• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most Rivera thing ever

NAS

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm still just baffled how the NFL thought that Howell couldn't play because he lost all of his offensive playmakers. Like they just completely forgot about his prior two seasons in college. Hell, most UNC fans didn't even know that Howell could run until his final college season because the staff didn't want him running because they weren't comfortable with the depth behind him. 

Dude went from a top 10 pick to a 5th rounder. Didn't make any sense.

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

Yeah let’s not throw rocks at glass houses, thanks for the reminder of our own fugups. Could’ve went Howell in the third or fourth round with out trading up. But we had a first round on pickles 2.0, but RR can’t judge talent. 

Well the staff that drafted Corral got fired so yeah it doesn't look like they could judge talent either...

7 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Dude went from a top 10 pick to a 5th rounder. Didn't make any sense.

Especially watching the games. He was still the same guy throwing the ball. The talent around him just had a massive drop off. We just learned that wow, this guy can actually run too. But the NFL took that info and came to the conclusion that he was nothing more than a poor man's The Golden Calf of Bristol. Baffling.

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Part of the job is identifying who those great players are or will be (it's not always obvious)

That's an area Rivera doesn't exactly seem to excel in.

I don't have the hostility that some do regarding Rivera.  Not saying you are hostile towards him, but some are.  I think he is an above average coach, but identifying future great players is as much luck as skill.  There are a handful that are great at it, but the number is very small, and probably is what separates good coaches from elite.   

Regarding Howell, if he does turn out to be a solid NFL qb, then it would mean the entire NFL missed the boat.  And if Rivera didn't realize what he had in Howell, then he is in good company.  Lots of great NFL qb's spent the first year on the bench.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

25 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't have the hostility that some do regarding Rivera.  Not saying you are hostile towards him, but some are.  I think he is an above average coach, but identifying future great players is as much luck as skill.  There are a handful that are great at it, but the number is very small, and probably is what separates good coaches from elite.   

Regarding Howell, if he does turn out to be a solid NFL qb, then it would mean the entire NFL missed the boat.  And if Rivera didn't realize what he had in Howell, then he is in good company.  Lots of great NFL qb's spent the first year on the bench.  

Agree on Howell. I know McAdoo preferred Corral. That one could come back to bite us.

I have no hostility toward Rivera. Though like many, I have higher regard for Ron the Man than I do Ron the Coach.

There are a lot of skill sets involved in coaching, some more important than others depending on what position you hold. For a head coach, talent evaluation is kind of an important one.

There were certainly things To  was good at, but that just wasn't one of them.