• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 - The Carolina Panthers Select DJ Johnson - EDGE - Oregon

rodeo

11 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

I watched quite a few Oregon games over the past couple of years because a coworkers son plays for the Ducks (not a starter, but maybe this season). 

I saw Johnson play TE in 2020 and 2021.  He didn't play many games, but when he did play he was really utilized as another blocker and he road graded defensive players.  He also had a couple of games where he was used in the red zone and showed his speed, good hands, and decent route running.  I think he had 4 or 5 TDs.

Last year he played LB and his speed and strength showed up even though he didn't put up huge sack numbers.  It's sort of like Burns and Reddick....I think he'll develop into an outside rusher who can really pressure the QB fast.  I hope he doesn't over pursue like Burns does at times.  I think the Panthers are trying to recreate what they had with Burns and Reddick.

Also, I think Johnson played for two different coaches and staff and showed versatility and a willingness to do what was best for the team.  I am sure Evero had a hand in this pick, this isn't just a random pick.  The Panthers staff see something they like about him and I'll trust Evero, Fitt, and Morgan on this.

The guy is kind of freakish - he got to Bennett when they played Georgia and had him on the run and stepping up in the pocket a lot.  Also saw him drop back in coverage and cover TEs.

Give him a chance, that's all you can do. 

Remember Evero came from San Francisco. Being from the west coast I think he would be more familiar with athletes from the PAC 10. I have to wonder if he had not already scouted this player for San Fran before he knew he was leaving. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

BJ did it in the SEC for years though.  Wouldn’t call a guy who did it in the PAC12 once the same production. 

and the mature 24 year old punched a fan.  In the back of the head.  Just last season.  That’s not exactly the dog mentality we have been lacking IMO.  That’s dumb on display and lack of basic control. 

Counter: BJ’s production in year 3 at OLB was matched by a guy who played TE the year before. God damn BJ Olujari is one of the strangest board obsessions  I can remember. You have to be a dumb fug to punch a fan tho…real talk there

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

and the mature 24 year old punched a fan.  In the back of the head.  Just last season.  That’s not exactly the dog mentality we have been lacking IMO.  That’s dumb on display and lack of basic control. 

So much for "high character guys." I hope he works out both on and off field, but this pick is a poser to say the least. I'll be happy to be wrong on him.

4 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

. You have to be a dumb fug to punch a fan tho…real talk there

Not just punch him.  Sucker punch to the back of the head.  And he frankly faced no consequences for it.  His next move was to declare for the draft.  And that just happened with the 24 year old.  It’s not like it was something that happened at 18 and you saw growth and maturity after.  

4 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

So much for "high character guys." I hope he works out both on and off field, but this pick is a poser to say the least. I'll be happy to be wrong on him.

So will the rest of us but the questions are valid.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Remember his coach at Oregon for all but last year was that doofus Mario Cristobal who couldn’t even properly utilize Justin Herbert 

As a Miami fan, this has me tripping, no lie. But maybe DJ is a 3-4 OLB only guy. Richt didn’t run 3-4 at Miami. Mario ran 4-3 at Oregon. Maybe Lannings 3-4 was the key to unlocking who Johnson really is 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Not just punch him.  Sucker punch to the back of the head.  And he frankly faced no consequences for it.  His next move was to declare for the draft.  And that just happened with the 24 year old.  It’s not like it was something that happened at 18 and you saw growth and maturity after.  

It have no issue with this welcome to the Panthers DJ

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

It have no issue with this welcome to the Panthers DJ

lol.  Have at it. 

I do.  I don’t care for the team I support to draft dudes like that.  Just not my preference, too many other options.   That was literally just 5 months ago and the dude is 24.  No consequences on top of it.  That’s his last act as an old college player.  Sucker punching a dipshit fan in the back because you can’t handle your emotions.  That’s not toughness or dawg.  That’s a dumbass that can’t handle pressure and emotions.  

Anywho, moving on….but I’ll stick with not liking using 2 picks to overdraft this dude. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

lol.  Have at it. 

I do.  I don’t care for the team I support to draft dudes like that.  Just not my preference, too many other options.   That was literally just 5 months ago and the dude is 24.  No consequences on top of it.  That’s his last act as an old college player.  Sucker punching a dipshit fan in the back because you can’t handle your emotions.  That’s not toughness or dawg.  That’s a dumbass that can’t handle pressure and emotions.  

Anywho, moving on….but I’ll stick with not liking using 2 picks to overdraft this dude. 

Ridiculous…he is a kid and this happened in the heat of the moment.  You act like is some career criminal or something.  Looking back at when he was picked there were a ton of reaches in that area.  This draft is very weak.  

13 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

With Trenton Simpson on the board this is a dumb pick

Some draft forecasters had Trenton Simpson rated as high as a top 50pick. Others knocked him, saying his short area quickness wasn't ideal for difficult coverage assignments or swiveling around in pursuit.

Just being honest.. It’s hard talking myself into this pick.. I’ve watched some of his tape and the athleticism at the combine gets masked over by the sheer struggles at not knowing what he’s doing and constantly being in the wrong place.. He is a 25 year old project at this point.. jmo

Edited by WOW!!
  • Beer 1

Post-Draft Analysis

A former tight end and 24-year-old prospect, Johnson reminds me of Brian Burns in the way he plays and will fit that same role in the stand-up, outside rusher position. Johnson likely factors in as a rotational pass-rusher out of the gate, but he could continue to develop and push Yetur Gross-Matos opposite Burns. -- Matt Miller