• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deandre Hopkins is a FA

Seltzer

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Man we have to stop pushing this narrative that signing Hopkins prevents growth from the younger WR's.

Hopkins helps Young more than any of the young WR's. If the goal is to win you sign Hopkins. We are not in a rebuild.

Also you do realize having Hopkins gives those young WR's single coverage?

If they are good they will flourish with those single coverage opportunities.

It's not a narrative that signing Hopkins would prevent growth from the younger WRs, it's just a fact.  If we sign Hopkins, he's on the field for almost every offensive snap next year unless injured or just needs a play off for a breather and almost every one of those snaps would be stolen from TMJ or Mingo.

And having Hopkins wouldn't give those young WRs single coverage as they're not going to be getting doubled as is, and with Hopkins here, they can't get single coverage if they can't get on the field because of Hopkins, it's not like he'd be eligible as a 12th player for us.

Right now, Chark is the #1 outside, Thielen is in the Slot but probably the #2 target, with TMJ or Mingo the other outside starting WR and the #3 target, with the other being #4 on the depth chart and will spell the 3 starters as needed.

We bring Hopkins on board, and one of those two will see VERY limited snaps, while Hopkins takes around 150-160 targets if he stays healthy for the full season while Chark operates as the #2 all year.  That's 150+ targets that would mostly have been spread between TMJ and Mingo, as Chark's targets as the #1 or #2 outside WR would likely be pretty similar anyways.

Let's just say without Hopkins, TMJ and Mingo would end up splitting 100 of those targets, that's more than TMJ had all of last year (47) and only has 77 in his two year career.

So in essence, if we signed Hopkins, both players would likely end up losing about a full season's worth of targets and experience than if Hopkins isn't signed here.  Whoever ends up with the #4 spot probably gets about 50 targets on the year instead of around 100, while whoever ends up the #5 ends up with maybe 25ish instead of 75 or more.

Your argument would be correct if we didn't have Chark, it absolutely would open things up for TMJ and/or Mingo.  But with Chark, it then helps open things up for Chark and Thielen while significantly limiting the snaps that would fall to TMJ and Mingo.

We're not a SB contender this year, and yes, Hopkins likely helps Bryce develop a tad faster, which is our main goal.  I think it would hinder the growth of TMJ and Mingo more than it would help Bryce and thus hurt us more in the long run.  

Edited by tukafan21

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

It's not a narrative that signing Hopkins would prevent growth from the younger WRs, it's just a fact.  If we sign Hopkins, he's on the field for almost every offensive snap next year unless injured or just needs a play off for a breather and almost every one of those snaps would be stolen from TMJ or Mingo.

And having Hopkins wouldn't give those young WRs single coverage as they're not going to be getting doubled as is, and with Hopkins here, they can't get single coverage if they can't get on the field because of Hopkins, it's not like he'd be eligible as a 12th player for us.

Right now, Chark is the #1 outside, Thielen is in the Slot but probably the #2 target, with TMJ or Mingo the other outside starting WR and the #3 target, with the other being #4 on the depth chart and will spell the 3 starters as needed.

We bring Hopkins on board, and one of those two will see VERY limited snaps, while Hopkins takes around 150-160 targets if he stays healthy for the full season while Chark operates as the #2 all year.  That's 150+ targets that would mostly have been spread between TMJ and Mingo, as Chark's targets as the #1 or #2 outside WR would likely be pretty similar anyways.

Let's just say without Hopkins, TMJ and Mingo would end up splitting 100 of those targets, that's more than TMJ had all of last year (47) and only has 77 in his two year career.

So in essence, if we signed Hopkins, both players would likely end up losing about a full season's worth of targets and experience than if Hopkins isn't signed here.  Whoever ends up with the #4 spot probably gets about 50 targets on the year instead of around 100, while whoever ends up the #5 ends up with maybe 25ish instead of 75 or more.

Your argument would be correct if we didn't have Chark, it absolutely would open things up for TMJ and/or Mingo.  But with Chark, it then helps open things up for Chark and Thielen while significantly limiting the snaps that would fall to TMJ and Mingo.

