• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big fan of Burns but...

NAS

The problem is that we're not going to get the same offer the Rams gave us, a team that is fooling itself thinking it's one player away from contention and thus ending up giving us a Top 10 pick, plus more, for him.

Best we could hope for would be for an actual contending team wanting him and get a late first for him.

Having said that, I'm not against trading him for 2 firsts still, but I'd rather he stay.  

I just see a lot of downsides to letting him play out the year without having signed an extension, and none of them are good.  There is a very minimal chance that he has the season we're all expecting/wanting him to have and that being a good thing for us if he hasn't already signed his deal.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, NAS said:

If this contract thing becomes an issue and he continues to hold out, is there still a trade market for him for a "win now" team that may be willing to give multiple first round picks? 

Next year's draft is loaded with talent.  We're hopefully set at the QB position with Bryce, but the feeding frenzy on QBs will ensure there will be plenty of impact players in the top 15 on Defense including:

• Edge/DL: Jared Verse, Chop Robinson, Di Jerzhan Newton, Leonard Taylor III, Laiatu Latu. 
  • CB:  Kool-Aid McKinstry, Kalen King, Cooper DeJean

Not to mention, on the offensive side of the ball:

• WRs:  Marvin Harrison Jr.  (assuming he's healthy"), Malik Nabers 
  • TE:  Brock Bowers (he'll be what Kyle Pitts was supposed to be)

To be clear, I want Burns back, but we have to do what's right for the franchise.  If this year isn't about winning, then getting some draft picks back at a cheaper contract may make sense.  What do you think?

If he does get moved, I can’t see getting two firsts as an offer from LA again, I dunno, I just hope this gets done soon. 

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

I mean, I get him wanting money, but he made a point to say during training camp he’s showing up to practice. What changed? 

Honestly, he probably just assumed a deal would have been done by now, so he said what he did to look like the good team player he was trying to be, never expecting it to get this far and force his hand.

• Pie 6

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The problem is that we're not going to get the same offer the Rams gave us, a team that is fooling itself thinking it's one player away from contention and thus ending up giving us a Top 10 pick, plus more, for him.

I could see someone like the Bills doing it, there's a chance they don't even make the playoff based on SOS. 

11 minutes ago, NAS said:

If this contract thing becomes an issue and he continues to hold out, is there still a trade market for him for a "win now" team that may be willing to give multiple first round picks? 

Next year's draft is loaded with talent.  We're hopefully set at the QB position with Bryce, but the feeding frenzy on QBs will ensure there will be plenty of impact players in the top 15 on Defense including:

• Edge/DL: Jared Verse, Chop Robinson, Di Jerzhan Newton, Leonard Taylor III, Laiatu Latu. 
  • CB:  Kool-Aid McKinstry, Kalen King, Cooper DeJean

Not to mention, on the offensive side of the ball:

• WRs:  Marvin Harrison Jr.  (assuming he's healthy"), Malik Nabers 
  • TE:  Brock Bowers (he'll be what Kyle Pitts was supposed to be)

To be clear, I want Burns back, but we have to do what's right for the franchise.  If this year isn't about winning, then getting some draft picks back at a cheaper contract may make sense.  What do you think?

Don't forget, we don't have a 1st round pick this year.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

A deal isn’t done because Burns wants elite DE money and he should get elite passer rush money.  And those things are the same. 

But I wager Fitt cave and does a contract we regret.   Front office will feel the heat coming off this disaster Rhule era 

When you turn down the potential haul for Burns that we declined, you send the message to Burns and his agent of his value to you. We showed all our cards with that move. Maybe we didn't realize news of it would leak? But that's honestly hard to believe. These agents are super keyed into these things with contacts in all the front offices.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

The Rams offer was partially based on the fact that they were desperately trying to make a splash and remain in contention.  If I remember right, they were 3-3 when they made that offer, and the entire NFCW was between 4-3 and 3-4.  The 49ers had just made their big splash acquiring CMC to make their push for the division.  The Rams offer reflected that.

Right now, everybody is 0-0, nobody is desperate (unless somebody suffered an injury at the Edge during preseason that I am not thinking of), and most teams would have no idea what position to acquire in a push for their division yet.  If he continues to hold out, his trade value goes down the longer it drags on.

I said in another Burns thread, when we turned down the Rams offer, we made a decision to get out the checkbook, whether they knew it or not.  We now have to deal with the fallout from that.

• Pie 7