• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Charlotte Hornets Summer League

Wemby will be fine unless he starts having trouble with his feet or back. zion's problem was never corrected because I'm not sure they can fix it. his foot falls are heel heavy and that's not how you're supposed to strike the ground from a physiological standpoint. that's why he looks so funny when he runs like he's stomping. it puts immense stress on his lower body. you're supposed to run on the ball of your foot more towards the front. other than fixing that from a physiological standpoint, the only other solution is to take pressure off by losing weight and so far he hasn't been able to do it. Wemby reminds me a little of a young Anthony Davis with more length. they made a big deal about AD playing point guard in HS until a dramatic growth spurt and having good enough ball handling to drive to the basket at 7 feet and I see a bit of that in Wemby. 

• Pie 1

Wemby said after the game that every time he came out he was gassed and that he needs to work on his conditioning. He said it was a lot more running and transition basketball than he was used to.

Imagine the field day the Miller haters would have if he said something like that even though he is still recovering from mono.

All these guys are going to be adjusting from 15-30 game seasons to 82. That’s a huge adjustment and it is harder for the bigger players. The NBA regular season is a slog even from a fan’s perspective, I can’t imagine what it’s like for the players. I wish they would reduce the amount of games so that there was less of guys taking games off and each game mattered a little bit more but it won’t happen.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

He’s just an awkward player.  He looks like Gumby trying to drive to the basket.  He’s not strong enough to play like a big.  He plays more like a giant small forward than a center.

that was my initial thought. He looked super goofy with the ball in his hands, the last play of the game where kai jones just pick pocked him with ease was really bad. Pack the paint and force him into taking as many threes as possible.

32 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

that was my initial thought. He looked super goofy with the ball in his hands, the last play of the game where kai jones just pick pocked him with ease was really bad. Pack the paint and force him into taking as many threes as possible.

I think the media is setting fans up for some disappointment with him, at least in year 1. If he can’t back Brandon Miller down in the post he’s going to have a tough time with many of the guys he plays against, and a 6’10 guy with muscle and man strength should be able to bully him under the basket on offense.

Heck, the ESPN guys were saying before the game yesterday that their minimum “reasonable” expectations for him that game was a double double. We see how that went. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he doesn’t end up in the rookie of the year conversation. I think the Spurs will have him on strict minutes as well.

That being said, he looks like a great prospect and if he can add strength and stay healthy I would expect him to have a huge impact in years to come.

2 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Wemby shot bad but still ended up 9 pts, 8 boards, 5 blks and 3 assists. SA has him as a forward on the main roster. 

I actually think it’s kind of bad considering Nnaji is the only big we have on the summer league roster and we played him limited minutes. He’ll have more trouble once actual NBA teams start rotating multiple large bodies.

Wemby showed better vision that I thought with some nice passes and of course he already is a great shot blocker. Once he gets his 3 point shot down he will be a solid player IMO. Maybe not a generational talent but I think he was justifiably the right pick at 1.

42 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Wemby showed better vision that I thought with some nice passes and of course he already is a great shot blocker. Once he gets his 3 point shot down he will be a solid player IMO. Maybe not a generational talent but I think he was justifiably the right pick at 1.

You really think he looks like the #1 pick?

I personally think Scoot/Amen look like the 2 best players so far. I was never really high on Wemby to begin with. I think he can be a allstar caliber player, but I don't see GOAT generational player like everyone seems to think he will be. Guys that tall don't have long careers. Last guy that height was Yao Ming and he had his career cut short because of injuries.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You really think he looks like the #1 pick?

I personally think Scoot/Amen look like the 2 best players so far. I was never really high on Wemby to begin with. I think he can be a allstar caliber player, but I don't see GOAT generational player like everyone seems to think he will be. Guys that tall don't have long careers. Last guy that height was Yao Ming and he had his career cut short because of injuries.

He has a ways to go but his ceiling is pretty high. Potentially he can become a taller Rudy Gobert with some ball skills and a 3 point shot. That’s typically a number 1 pick in most drafts. Scoot is already hurt and was 5/13 which isn’t exactly crushing it. Scoot and Amen we’re the top 2 G League players so it’s some what expected they would look the best in the summer league early.
Yao Ming was over 300 pounds which is a lot harder on the body. I’m sure he will still have plenty of injuries but his ceiling is still high. If they could redo the draft tomorrow the Spurs would still take Wemby.

• Pie 2