• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

week 1

ericr0319

Does anyone really think the NFL needs story lines to pull eyeballs week 1?

Week 8-17 they need to gin up reasons for some folks to watch but week one every team and their fans are full of optimism and hope that they will either continue their dominance or that this is their year to be that surprise team.

Edited by Cullenator
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Cullenator said:

Week 8-17 they need to gin up reasons for some folks to watch but week one every and their fans team are full of optimism and hope that they will either continue their dominance or that this is their year to be that surprise team.

Well...Past two seasons, the NFL has had the Panthers have some sort of storyline(Darnold vs the Jets, and Baker vs the Browns)

Honestly going off of that, Reich vs the Colts could very well be our week 1.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

The NFL tries to create matchups week 1 that best incorporate drama from last year or the offseason. What other match up would be better? Some have mentioned the Texans which I can see. That's pretty much it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine their ultimate objective is to draw as many viewers as possible, rather than specifically being focused on drama.  I can't imagine a Panthers/Colts matchup being particularly marketable or enticing to fans outside of our two fanbases other than maybe people interested in Bryce Young's debut.  We're both relatively bad teams in small markets.  I would think they'd be better off either picking two powerhouses to face off (like a Bills/Chiefs type matchup) or maybe a divisional rivalry between two exciting up-and-comers.  If there's any coaching-related storyline that would entice viewers, I'd say it's the return of Sean Payton, so Broncos vs. whoever would probably be fairly interesting for the average fan.

Edit: I think I totally misunderstood the OP....I was thinking of who the NFL is going to pick as the kickoff game lol.  Not our personal Week 1 opener.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ericr0319 said:

any guesses? Does Houston seems like the obvious choice for Young v Stroud. 

I remember the NFL doing this for Winston v Marriota. 

The schedule for us I think is very important this year. Praying for a weak first 4 games to get this offense to click. would love to see it start - hou, tb, atl, tenn/ind

The defense probably needs more time than the offense, IMO. Not just a new coordinator, but a bunch of guys who have played in 4-3 their whole career switching to 3-4.

12 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Week 8-17 they need to gin up reasons for some folks to watch but week one every team and their fans are full of optimism and hope that they will either continue their dominance or that this is their year to be that surprise team.

Yea, the NFL does this whether we think they need eyeballs Week 1 or not.

Last year, Week 1 included these match ups:

Baker vs. Browns

Wilson vs. Seahawks

If the Packers and Jets were set to play in 2023, I guarantee that would be a Week 1 game.

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine their ultimate objective is to draw as many viewers as possible, rather than specifically being focused on drama.  I can't imagine a Panthers/Colts matchup being particularly marketable or enticing to fans outside of our two fanbases other than maybe people interested in Bryce Young's debut.  We're both relatively bad teams in small markets.  I would think they'd be better off either picking two powerhouses to face off (like a Bills/Chiefs type matchup) or maybe a divisional rivalry between two exciting up-and-comers.  If there's any coaching-related storyline that would entice viewers, I'd say it's the return of Sean Payton, so Broncos vs. whoever would probably be fairly interesting for the average fan.

Edit: I think I totally misunderstood the OP....I was thinking of who the NFL is going to pick as the kickoff game lol.  Not our personal Week 1 opener.

I'm with you on the edit. I don't think that would be intriguing enough for a "game of the week," but it would be a juicy match up for both fan bases and will add talking points.

• Beer 1

I get that they can and do hype story lines but week one everyone is going to be watching the games irrespective of whatever hype they throw together.

Now getting eyes on the chuckleheads they want us to watch for 3 or 4 hours prior to kickoff...

Thats a different story

Houston (1 pick vs 2 pick)

Chicago (traded out of 1, has DJ moore, Foreman)

Tampa has Baker.

Indy with Richardson and we have Riech.

We don't play the 9ers this year, but with Purdy hurt, Sam could possibly start game 1 .

I'd pick the Houston game and risk that Houston sits Stroud.

Edited by poundaway

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Houston (1 pick vs 2 pick)

Chicago (traded out of 1, has DJ moore, Foreman)

Tampa has Baker.

Indy with Richardson and we have Riech.

We don't play the 9ers this year, but with Purdy hurt, Sam could possibly start game 1 .

I'd pick the Houston game and risk that Houston sits Stroud.

We will play one of the Texans, Bears, Bucs in Week 1, and I think the ranking is in that order in terms of most likely to happen (I think the Bucs game in Carolina will be a TNF game personally).

But I did see the other day that they think the 49ers Week 1 starting job very well could be an open competition between Darnold and Lance if Purdy isn't ready.  If that's the case, I'd bet Darnold is the Week 1 starter for a few reasons.  

The first is just that he was always a good camp/practice QB, he just struggles in games, so he should be better than Lance leading into Week 1 to win the job.  The second is that if the 49ers are really sold on Purdy being their guy, I don't think they'll want to play Lance unless they really have to.  As if he sucks, it hurts his trade value, and if he's decent, it can throw a wrench into their plans to move forward with Purdy.

So assuming Darnold is their Week 1 starter, I could see them playing the Bucs in week 1 to get that Darnold-Baker matchup, would just be interesting after them both being here last year.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

I'm with you on the edit. I don't think that would be intriguing enough for a "game of the week," but it would be a juicy match up for both fan bases and will add talking points.

Now that I understand the prompt lol, yeah I'd agree that the juiciest matchups would be against the Texans, Colts, Bears, or maybe even the Jaguars as an under-the-radar intriguing pick.  Battle of the big cats between the two newest NFL franchises, going head to head with their recent #1 overall pick QBs coupled with offensive-minded HCs.  Admittedly the drama (if you can even call it that) is a bit more nuanced and subtle in the case of Panthers/Jags, but I'd be excited for that to kick off our season.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Now that I understand the prompt lol, yeah I'd agree that the juiciest matchups would be against the Texans, Colts, Bears, or maybe even the Jaguars as an under-the-radar intriguing pick.  Battle of the big cats between the two newest NFL franchises, going head to head with their recent #1 overall pick QBs coupled with offensive-minded HCs.  Admittedly the drama (if you can even call it that) is a bit more nuanced and subtle in the case of Panthers/Jags, but I'd be excited for that to kick off our season.

I hadn't thought about the Bears. That's definitely one to consider too.

DJ vs Panthers

Bryce Young vs. Justin Fields (should the Bears have traded Fields?)

Bears can help their own draft pick compensation with a win

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I hadn't thought about the Bears. That's definitely one to consider too.

DJ vs Panthers

Bryce Young vs. Justin Fields (should the Bears have traded Fields?)

Bears can help their own draft pick compensation with a win

There is some intrigue but I don’t think this moves the meter that much. Unfortunately DJ doesn’t get the props he deserves.