We're not a SB contender this year, and yes, Hopkins likely helps Bryce develop a tad faster, which is our main goal.  I think it would hinder the growth of TMJ and Mingo more than it would help Bryce and thus hurt us more in the long run.  

Remember rookie Cam?

Remember his rookie year was his best passing season.

That team was surrounded with vets Olsen/Shockey/Smitty.

Im just trying to figure out how adding a vet #1 WR is a bad thing for Bryce Young.

40 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

No. We need to save that cap space. Burns needs to be signed and that cap space can be better allocated next year and the year after when we are really in contention to compete. Chinn, Brown and others will need to be resigned in the near future too.

Ditto. 

46 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

No. We need to save that cap space. Burns needs to be signed and that cap space can be better allocated next year and the year after when we are really in contention to compete. Chinn, Brown and others will need to be resigned in the near future too.

What's that gonna do for the young QB we just mortgaged the future of the franchise on to trade up to #1 overall to draft?

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What's that gonna do for the young QB we just mortgaged the future of the franchise on to trade up to #1 overall to draft?

Nobody wants a #1 WR it seems. They putting their trust in some unknown young guys.

I hope Mango lives up to the hype! I would hate to have a realistic chance at Hopkins and we put our faith in the young guys and they don't live up to expectations.

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Nobody wants a #1 WR it seems. They putting their trust in some unknown young guys.

I hope Mango lives up to the hype! I would hate to have a realistic chance at Hopkins and we put our faith in the young guys and they don't live up to expectations.

I'm not begging to sign Hopkins but the arguments that we shouldn't because it'll hamper our current WRs' development or hamper our ability to spend on D just doesn't make any sense. We heavily relied on the development of KB and Funchess while spending our asses off on D during Cam's career and the end result was that Cam never played with a high level NFL WR outside of Smitty early in his career.

• Pie 2

46 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Remember rookie Cam?

Im just trying to figure out how adding a vet #1 WR is a bad thing for Bryce Young.

His rookie year was not his best passing season. That was the season in which he threw for the most yards during a season but that doesn't mean that it was his best.

7 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

to be frank, you didn't even know who one of our WR's was so i am hesitant to put any amount of confidence in your opinion. Hopkins is on the wrong side of 30 and constantly injured. he wants to be paid and we should not be the team that does it. would much rather target a dude like tee higgins in a year or two. we aren't winning a sb this year. 

53 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Remember rookie Cam?

He also had Chud as OC. Can't forget that. 

I don't have a problem bringing in Hopkins but it's really going to depend on what he wants. He's already said he doesn't want to play with a rookie QB. I see him taking less money and heading to KC to play with Mahomes. He'd be a true #1 there. He'd be a WR2 in Buffalo and Philly. Balt he'd be a 1. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens but I don't see a need to get all worked up over a receiver that has publicly said he doesn't want to play with our new QB. 

29 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't have a problem bringing in Hopkins but it's really going to depend on what he wants. He's already said he doesn't want to play with a rookie QB. I see him taking less money and heading to KC to play with Mahomes. He'd be a true #1 there. He'd be a WR2 in Buffalo and Philly. Balt he'd be a 1. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens but I don't see a need to get all worked up over a receiver that has publicly said he doesn't want to play with our new QB. 

He is about to visit the Titans for his first FA visit, so it seems like he will play with any QB if the $ is there. 

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

His rookie year was not his best passing season. That was the season in which he threw for the most yards during a season but that doesn't mean that it was his best.

It was his best passing season. Rookie Cam was something else. Dude was slinging it all over the field. Having Smitty as a reliable target was a big reason for his success. 

1 hour ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

to be frank, you didn't even know who one of our WR's was so i am hesitant to put any amount of confidence in your opinion. Hopkins is on the wrong side of 30 and constantly injured. he wants to be paid and we should not be the team that does it. would much rather target a dude like tee higgins in a year or two. we aren't winning a sb this year. 

Tee Higgins is not promised.

What is up with all this hope and future. We trying to win right now. Fans stuck in rebuild mode. We have a legit coaching staff and finally a legit QB. It's time to win right now.

The future is not promised.

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

He also didn't name the Tannehill on his QB list. He now has a visit with them.

That man looking for a payday. That contender stuff sounds cool until they offer you a discount contract lmao