• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Reminder That It's Not 2022. It's A Whole New Season and League.

Saca312

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

But that’s basically a formula for the elite QB.  And you basically are settling on that.  Not because you want it. 

Yeah your QB has to read the full field quickly for it to have high success. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure our staff would love a WR1 like Chase or Jefferson, but I think a QB with Young’s brain could allow us to spend that money elsewhere. You basically have to draft one or pay a premium for one. 

58 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah your QB has to read the full field quickly for it to have high success. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure our staff would love a WR1 like Chase or Jefferson, but I think a QB with Young’s brain could allow us to spend that money elsewhere. You basically have to draft one or pay a premium for one. 

I don't disagree in time.  That's the type QB he was and projects to be. A distributor. 

But I don't think that rookie Bryce Young is going to be a prime Brees.  That is where we want him to be one day.  I think he will have a lot of ups and downs as a rookie.   Which would be normal.  And the skill talent is lacking on playmaking end.  Even our weak units over the years had better top tier talent.   You just need that until a good QB enters his prime. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't disagree in time.  That's the type QB he was and projects to be. A distributor. 

But I don't think that rookie Bryce Young is going to be a prime Brees.  That is where we want him to be one day.  I think he will have a lot of ups and downs as a rookie.   Which would be normal.  And the skill talent is lacking on playmaking end.  Even our weak units over the years had better top tier talent.   You just need that until a good QB enters his prime. 

No prime Drew Brees would be a ceiling.  He has been advertised as being the most "pro ready" and with our staff there isn't a reason to think he won't have one of the better seasons as a rookie QB has had recently.  There will be mistakes by him and by some of out other players trying to run a brand new system with a brand new staff, but I think Young should have a decent season overall.  

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No prime Drew Brees would be a ceiling.  He has been advertised as being the most "pro ready" and with our staff there isn't a reason to think he won't have one of the better seasons as a rookie QB has had recently.  There will be mistakes by him and by some of out other players trying to run a brand new system with a brand new staff, but I think Young should have a decent season overall.  

There is always some advertised as the most pro ready.  Brock wasn't more pro ready than Trevor.  Trevor had no speed on the field and no one could get open.  Trevor had a talent problem just as big as the Urban one.  Probably more.  I still think the NFL is more a players league than anything.  Brock had an all star cast of studs that could get open and were feared. 

I think Bryce will have a decent season.  But a decent season isn't playoffs or bust.  If we had CMC and DJ Moore? Well, folks could talk playoff or bust.  He would have legit playmakers he could let do the work.  We lack talent.  And we are DJ Chark injury (who has never played a full season) from teams really clamping down big on the small ball and making life really hard. 

3 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

4 out of 5 starters from last year started the game. Pretty sure none of those 4 missed any training camp/practice time aside from vet rest. They shouldn’t really need time to get up to speed.

I’m not worried yet, but that was certainly not good at all. If they were just getting up to speed there wouldn’t be special meetings to discuss how bad it was after a preseason. Doesn’t mean they won’t get there, but even the OL said they played terrible so there’s no need to sugar coat it.

Eh. TC isn't game speed. That's the issue. I think that's what Preseason is for. But hey, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here. 

41 minutes ago, CRA said:

There is always some advertised as the most pro ready.  Brock wasn't more pro ready than Trevor.  Trevor had no speed on the field and no one could get open.  Trevor had a talent problem just as big as the Urban one.  Probably more.  I still think the NFL is more a players league than anything.  Brock had an all star cast of studs that could get open and were feared. 

I think Bryce will have a decent season.  But a decent season isn't playoffs or bust.  If we had CMC and DJ Moore? Well, folks could talk playoff or bust.  He would have legit playmakers he could let do the work.  We lack talent.  And we are DJ Chark injury (who has never played a full season) from teams really clamping down big on the small ball and making life really hard. 

Still way too many questions to really predict how well his season will be.  If our defense is top 10 and our OL gets back to his old form, we should be a nice competitive team that could surprise some people.  Chark is a big X factor.  He has the potential to be a WR1 like he was starting to become in Jax before the injuries.  However there is still a lot of unknowns like how good will Mingo be his rookie year?  Will TMJ take the next step finally?  Will Tremble develop as a pass catcher under this new offense?  Miles Sanders was number 5 in the league in rushing yards and he has nice hands that the Eagles never really used.  He could end up being a nice compliment to Young depending on how our OL plays.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I love Chase. I think I had him graded as the top WR coming out of college I had seen in years. But they had Joe Mixon there to help run the rock and Tee Higgins is no slouch. 

Chase and a 2nd year Burrow made that offense supersonic.  That answers your question when you put a superstar on the offense it raises up everyone else 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Chase and a 2nd year Burrow made that offense supersonic.  That answers your question when you put a superstar on the offense it raises up everyone else 

Higgins is arguably a WR1 as well.  It's extremely hard to get that kind of talent in the WR room.  The Bengals hit with Burrow, hit with Higgins, hit with Chase and then built their OL to solidify that offense.  The Bengals have the best WR group by a good margin, but part of it was draft luck.  Let's hope that Mingo can develop into an AJ Brown type of WR1 for Bryce.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Still way too many questions to really predict how well his season will be.  If our defense is top 10 and our OL gets back to his old form, we should be a nice competitive team that could surprise some people.  Chark is a big X factor.  He has the potential to be a WR1 like he was starting to become in Jax before the injuries.  However there is still a lot of unknowns like how good will Mingo be his rookie year?  Will TMJ take the next step finally?  Will Tremble develop as a pass catcher under this new offense?  Miles Sanders was number 5 in the league in rushing yards and he has nice hands that the Eagles never really used.  He could end up being a nice compliment to Young depending on how our OL plays.  

That is the dilemma I see.  We have a lot of IFs, some based on reasonable expectations from the end of last year, some based on potential that may or may not be realized, some just hopium.  And we see expectations from people relying on all of those things working out to nearly a best possible scenario.

Then we have others who are convinced they will all crater to the worst possible scenario.

Somewhere between those two is most likely where reality will settle.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That is the dilemma I see.  We have a lot of IFs, some based on reasonable expectations from the end of last year, some based on potential that may or may not be realized, some just hopium.  And we see expectations from people relying on all of those things working out to nearly a best possible scenario.

Then we have others who are convinced they will all crater to the worst possible scenario.

Somewhere between those two is most likely where reality will settle.

I could see a 8-9 maybe 9-8 season.  As long as we are trending in the right direction with Young developing I will be happy. 

• Pie 2