• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Something to think about

Rubi

There have been two times since Tepper took over that I thought we were thoroughly fleeced.  The first was The Process.  Way too much money and way too much power for a guy with basically 0 NFL experience.  The Process played them like a Stradivarius. 

The second was the deal with the Jets for Darnold.  Even without the 5th year option, what we gave up was over the top.  Somebody else may have been interested in him, but not at the price we paid.  He was somewhere between a bust and a project by that point, and everybody on this planet and four others knew the Jets were drafting a QB to replace him.

I didn't mind what they gave up for Mayfield, or to draft Corral or Bryce. They overpaid for Bridgewater, but had they stuck to the plan that might have worked itself out.  That was typical Hurney: pay them like they are elite and they will become elite.  Which I don't think ever worked.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, Stingray3030 said:

This also ignores the 4 draft picks we acquired in the McCaffrey trade....not only did we use those picks to offset some of your trades above, but it will free up a great deal of cap space in the future - he will count $14M against their cap each of the next 2 years.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your comments - but this is fair to add - it isn't quite as bad as the above implies.

Fair. I was looking at the QB scatter shot strategy. Even with the cmc picks - it’s still a ton of assets to spend on the QB position. The roster needs 2 more off seasons to recover imo. 

Edited by Rubi

The 2nd rd pick for Darnold was a bit high, but at the time worth the upside. Problem with that situation was the 5th year option with zero evidence he was decent.

For Corral, I’d be curious to see why the team was so much higher on him than Howell. Sam playing well for Wash and us not needing to trade the 4th/future 3rd for him is a tough pill.

But again, you have to keep taking shots for that potential high end QB. Hopefully we got it right this time. And if not, the future draft capital lost isn’t terrible. 12 months from now we will have a 2nd year QB (hopefully w promise) and only a 2nd rounder owed. 

There are always gaps/holes in a roster, but if Bryce can play that concern is done (and on a cheap rookie contract), and we have some good pieces and cap flexibility. A big if, but that’s where we are. 

20 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Hindsight imo. 

Darnold remains a very physically talented prospect, but the narrative (actually true and was true here) was he was put in a bad place, but he was young so he had potential still. The price paid was debatable (I think it was rich), but taking a chance was fine.

Corral was fine too as a prospect. His physical traits were attractive in the 3rd, even on a trade up. But he didn’t make sense in the end because Rhule clearly didn’t intend on giving him a shot. 

I’m certain I’m in the minority here, but this is how I see it: between Young and Corral, we have two lotto tickets. We have a lot invested in Young, but in reality, we just need one of these two to be a great (quality) QB within two seasons. We hope it’s Young because more is at stake, but in the end, you just need a great QB, and I honestly don’t care where that QB comes from. 

Having two young QB’s makes me feel more at ease. We have a lot of eggs in the Young basket, but I feel better knowing I have a Corral basket off to the side with a few eggs in it too. 

Yeah, I think that the cost to trade up for Corral was simply your average run-of-the-mill trade during a draft. It's a swing with relatively minimal cost. 

As for Rhule giving Corral a legit shot, I believe that was his intent until Baker Mayfield really became feasible. I think that once we were able to acquire Baker for relatively cheap, Rhule flipped the whole script for Corral. Corral had a decent situation turn into the worst situation possible. He was not put into the best situation to be developed, much less succeed. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Side Note: I read this thread title in the voice of Bonnie Raitt

I read the thread title of all your threads in the voice of Morgan Freeman.

Zod's threads in the voice of Agent Smith from The Matrix.

The Big Kat in the voice of Kermit the Frog.

Nas gets Denzel Washington.

Ricky Spanish gets Ace Ventura.

Juan gets Ruby Rodd from The Fifth Element.

Karl Spackler gets Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder.

LadyPanther's threads I hear in the voice of Cate Blanchett.

Linville Gorge sounds like Ryan Reynolds.

Rum Ham sounds like Bart Simpson.

Rayzer's threads for some reason sound like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

CamwoahCam sounds exactly like the Swedish Chef.

and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hears 4Corners threads in the voice of Gilbert Godfrey.

• Pie 5

8 hours ago, Rubi said:

Fair. I was looking at the QB scatter shot strategy. Even with the cmc picks - it’s still a ton of assets to spend on the QB position. The roster needs 2 more off seasons to recover imo. 

I do not think the deals that were made is the main reason we need a season or 2 more to be a contender.  This team was already a dozen or more players away from that since 2017 - with Luke retiring early, Cam flaming out, and the end of the Rivera era.  Rhule certainly made it worse but Rivera had back to back losing seasons before he left.  We needed a complete rebuild with little to no assets for Fitt to use.  

Fitt has only been here 2 seasons also - both the 2021 and 2022 drafts were very good Horn over Surtain isn't a mistake yet, just injury issues.  Horn has been outstanding when on the field.  Corral isn't turning into a starter yet, but his cost was great.  I agree the Darnold deal was an overpay, but worth the risk when you had NO QB worth starting and no FA market.  Personally I think Fitt has done great, I am happy to keep rolling with him.

2 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I read the thread title of all your threads in the voice of Morgan Freeman.

Zod's threads in the voice of Agent Smith from The Matrix.

The Big Kat in the voice of Kermit the Frog.

Nas gets Denzel Washington.

Ricky Spanish gets Ace Ventura.

Juan gets Ruby Rodd from The Fifth Element.

Karl Spackler gets Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder.

LadyPanther's threads I hear in the voice of Cate Blanchett.

Linville Gorge sounds like Ryan Reynolds.

Rum Ham sounds like Bart Simpson.

Rayzer's threads for some reason sound like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

CamwoahCam sounds exactly like the Swedish Chef.

and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hears 4Corners threads in the voice of Gilbert Godfrey.

Heh 😄

Kudos, dude. I got a good laugh out of this.

I might have to change my avatar now 🤔

Edited by Mr. Scot

As much as I believe Bryce can be a superstar in the NFL, I wonder if we should have gone after Caleb Williams. They are different types of QBs but I've seen a few "experts" say that he is the better prospect. Did we go all in a year too soon?

On 8/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Wolfcop said:

Think about positive things. We finally have the QB we need. Now we just need to protect him and give him weapons. 

That's like having your dream home only to find out the foundation is sinking and the basement is full of water. 

Edited by PghPanther

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

As much as I believe Bryce can be a superstar in the NFL, I wonder if we should have gone after Caleb Williams. They are different types of QBs but I've seen a few "experts" say that he is the better prospect. Did we go all in a year too soon?

No.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

I don't think you can aim for a future prospect like that. Too many unknowns; who else is looking at him, where you're selecting, etc. If they had used the Bryce pick on another position they'd probably have a lower pick the following year and Williams would have cost even more. 

• Pie 2