I dislike the loss of resources (loss of 4th).

You state that like it is fact.

• Pie 2

80) CAROLINA PANTHERS: EDGE DJ JOHNSON, OREGON

PFF Big Board Rank: 237

This is one of the bigger reaches so far based on the PFF big board, with Johnson coming in at 237th overall. The Panthers are taking a swing on Johnson’s athleticism on the edge (4.49-second 40-yard dash at 261 pounds). He’s a 24-year-old prospect who recorded fewer than 50 career pressures on 786 defensive snaps in college

Not excited by either 2nd or 3rd round picks. Hope both prove me wrong. Had higher rated DEs. DBs, WRs & even a TE or two on the board when either were drafted. Does anyone remember that the defense let Mitch look like 2021 level Brady. I sure hope Evero can pull a lot of rabbits out of his hat next season. Just IMO

Coaches have an arrogant way of thinking they can fix everybody. This feels like they had to reach for Evero to give him something of value after taking Mingo in the 2nd. 

The low production and character concerns tell me this guy is somebody we should’ve waited for. But If he works out, nobody will remember or cafe that we traded up for him. 

Eviro knows the kind of players he’s looking for to match the scheme so they’re looking at the position and the board much different than most people. I’m meh … but will trust the coaching process. 

Im hoping we get some oLine / corner depth on the last day 

After what they did with the first pick, people shouldn’t expect magic. We made a hole with DJ where there wasn’t one and the picks of course. But DJ was a big hole. It really is too many holes to fill with what is left over from all that. 

I am going to focus on Evero wanting Johnson, and they surely owed him a player by that point. The extra risk/investment is pretty small potatoes compared to what was done for round 1, not sweating it. 

I really have optimism for Mingo. He has the speed he needs and more size than most that can motor like that. Plus, I think he will be a man on the field and his hands are really being underrated by some. He could be somebody.