• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best bottled BBQ sauce

ladypanther

On 7/6/2023 at 7:09 AM, cookinbrak said:

Haven't used wet sauce in forever.

Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse Rub Seasoning, 5.5 oz.

Now if we're talking beef steak, I just use coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. I don't mess around too much with that.

And there are times when I'm doing chicken on the grill that I just use old bay.

With pork loin chops (probably what we grill the most) my wife has some ginger soy sauce garlic marinade she puts them in overnight.

• Beer 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, rayzor said:

My go to sauces

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My kids like Sweet Baby Ray's original. It's ok (kind of boring), but for pork or chicken over a pit it's got to be vinegar based with a serious kick.

I do enjoy smoked pork done well without sauce, but I really love that spicy vinegar tang.

Not a fan of sweet sauces at all.

George’s aka Carolina holy water 🔥🔥🔥

• Pie 2

On 7/2/2023 at 9:03 AM, ladypanther said:

1. Great Value Original Barbecue Sauce (Walmart)

I got to wonder about who is writing this stuff for the post and what connection they have to WM.  Reason being I saw a similar article about boxed yellow cake mixes a few months back in the WashPo and guess which one came out on top ?  Wal marts -  over betty crocker, duncan hines and all the rest.  Seems a bit fishy to me,  not that I have any problem buying store brands to save money.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I got to wonder about who is writing this stuff for the post and what connection they have to WM.  Reason being I saw a similar article about boxed yellow cake mixes a few months back in the WashPo and guess which one came out on top ?  Wal marts -  over betty crocker, duncan hines and all the rest.  Seems a bit fishy to me,  not that I have any problem buying store brands to save money.

More and more, it feels like everything everywhere is a commercial disguised as info-tainment. 

• Pie 3

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is not a game y'all. Puttin' it DOWN today. 😂

PXL_20230720_210229847_MP.thumb.jpg.f8dc188b70e808b57121ee4dade7bc39.jpg

Also, a new contender for the thread emerges. This is good stuff. A little heavy on the celery salt but other than that it's about perfect for a store bought sauce.

PXL_20230720_222247634.thumb.jpg.4095c9a1dfc00d6e472aac04f5bad69c.jpg

The brisket was a big hit.

great-success-borat.jpg?fit=449,328&ssl=

I usually smoke them at 250 for as long as it takes to get them to 200 with a Texas crutch when it stalls (usually around 170 in my experience). But one of my childhood best friends who is career military is in town and really wanted a good smoked brisket. His wife is from Texas and he was stationed there for years.  He's tied up this weekend with family stuff though so it had to happen during the week so I had to go off script. I cooked it in a 155 degree sous vide for 36 hours then threw it on the smoker for five hours coming home at lunch to fire up the smoker. Smoked the beans and mac and cheese for an hour then finished them off for about 15 minutes in the oven at 350. 

Honestly, I think the brisket turned out just as good as usual flavor wise. Presentation wise it didn't develop the smoke ring I usually get but honestly I don't really care. Is it really good to eat? Yes. Okay, winning. When I have the time to man the smoker all day I'll probably still do a straight smoke, but that's also why I usually only do a couple briskets a year. The sous vide cheat will allow for making it more often. Probably gonna try a pork butt with the sous vide to smoker cheat next.

• Pie 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, rayzor said:

My go to sauces

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My kids like Sweet Baby Ray's original. It's ok (kind of boring), but for pork or chicken over a pit it's got to be vinegar based with a serious kick.

I do enjoy smoked pork done well without sauce, but I really love that spicy vinegar tang.

Not a fan of sweet sauces at all.

If ya like these, and I do...start playing around with making your own.  About all I do now, and I can tweak it depending on guests, and meat.

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

If ya like these, and I do...start playing around with making your own.  About all I do now, and I can tweak it depending on guests, and meat.

Agreed. And I did have a few years where I madey own bbq sauces and salsas. Not sure why I quit doing it. Lol I think i just lazy.

• Pie 1

On 8/18/2023 at 3:58 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

FYI, Food Lion has their whole pork butts on sale for 99 cents per pound right now. I always buy my yearly supply when they do this. Just chunk them in my chest freezer.

Harris Teeter had them at .97/lb after the 4th. Loaded up. But usually Food Lion has them rotated into that price every so often. It's great.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1