• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young QB School Week 2

Coheed

I hope Bryce lets the ball fly a little more into these 1v1 situations. I need to see what any of these WRs are capable of man on man even when they aren't open.

Mingo, I cannot tell a single thing he's actually good at right now and I understand it's early but just like the whole offense, I've seen zero flashes of anything. Mingo supposedly is "built", ok then use that body and frame to win some battles there. It's highlighted in this video how poor his routes are currently and how he doesn't come out of those breaks with speed at all, that screams not an NFL player to me. 

I cannot believe Terrace Marshall is such a dud, he actually came on last year some with Wilks and I thought was decent at moving the chains and being a decent body out there. Another disappointment Fitterer L.

Thielen is what he is. I called this from the jump, he should be a WR2/WR3 at this stage in his career and he's a WR1 here. That's fine and not really his fault, actually a decent signing cause holy smokes where would this offense be without him. I hope he can stay healthy.

DJ Chark, zero nothingness so far but was hurt and likely not 100%, may likely never be 100% here before he walks this year, sick.

One of the worst WR groups in the league no doubt about it, they can only go up from here though. Call up Julio Jones! 

Edited by Panthering

4 minutes ago, Panthering said:

I hope Bryce lets the ball fly a little more into these 1v1 situations. I need to see what any of these WRs are capable of man on man even when they aren't open.

jump balls to average WRs that aren't open? 

I can probably guess what happens at fairly high percentage.  And it results in people being mad at Bryce for throwing INTs. 

Good breakdown by JT.  What kills me is this staff, which has a billion years of NFL experience can't figure out how to win with our WRs.  That's a problem.  Bryce is doing what he can, but he's really held back by the offense.

The Panthers should absolutely come after Seattle and run the ball to take pressure off Young.  The plays needs to include better methods for making WRs open and beating man/zone concepts (got that from JT).  Frank and Co needs to set things up for Bryce to cook.

Looking at a college football reddit (horrible place I know), and I saw a comment that the Alabama has been this mediocre for years, but Bryce Young was able to hide it with his play making.  We need to free Bryce to make plays.  I'm not sure how that works, but he seems like he's not allowed to improvise as much in the offense.  Young needs the freedom to make plays instead of relying on the play calling to be 100% of his game.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Icege said:

Mingo's route running is concerning to say the least. His general awareness is concerning as well (that run OOB on the corner route that could have been 6 was tough to watch).

Frank's play-calling issues that got him into trouble before are rearing their head again. Hoping that Thomas Brown gets the reigns sooner rather than later.

He did the right thing on that catch - he had to come back for the ball so he ran out of bounds to save clock rather than trying to regain his balance and potentially get tackled inbounds trying to cut back upfield.

• Pie 1

So this was very very complimentary of Bryce.  He really doesn't say much of anything bad about his play personally.  Except for maybe taking bad sacks.  However, hes shitting on our WRs and scheme, which is becoming a recurring theme with these breakdowns.  He just solidified the idea that there is hardly anybody open ever.  Which is obvious to anybody pay attention.  We've just got a dogshit WR room and a really stupid scheme for the players we've got. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

well, look, I get the comparison to a degree.  Not so much as players.....but the Carolina offenses.  It's basically operating similarly.  Difference is, Jimmy was just bad and had talent he could of taken advantage.   

Bryce and Jimmy clearly aren't the same players.  The offensive results are similar however.  There was a big difference in what was around those 2 in terms of talent.  

Any sort of comparison to Pickles is just laughable.  Have any of you guys actually gone back and looked at his stats that year?  Dude started 13 games and had THREE TD passes.  THREE!  Bryce has 2 in 2 games.  Also Clausen completed 52% of his passes.  Bryce was at 67% last game. Come on now. 

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Good breakdown by JT.  What kills me is this staff, which has a billion years of NFL experience can't figure out how to win with our WRs.  That's a problem.  Bryce is doing what he can, but he's really held back by the offense.

This. 

I find it really odd that Reich + Caldwell + Brown + Duce + McCown equates to this JV looking offense. It ain't Bryce that's the problem....these position players are not running good routes, sloppy technique, awful spacing and zero separation. 

Bryce is putting the ball on the money more often than not. These guys aren't getting to their spots and the OL is crumbling quickly. 

TBF, 9 hasn't been perfect and made hella rookie mistakes, but he is not the issue with this offense. Lots of positives that will only improve with reps, better WRs and a healthy OL.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I think the overreactions to the overreactions are just as annoying. 

People can discuss the product they're seeing on the field and the way the front office has handled things without being a hater.

If you actually think there's more rational reaction than emotional overreaction on the board right now, you must be reading different threats than I am.

Edited by Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, joemac said:

Any sort of comparison to Pickles is just laughable.  Have any of you guys actually gone back and looked at his stats that year?  Dude started 13 games and had THREE TD passes.  THREE!  Bryce has 2 in 2 games.  Also Clausen completed 52% of his passes.  Bryce was at 67% last game. Come on now. 

again, it's more about the look of that 2010 offense.  That's the similarity.  How Carolina is getting to that type offense is different.   

2010 was pathetic because of the QB.  Which isn't why we are getting to this type offense in 2023.  It's more about the failures around Bryce.   Jimmy was the failed part in 2010.   Jimmy brought the O down.  Now it's the O limiting Bryce.  Because Bryce can play at level out the gate Jimmy never could. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, travisura said:

So what I'm gleaning from you here is that you're agreeing that the reaction to Bryce is much more severe than to that of Mingo (the reaction to Mingo being the one you chose to take exception to), but you believe the vitriol Bryce has received is justified based off of draft capitol used to obtain him, because after two games Bryce hasn't lived up to whatever lofty expectations you were somehow coerced into having by other posters here. 

Why do you insist on using the word “vitriol” to characterize questioning arm strength, athleticism, you know… football things?

Are people calling him a shrimp? A midget? On here ridiculing him for his haircut or something? That is vitriolic, I am not seeing any of that.

And really if it is here it is so isolated you could personally police it as opposed to lumping every person with skepticism or negativity concerning the team’s future with this player, in with simple name callers. 

I got vitriol for people who want to make me expressing my opinions about football in a civil way, personal. I admit that. No call for it. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1