• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye explains DJ Johnson pick

TheSpecialJuan

I don’t know the player but the process behind the pick seems sound. They think Johnson can be a day one contributor (Two down edge setting OLB) and he plays a premium position. He also was probably the last of in the group they considered to be a day one contributor.

I’ll never complain at a swing at a key/expensive position (QB, WR, OT, DT, Edge, CB)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

My only questioning is what sets DJ apart from Isaiah McGuire, Hampton, or KJ Henry at EDGE. They must see something specific in him that set him apart to trade up for.  

Fitt said he’s big and fast.

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

This I agree with every word. Was not getting a a random EDGE in this draft really the end of the world? I just don't think it was necessary to panic.

no poo, so what we missed on a DE, there were still good oline, linebacker and Te prospects just sitting there.  Live to fight another day

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I mean do they really think this dude is going to be a better building block for your team then Darnall washington?  It really doesnt make a lick of sense

Hahahaha Darnell Washington is a future journeyman tackle with bad knees. That’s your guy we missed on?

Edited by Swaggasaurus

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

lol if you play simple odds and math the genius move is to criticize every pick that isn’t a first rounder and you basically are going to generally be right the overwhelming majority of the time lol.    And that’s without even looking at who we pick at any point.  

If you give a sh-t about that sort of thing, I suppose 

23 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not really

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dj-johnson/32004a4f-4820-4752-6ea6-b2eea911de03

• Lacks run game recognition and shed timing.
  • Tackle technique will need work.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073740-dj-johnson-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-carolina-panthers-edge

– When lined up head up on the tackle, he lacks block recognition and agility to avoid getting reached.

– He has a habit of gambling and leaving his gap early against the run.

– Struggles to break down and tackle in space.

Any reason why you left these out?

POSITIVES

– On passing downs and out of a three-point stance, he accelerates off the line of scrimmage well for a good get-off.

– Keeps his feet moving through contact and is solid at collapsing the pocket with a bull rush.

As a run defender, he's got pop in his hands and is strong and physical at the point of attack to help standup offensive tackles.

– Takes on blocks with a wide base, going to be hard to move one-on-one against offensive tackles.

– When playing outside shade of the offensive tackle, he can set the edge versus outside zone runs.

– Won't get blocked by tight ends.

cc: @Harbingers

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its not just the pick its the giving up a 4rth for it

Well that’s a huge part of it.  You have up a pick for a dude that odds and sentiment favored would be there is roundS later.  The argument all it takes is 1 team isn’t something I care for because a wildcard could take out anyone and you could use that defense on every decision ever made 

22 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

My only questioning is what sets DJ apart from Isaiah McGuire, Hampton, or KJ Henry at EDGE. They must see something specific in him that set him apart to trade up for.  

Hampton would’ve been a good pick..but for Hampton-Size.

KJ Henry is stiff as a board

McGuire had better production so can’t argue that.

What sets BJ Olujari apart from DJ Johnson?

I Didnt like the Johnson pick or the trade. But Go back and look at picks 39-80. Where is the can’t miss day one starter…Cam Smith maybe? Honey badger lite from Bama at nickel maybe?

Edited by Swaggasaurus

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

its a 3rd and a 4rth for a 24 year old "project".  Draft grade or not that looks fuging stupid on paper

Paper is flimsy.

So are early draft grades.

Talk to me about how it looks on the field.

(we should have a better idea about that in 2-3 years)

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Any reason why you left these out?

POSITIVES

– On passing downs and out of a three-point stance, he accelerates off the line of scrimmage well for a good get-off.

– Keeps his feet moving through contact and is solid at collapsing the pocket with a bull rush.

As a run defender, he's got pop in his hands and is strong and physical at the point of attack to help standup offensive tackles.

– Takes on blocks with a wide base, going to be hard to move one-on-one against offensive tackles.

– When playing outside shade of the offensive tackle, he can set the edge versus outside zone runs.

– Won't get blocked by tight ends.

cc: @Harbingers

While agree with your sentiment, aggregating for a 3rd round pick the cons are going to out way the pros. 

Edited by Harbingers

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you give a sh-t about that sort of thing, I suppose 

it’s just more of a statement that most late round picks don’t wow and work out statistically speaking.  I haven’t complained about many in real time.   This one stands out and I think the Panthers today probably realize they are going to hear it about this one.   Even the ones I don’t love I generally support as whatever. 

this one just seems like a bad gamble given value, location and cost.  It’s not so much the addition of the player it’s the resources used.  Screams of poor draft management.  Yeah, everything is a gamble.   But there is still some basic math/value to how you should be gambling to maximize things.

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

While agree with your sentiment, aggregating for a 3rd round pick the cons are going to out way the pros. 

Based on what I’ve read…  I’m not as butt hurt as the rest of this board. He was moved around a lot during his college career and transferred colleges.

sounds like college coaches were not sure how to use but used him. The kid still has 6.5 sacks last year and 8 tackles for a loss. He has extremely stacked athleticism. 

we have a grade A staff that wanted the kid. I have no skin in the game to be bitching about what our coaches wanted in a player and how they intend to use him. 

Just now, CRA said:

it’s just more of a statement that most late round picks don’t wow and work out statistically speaking.  I haven’t complained about many in real time.   This one stands out and I think the Panthers today probably realize they are going to hear it about this one.   Even the ones I don’t love I generally support as whatever. 

this one just seems like a bad gamble given value, location and cost.  It’s not so much the addition of the player it’s the resources used.  Screams of poor draft management.  Yeah, everything is a gamble.   But there is still some basic math/value to how you should be gambling to maximize things.

Kinda doubt they care that much about fan opinion.

I've seen too many people rant about picks who turned out great or rave about picks that were massive busts to put too much stock or emotion into early draft evaluations.

(especially in the lower rounds)