• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Both Fitterer and Reich Be Safer Than We Think?

tukafan21

44 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Of course he’s involved. He owns the team. He also wanted Fields over Horn. None of those things happened, so while involved, your examples and mine seem to show that he doesn’t appear to shove moves down his GM’s/coach’s faces. Who gives two shits if he’s involved if he hasn’t made anything happen against the football folks wishes?

Of course the team got worse. Hurney and Fitterer have not been good. Our drafts have been awful. Do you think Tepper made all those picks and trades? 

Very few owners are that directly involved in trades and picks. Very, very few... most let the football staff run everything and show up in the owners box for the games. 

4 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

The entire fan base wants Fitterer gone and many have already given up on Reich.  To us fans, it seems obvious that Fitterer is already on borrowed time and it's only a matter of when, not if he'll be fired, with the day after the season ends being the longest he might stick around.

But I was just thinking about it, and if the fans are right and Tepper forced them to pick Bryce, particularly if both of them liked Stroud more, could that buy both of them much more leeway than we've been considering?

Yes, I know the team has a lot of problems, but when your biggest problem is the QB's play, if the owner forced the pick over what both the HC and GM wanted, it might be hard for him to then fire them all too quickly.

Particularly as if say he did fire Fitterer soon, if Tepper forced that pick over what they wanted, there is basically a 100% chance that information gets "leaked" out there, and that would make it quite difficult for Tepper to attract a quality candidate to take the GM role moving forward.  If the owner is forcing such an important decision like that over the objections of both the GM and HC, then I can't see any quality GM candidate ever considering the job.

Don't say the entire fan base...just you loud ones with no patience.

2 minutes ago, Cat Fanboy said:

Don't say the entire fan base...just you loud ones with no patience.

Sorry, should I have just said the majority of the fan base?

Because there is no way Fitterer has above 50% of the fan base wanting him to keep his job right now, I'd venture to guess that it's no more than 25-30% of the fans who still want him around.

• Pie 1

Fitts job is to be part of the team and get the players the team decides it needs for the plan to work.  We tried the keep the vet coach thing in Rivera, we tried the college coach with complete control, now we're doing the whole team vote thing and we'll see how that turns out.

He did exactly what Rhule wanted because Rhule had roster control and now is doing exactly what has been decided collectively by the braintrust of the 14 Pro Day Visit crew and he's done it well.

If Tepper decides to let Fitt decide on the Coach and pick the players then we'll talk about if he's a horrible GM as this is what most, incorrectly, think all GMs do. 

6 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Stop it with the if they were forced. Scott and Frank had a damn love fest for Young. Frank even called it a proposal. They both got interviewed about it and I think it was Scott that said they told each other at the same time after the evaluation and both said Young. They even mentioned that Young was on top at the start and finish of their evaluation.

Here’s one of many articles that basically said everyone wanted Young from the start through the end:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/gm-report/what-scott-fitterer-frank-reich-said-about-bryce-young 

The Tepper forced their hand poo is just BS. Reich has sucked as a coach so far and Fitt has sucked as a GM. Simple as that.

Many many people that know Reich personally, and have known him for years, said that he had to be convinced that Young was the better prospect. The way that he has handled Young really belies the opinion that he was never 100 percent sold on him. Don't get parroting the company line, coach-speak, and putting on a good face as being in love.

If he didn't believe in him, he should've stuck to his guns, but he bowed to the pressure.

Honestly what GM will want to come to this team when we don't have a first rounder next year? That goes for a coach too (if Tepper fires Reich at the end of the year). No decent GM or coach will want to come to this franchise with no first round pick, a rookie QB struggling like hell, and holes all over the team. We're very undesirable right now.

12 hours ago, Navy_football said:

I don't think Fitterer is doing THAT bad of a job. In my opinion, Reich needs to focus on managing the game on Sundays and stop trying to be a playcaller. 

Calling plays never ends once the opening kick off happens. You're constantly reviewing trends and formations to come up with solutions, and figure out how to force favorable match ups. How can he do all that and still manage the game as the HC. 

