• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It was a terrible trade but not because of Bryce

NAS

12 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

The moral of the story is the tankers were always right and the moral victory supporters were wrong. All we had to do is lose out to get a QB, where are those moral victories now that we’ve been humiliated for 5 straight weeks with no positives to show for it.

Same deal happen when a late pointless moral late season win over the iants pushed the panthers one spot away form drafting Herbo, whom herniay loved. 

They can not process the big picture.  

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, NAS said:

This is a bad trade but not because Bryce was the #1 pick it’s because of one reason

WE WERE NEVER A QB AWAY FROM BEING A PLAYOFF CONTENDER like we were led to believe by the idiots Tepper and Fitt

Compare it to the 49ers Trey Lance trade,   who truly were and could still muster competitive season even when their trade up for Trey Lance was a total bust.

Bryce Young will not bust but it was stupid to trade away his #1 receiver and next year’s first when it’s going to be another top 5 pick.

That’s why it’s a bad trade and it would be a bad trade even if  Stroud was the pick. Stroud in this offense may have mustered a 1-4 record instead of 0-5 and ultimately it’s a different conversation if he should have been the pick instead.

You can’t compare it to San Fran. They’re an elite ran FO. Look at all the capital they gave for Lance and yet they’re still undefeated. Coaching matters, and even more FO matters. Tepper and his FO think they’re on that level and they’re not. They keep setting back this team years with dumbassery. Tepper has got to let go.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 2

15 hours ago, NAS said:

This is a bad trade but not because Bryce was the #1 pick it’s because of one reason

WE WERE NEVER A QB AWAY FROM BEING A PLAYOFF CONTENDER like we were led to believe by the idiots Tepper and Fitt

Compare it to the 49ers Trey Lance trade,   who truly were and could still muster competitive season even when their trade up for Trey Lance was a total bust.

Bryce Young will not bust but it was stupid to trade away his #1 receiver and next year’s first when it’s going to be another top 5 pick.

That’s why it’s a bad trade and it would be a bad trade even if  Stroud was the pick. Stroud in this offense may have mustered a 1-4 record instead of 0-5 and ultimately it’s a different conversation if he should have been the pick instead.

Looks like you are kind of coming around a little bit. Denial sucks.  You’ll get there. 

Edited by stratocatter

If Bryce turns out to be a good long term qb, then the trade was worth it.  If not, it wasn't.  

As far as anyone saying that we were a qb away, the only place I saw that was here.  Maybe it was on twitter or something, but that means even less than the comments here.  If someone from the team said it, then they were stupid, but I don't remember anyone saying it.  

Most analyst said Bryce was a good pick, but we would still finish last.  It appears they were right about the second part.  Hopefully, they were right about the first part.  

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes, feel better about the team, as in our future, but I wouldn't feel any better about Bryce the player.

He's just a classic example of someone who's skills were good enough to work in college and his "super brain" then took him to a different level.  But since he doesn't have NFL level abilities, his "super brain" isn't able to make up for the lack of them, no matter how smart he might be.

I think Bryce is going to be the next Dan Orlovsky or Kellen Moore.

Someone who didn't have the physical abilities to make it in the league, but will excel in either the media or as an OC because of how he's able to see the game on a different level than others.

Maybe Reich can be fired during the bye and Bryce can take over as head coach. 

He couldn't do worse. 

7 minutes ago, aGDevil2k said:

I dont think he would be doing nearly as well with this garbage offense. 

I think he would be showing things to be excited about along with his upside.

I don't know if anyone would flurish here but Stroud could show why he was good enough to be drafted top 5 by now. Meanwhile people are looking back 40 or 50 years to justify Youngs play, a time when players like Young were broken on the field with those rules. Any comparisons past 2000ish get really suspect given what the games was back then.

Any way you look at it Stroud is the best QB from that class and it's not close.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

As far as anyone saying that we were a qb away, the only place I saw that was here.  Maybe it was on twitter or something, but that means even less than the comments here.  If someone from the team said it, then they were stupid, but I don't remember anyone saying it.

Nobody said it aloud but all of their offseason actions telegraphed it pretty clearly.

• Came within one Mike Evans stomping of winning the league's worst division last year and none of the other teams made any moves to get demonstrably better this offseason
  • Hired a HC with experience who had a rep as a QB development guru
  • Hired coordinators with high pedigree around the league who could easily roll to a HC job of their own in a year or two
  • Spent on RB (the most fungible position in the league) in FA but didn't make any other notable moves
  • Most notably, traded a fug ton of resources to move up and draft the QB who was considered the most "pro ready," "best processor," "point guard," insert your superlative of choice here -- which leads logical people to think that the FO saw him as a higher floor than Darnold/PJ to go after a bad division again

The FO thought Bryce would be good enough to steal a bad division while also developing into a franchise cornerstone. Sadly, he is not as good as advertised (not yet, anyway), the coaching staff has not done a very good job so far, and the rest of the depth chart has regressed or gotten hurt. So here we are.

Edited by SteveSmithGaveMeAShiner

18 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Our OL, even with it's struggles, is MILES better than what Houston is throwing out there so far this year.

For much of their season so far, they haven't had any of their pre-season expected starters and some of their current starters were the backups of the backups in training camp.  

Their OL injuries are a literal worst case scenario and he's still balling.

Did they not expect Shaq Mason to start when they signed him to a 3-year $36 million contract? 

And this just tells me that their back-ups and 3rd stringers may very well be better than our starters lol.  Icky is at a 59.8 PFF rating for the year for example, while their back-up to the back-up LT (Deculus) is at a 62.6.  Their back-up RT (Fant) is at 67.5 for the year, while Moton is at 62.8.  Bozeman is at a 59.5, while their rookie 6th round C (Patterson) is at 60.3.  In fact, they grade out better at every individual position on the o-line compared to us.  Shaq Mason > Throckmorton at RG, and whoever the hell they have been putting at LG for damn sure is better than the worst-rated o-lineman in the league in Zavala (27 PFF rating). 

Didn't the Texans just get two of these coveted starters back last week against the Falcons (Tunsil and Howard)?  And yet CJ probably had his worst performance since his debut in Week 1?  Chandler Zavala went down against the Lions and I think most people agree that our o-line immediately looked better.  Calvin Throckmorton is like our 3rd string OG and he has looked pretty solid himself.  So it's a lot more complicated than "starters vs. back-ups", no? 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Yeah that’s basically what I meant if we stayed at 9 or traded a 2nd rounder etc to move up a couple spots I think we’d all have a much better feeling about the team 

unfortunately that’s not the case, we traded our last offensive threat along with what’s looks to be a top 5 pick in a loaded draft for a guy that’s not the clear cut number 1 option of the 3 QBs chosen in the top 10 

I think the fluff articles, comments from the coaches and overall just unnecessary hype have soured fans as well, I mean I wouldn’t have been mad with byrce at 9 but again history has told us that only 2-3 QBs of that stature have panned out…..it’s just not smart business ultimately 

I don’t think there a single success story in the modern NFL with his stature. Shorter, lighter.  Much lighter, unless you actually are willing to believe the combine weight scam. Which it absolutely was..

And the type of success the price for him calls for, just has never been had by single QB who is not larger than him.

This guy is small next to Brees. People had to use the lie that he has that stature, to support him. It is just a cheap and easy lie they can use, because everyone lies. 

5 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If Bryce turns out to be a good long term qb, then the trade was worth it.  If not, it wasn't.  

Most analyst said Bryce was a good pick, but we would still finish last.  It appears they were right about the second part.  Hopefully, they were right about the first part.