• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

And you say you're open, but there was a deal last year for 2 1sts and what ended up being basically a 1st. If that deal isn't/wasn't good enough for someone then they aren't actually open to trading in a realistic sense. 

I said from the beginning I was never a fan of the Rams trade.

I think the real missed opportunity was trading Moore instead of Burns. I think Moore made more sense to keep in that scenario given we were trading for our young franchise QB. Instead of having to rely on other young WR's we would have Moore/Thielen two reliable targets for a young QB.

That Burns trade made more sense then trading him for 2 more rookies. That's just me though, I can respect others opinion if they disagree.

5 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Offense seems more formidable with Moore/Sanders/Thielen as your skill players. Now that's how you make your young rookie QB more comfortable give him proven talent around him he can trust from day 1.

Fitt also gave Young a backfield of rushers and not a single proven pass catcher.   

Miles Sanders to date is a decent committee rusher.  That's what he has proven to be.  We should be forced into a lot of passing this year.   Young needs a reliable pass catcher in the backfield.  Not hope/belief.  

Fitt IMO hasn't done a great job around his #1 overall rookie QB.    Much like is preseason, the rookie is going to have to play extremely well for us to compete IMO given what he has around him.  

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Why do you say this with certainty?

Our recent past and the fact we haven't been a good football team.  Then you look at life of the standard great rookie QB drafted high.   We traded CMC.  Combine all that. 

If we play a good football team, we are going to have to pass to attempt to compete.  Plus, the league is designed for that to be how you move the ball. 

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Fitt also gave Young a backfield of rushers and not a single proven pass catcher.   

Miles Sanders to date is a decent committee rusher.  That's what he has proven to be.  We should be forced into a lot of passing this year.   Young needs a reliable pass catcher in the backfield.  Not hope/belief.  

Fitt IMO hasn't done a great job around his #1 overall rookie QB.    Much like is preseason, the rookie is going to have to play extremely well for us to compete IMO given what he has around him.  

I mean Bryce Young didn't come free...

I said I wish he traded Burns instead of Moore in that scenario. He got Mingo in the 2nd so lets not judge him until we see what we have in Mingo.

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I mean Bryce Young didn't come free...

I said I wish he traded Burns instead of Moore in that scenario. He got Mingo in the 2nd so lets not judge him until we see what we have in Mingo.

Mingo is still a rookie.  The bar and load some are expecting from them just unreasonable.  They both have to learn and grow.  Time.  Not carry the pass game out the gate. 

was TMJ ready for a big load as a rookie? Nah. And that's normal.  And he was a better collegiate WR than Mingo. 

I mean, anything can happen. But expectations should not be for the exception of things. And then doing that across the board for everyone. 

Bryce Young being better than every other uber talented highly drafted QB out the gate. 

Mingo being a day 1 contributor. 

Miles Sanders going from being bad for years in the pass game to being CMC lite. 

Chark staying healthy

Theilen hitting a time machine

and on and on. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Mingo is still a rookie.  The bar and load some are expecting from them just is just unreasonable.  They both have to learn and grow.  Time. Not carry the pass game out the gate. 

Never judge a book by its cover.

Read the book let it play out. Judging it before you read it could backfire especially if it was a good book.

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Our recent past and the fact we haven't been a good football team.  Then you look at life of the standard great rookie QB drafted high.   We traded CMC.  Combine all that. 

If we play a good football team, we are going to have to pass to attempt to compete.  Plus, the league is designed for that to be how you move the ball. 

I disagree with this take. It's a completely new system, and we will be a run heavy offense. Even in the Athletic article is was acknlowedged by league execs that we will be a team that relies on it's defense and running offense. 

If we are able run the ball... then i dont think the two reasons you have shared plays any role in how our offense is run.  

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

DJ Moore was not a game breaker. Full stop. DJ Moore broke one game and then got a penalty and lost us the game. Good player, but I can’t believe some of y’all are suggested we should’ve traded Burns instead of Moore. Ewwww.

I mean, if the primary focus is and should be about growing your #1 overall QB.....I'd rather have Moore.  

What the most important thing in Carolina right now? How many wins you squeak out or how good you can get Bryce Young going? 

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I said from the beginning I was never a fan of the Rams trade.

I think the real missed opportunity was trading Moore instead of Burns. I think Moore made more sense to keep in that scenario given we were trading for our young franchise QB. Instead of having to rely on other young WR's we would have Moore/Thielen two reliable targets for a young QB.

That Burns trade made more sense then trading him for 2 more rookies. That's just me though, I can respect others opinion if they disagree.

There are 2 partners in a trade. 

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

I'm a Burns fan. 

I'm not a fan of our GM doing dumb stuff.  Hopefully Fitt gets him signed to a reasonable deal.  And if he doesn't?  I won't have an issue with Burns.  I'll have an issue with the front office. 

I feel like taking that deal for Burns only works out if we're committing to a full scale rebuild which we aren't. 3 picks in 3 separate drafts we wouldn't have been able to replace Burns this year with that. And while we wait for year 2 or 3 of the rebuild we are also wasting the years and rookie contracts of Derrick Brown, Jaycee Horn, Chinn, and even Young. whereas with Burns it gives us a more complete defense. Hopefully a top 10 at worst top 15 unit this year (hopefully). Next year when we have even more ammunition we could see a nice 3-5 year window with this core of players and hopefully have a Seahawks LoB/Russell Wilson type team if it all works out.