• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets Signing LaMelo Ball to Max Extension

6 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

You mean that without him we may not make the playoffs, lol.

No, I mean the message that it sends to the fanbase. Luck your way up in the lottery and draft a young kid with star potential, who wants to be in Charlotte. Then let him walk because you're too cheap to pay him.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, tecc86 said:

This is the super max, if he makes the All NBA team next year its a supermax, if not its just a regular max contract for around $200M

Oh, I thought they couldn’t offer the full amount until he met the requirements. Huge incentive for him to ball out now.

1 hour ago, carpanfan96 said:

Bridges has signed his qualifying offer

Now trade his ass. He will be an unrestricted free agent after this year and apparently his agent and the Hornets are far off in agreeing to a longer contract. Might as well get a return while we can. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Now trade his ass. He will be an unrestricted free agent after this year and apparently his agent and the Hornets are far off in agreeing to a longer contract. Might as well get a return while we can. 

Who's going to trade for him though

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah that’s a fair point. A year of him (minus 10 games) is worth more than what little a team would give up for him. 

okay, not to knock you specifically but the overall general consensus was "yes he signed here" but that only means he gets the max and then in 2 years he can still request a trade while getting paid.  I get this is how the nba is structured now but if he doesnt like how the hornets are being built he can do like the numerous other players and simply ask for a trade.   Seems like the entire system is broken especially if the only saving grace is the original team can give the max contract but even then there is a workaround.  Not knocking the hornets or the player but more in general of how things are set up, Ball is in a win win situation no matter what he did.    That seems fuged up to me

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

okay, not to knock you specifically but the overall general consensus was "yes he signed here" but that only means he gets the max and then in 2 years he can still request a trade while getting paid.  I get this is how the nba is structured now but if he doesnt like how the hornets are being built he can do like the numerous other players and simply ask for a trade.   Seems like the entire system is broken especially if the only saving grace is the original team can give the max contract but even then there is a workaround.  Not knocking the hornets or the player but more in general of how things are set up, Ball is in a win win situation no matter what he did.    That seems fuged up to me

Did you mean to quote my Miles comment? I agree with what you are saying in relation to Melo. It’s a player’s league now which is why we need to get serious about building around Melo. It’s why he was there for the Miller workout. We need to hire a good coach to develop these players and get the team competitive so players will stay.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Did you mean to quote my Miles comment? I agree with what you are saying in relation to Melo. It’s a player’s league now which is why we need to get serious about building around Melo. It’s why he was there for the Miller workout. We need to hire a good coach to develop these players and get the team competitive so players will stay.

yep my bad I quoted the wrong post, we are on the same page with this

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, djp14 said:

No, I mean the message that it sends to the fanbase. Luck your way up in the lottery and draft a young kid with star potential, who wants to be in Charlotte. Then let him walk because you're too cheap to pay him.

Cheap?  There is a difference between being cheap and being prudent.  Not signing a player that's led you to the playoffs and performed well once there would be cheap.  Not signing a guy who has ultimately had zero impact on your win loss column for 260 mill would be prudent.

11 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Not signing a guy who has ultimately had zero impact on your win loss column for 260 mill would be prudent.

If you say so.

We're a small market team, so we're always going to have to overpay. Better get used to that idea.

Edited by djp14

17 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Cheap?  There is a difference between being cheap and being prudent.  Not signing a player that's led you to the playoffs and performed well once there would be cheap.  Not signing a guy who has ultimately had zero impact on your win loss column for 260 mill would be prudent.

We had a winning record in his 2nd year as the best player on the team

???? What are you even talking about.