• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Bryce Young lead Panthers to a deep playoff run?

NAS

Really solid mini-segment, seems to be the media narrative is changing on the Panthers. I thought the comments regarding our defense carrying the team are spot on.  Panthers segment starts at the 11 minute mark.

I saw this earlier in the week and agreed with the comments about the defense needing to be strong to accomplish that as well. 

Got me thinking about the importance of a good defense just getting the ball back in Bryce’s hands for more game reps and how that can be big at the end of a season going into the playoffs. It seems like the last couple of years our QBs didn’t throw a lot bc they sucked. Will be an interesting year of Panthers football. 

Edited by CLG

Dang, these over the top expectations on a rookie QB are a tad much.   Why? This is season is about growth, learning and taking lumps.  And we got new systems on both sides of the field that have to be built.  Everyone got us inked into the playoffs. 

In the last 20 years I don’t think a rookie QB has gone to the postseason without Pro Bowl caliber players to distribute to or a top of the league D or having legs to take over a game and challenge for the QB rushing lead.  And only 1 made it to double digit wins without some version of the above and they didn’t make the playoffs let alone win a game or go deep.  

• Pie 7

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

Dang, these over the top expectations on a rookie QB are a tad much.   Why? This is season is about growth, learning and taking lumps.  And we got new systems on both sides of the field that have to be built.  Everyone got us inked into the playoffs. 

In the last 20 years I don’t think a rookie QB has gone to the postseason without Pro Bowl caliber players to distribute to or a top of the league D or having legs to take over a game and challenge for leading QBs in rushing.  And only 1 made it to double digit wins without some version of the above  and they didn’t make the playoffs let alone win a game or go deep.  

Im thinking 8-9 wins this season, slow progression by bryce.  Reload on the defense in the off season and make some real noise in 2024.  I just think our defense is going to hold us back more then folks think

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

28 minutes ago, CRA said:

In the last 20 years I don’t think a rookie QB has gone to the postseason without Pro Bowl caliber players to distribute to or a top of the league D or having legs to take over a game and challenge for leading QBs in rushing.  And only 1 made it to double digit wins without some version of the above  and they didn’t make the playoffs let alone win a game or go deep.  

Hey now, I've been told that if you don't share those playoff expectations you're not a fan and must be miserable. Takes like yours may be a cry for help. I hope everything is OK over there...

All sarcasm aside, agreed. Huge amount of change on the team and it can still be a very positive season without playoffs or even a winning record.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I think part of it is the NFC South is garbage.  8 or 9 wins might be enough to host a playoff game.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Im thinking 8-9 wins this season, slow progression by bryce.  Reload on the defense in the off season and make some real noise in 2024.  I just think our defense is going to hold us back more then folks think

I think scoring points will be an issue too.  Again, rookie QB without the type playmakers to make life easy.  Young has a tremendous amount to learn and take his lumps from. While I think Young can get to the point where he moves the ball fairly well down the field....  I doubt he is going to be a great redzone player.  And that's where your points are scored.  He shouldn't be expected to be a great redzone QB with this cast as a rookie. 

Even in a bad NFCS, the Saints should be viewed as the odds on favorite.  Carr should be a better QB in 2023 than a rookie overall.   And the Saints have better offensive playmakers around their QB.  Kamara, Olave, Thomas.  They also fielded a top 5 D last season. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That is my expectation, too.  There are some variables that could add to that win total.

If the division is as bad as last year, that could open the door.  Walking out of last year, I saw Atlanta and us being on some upward trajectory, the Saints flat or worse, and the Bucs falling off the cliff.  Atlanta didn't do much in the offseason to increase that upward trajectory.  My view of the Saints and Bucs has not changed. 

If our schedule ends up as soft as it looks now, that opens the door to some wins.  Once the games are played, schedules almost never end up as tough or easy as they look in July but it does not look back breaking entering the season.

The team could gel together.  It happened in 2015.  I saw it happen to "my" NHL team in the second half of the 2018-19 season and then Stanley Cup playoffs.  Sometimes a group just becomes "special."  Part of that is a coaching staff that is a catalyst for that.  If so, the team could be better than the sum of its parts.

Of those, the only one I expect to pan out is the division.  But, you never know.  I'd be happy with 9-8 and some tangible results that give rise to better expectations in 2024.  Hell, 9-8 might well be good enough to win the division.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That is my expectation, too.  There are some variables that could add to that win total.

If the division is as bad as last year, that could open the door.  Walking out of last year, I saw Atlanta and us being on some upward trajectory, the Saints flat or worse, and the Bucs falling off the cliff.  Atlanta didn't do much in the offseason to increase that upward trajectory.  My view of the Saints and Bucs has not changed. 

If our schedule ends up as soft as it looks now, that opens the door to some wins.  Once the games are played, schedules almost never end up as tough or easy as they look in July but it does not look back breaking entering the season.

The team could gel together.  It happened in 2015.  I saw it happen to "my" NHL team in the second half of the 2018-19 season and then Stanley Cup playoffs.  Sometimes a group just becomes "special."  Part of that is a coaching staff that is a catalyst for that.  If so, the team could be better than the sum of its parts.

Of those, the only one I expect to pan out is the division.  But, you never know.  I'd be happy with 9-8 and some tangible results that give rise to better expectations in 2024.  Hell, 9-8 might well be good enough to win the division.

I seriously doubt the division is that bad two years in a row.   That would be an absolute abnormal scenario 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I seriously doubt the division is that bad two years in a row.   That would be an absolute abnormal scenario 

It would, and I would normally agree.  I just don't see any dramatic improvement from what I walked out of last season with. 

The Saints may give me the most doubt on that conclusion, and my opinion on Carr is he is a decent-good QB, but I don't know if he is enough to tilt the tables there.  Atlanta's offseason has me scratching my head a bit.  But, who knows?  Both of those situations could yield better results than I expect.

21 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The team could gel together.  It happened in 2015. 

in 2015, we paired a MVP QB with a top 5 defense.  That type of gelling isn't on the table for 2023. 

Bryce Young is going to end up having a fine rookie season and folks around here are going to blast him for not being this fictional creation that can meet these expectations. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

in 2015, we paired a MVP QB with a top 5 defense.  That type of gelling isn't on the table for 2023. 

Bryce Young is going to end up having a fine rookie season and folks around here are going to blast him for not being this fictional creation that can meet these expectations. 

Unfortunately, you are very likely correct on Young.  No matter what he does, and I think he will be fine, it won't be enough for most.  Patience is not something in good supply on this board.

The idea that the number one cause of disappointment is unrealistic expectations is generally lost here.

Deep playoff run?

I think NFC Championship is a realistic possibility. The only teams I think we would have trouble beating are the Eagles/49ers. If we can avoid one of those teams before the NFC Championship game why not?

The NFC is pretty weak overall especially when it comes to QB play. If we were in the AFC this would be a obvious hell no. Maybe im overconfident, but I truly believe we can beat any team in the NFC besides Eagles/49ers.

• Beer 1