From the clock mismanagement, not knowing who's in the game (TMJ, Thielen and Chinn), leaving Zavala in there when there was an obviously better option on the bench, running Miles into the line when he's obviously injured or not comfortable between the tackles, not getting the ball to Laviska even though he's the best playmaker on the team, throwing screens to Ian and ignoring Hurst, etc...

He's missing the big stuff because he's too much in the weeds trying to figure out the next play on offense. His job is to oversee every aspect of the game and offer expertise and guidance, even if that's just asking the right questions. Like, if TMJ led the team in receptions last week, why hasn't he played a down? If Chinn led the team in tackles/sacks last week, why is only playing 19% of the defensive snaps? 

I still have hope for Frank, but every week he forgoes his responsibilities as a HC on game days, so he can live out some fantasy of calling plays in the NFL, I lose more and more hope that he's the right guy. The team is missing his leadership on game days. That's a HC's most important role. 

Totally agree. I'm all for giving a new regime time to get their legs under them. Even if that costs us some games, but eventually you hope to see improvement and every game there is something incredibly odd/wrong that happens, like stuff youd see under Matt Rhule and his inexperiencedcollege staff. We don't have a fluid operation.

It could also be that we have too many chefs in the kitchen. Reich has always preached about this being a collaborative effort. We brought in all of these "smart and experienced" coaches but nothing seems organized. Idk hopefully they figure it out soon. Maybe this is the week they are able to put it all together and we have the upset of the year vs the Dolphins. Probably not, but I can at least dream of it happening

And tbh...the thing with Fitt is that he gambles big. And if those moves pay off you come out looking like the cats pajamas, but the other side of that is you also end up looking like a fool if it blows up in your face and unfortunately nothing but the latter has happened so far on almost every move he's made. Jury is still out on a lot of them though. 12 games left. Hopefully we see some improvement 

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Totally agree. I'm all for giving a new regime time to get their legs under them. Even if that costs us some games, but eventually you hope to see improvement and every game there is something incredibly odd/wrong that happens, like stuff youd see under Matt Rhule and his inexperiencedcollege staff. We don't have a fluid operation.

It could also be that we have too many chefs in the kitchen. Reich has always preached about this being a collaborative effort. We brought in all of these "smart and experienced" coaches but nothing seems organized. Idk hopefully they figure it out soon. Maybe this is the week they are able to put it all together and we have the upset of the year vs the Dolphins. Probably not, but I can at least dream of it happening

And tbh...the thing with Fitt is that he gambles big. And if those moves pay off you come out looking like the cats pajamas, but the other side of that is you also end up looking like a fool if it blows up in your face and unfortunately nothing but the latter has happened so far on almost every move he's made.

whats a gamble that has paid off for fitt?

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

whats a gamble that has paid off for fitt?

So far nothing really of note. It all looks bad and it's being magnified by the losses piling up. Jury is still out on a lot of the picks though we won't really know the damage until another year or two

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

I think there is no chance either one of them is canned.  Objectively speaking, the roster moves Fitterer has made have been good ones.  He was basically forced by Chicago into trading DJ Moore, and like it or not, moving on from CMC was the right decision.  He's flourishing now, but in a system where literally every running back they've had has flourished. 

Reich hasn't had enough time to even begin implementing a system, and the team is littered with injuries.  Not saying he's any good, but the same people who say we need to give Bryce time should understand that no coach on earth can implement an entirely new system with a whole new staff in one season.

The biggest mistake of all was the one Tepper made in drafting the wrong guy.  I think he knows that, and because of it he knows he has to be patient with this staff.

2 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I think there is no chance either one of them is canned.  Objectively speaking, the roster moves Fitterer has made have been good ones.  He was basically forced by Chicago into trading DJ Moore, and like it or not, moving on from CMC was the right decision.  He's flourishing now, but in a system where literally every running back they've had has flourished. 

gary-coleman-confused.gif